22-250 load Barnes 55gr TTSX

Kjsguns

Has anyone tried the 55gr Tipped triple shock in their 22-250. My Barnes Manual doesn't list this bullet and I found some for sale so I picked up a box and wanted to give them a try. I will probably start with some H380 and possible Win 760 since I have those on hand. Just want to see if anyone has had luck with these at all

Be aware that Barnes lists those bullets as requiring a 1:9 twist to stabilize them, and many .22-250s are 1:14 or 1:12 twist. The polymer tip and lighter copper instead of lead construction means they are much longer than a conventional 55 gr bullet.

Last edited:
Yes the box said 1:10 or faster but in the past I've used bullets that "require" faster twists and had great success so I figured I'd give them a try and see what happens. Just have limited bullet choices right now which I'm sure everyone is experiencing

Originally Posted By: KjsgunsYes the box said 1:10 or faster but in the past I've used bullets that "require" faster twists and had great success so I figured I'd give them a try and see what happens. Just have limited bullet choices right now which I'm sure everyone is experiencing

Because Barnes are all copper with no lead, they are longer than lead core bullets and generally need more twist.

What rifle are you shooting ? Like already was said, copper bullets are longer than lead based ones and need more twist. I don't think a standard twisted '250 will run them. The 45-50 gr would be a much better choice.

If you are going to try them ,just pick a 55 gr lead load and work up. Barnes shoot best when stepping on the gas.

Yea pretty much what I figured I'd do just wanted to see if anyone has tried them out I've used the 50's I'll just give the 55's a try and see how it goes

Well just a range update. Definitely can't stabilize these in my winchester 22-250 which I suspected might happen but I have a couple other 22's to try them in

55s will be a no go. I couldn't get the 53s to stabilize from my 22-250s which are 14 twist. If you have a 12 twist the 53s might be ok.

Last edited:
Yea I just picked them up to try them anyway. I have a faster twisted hart barrel on one of my 250's so I'm sure if I need to use them they will work in there. I'll just keep them on the shelf for now

They will have to be used in a build rifle someday probably which I'm sure I will do again so I'll just save them for that day

Back