Opinions on the Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20X50 Scope

birddog310

I have Weatherby .22-250 that I need to put some glass on. I don't have a bunch of extra money to spend right now on a nice Leupold or equal. The owner of my local gun shop offered me a heck of a deal on a brand new Burris fullfield II 6.5-20X50 scope to put on it. Considering this scope sells on opticsplanet.com for $399.99 and more on other sites. I have never owned a burris scope. I have heard good things about them, but they just don't seem to have the popularity of say the Leupolds, Redfield, and the newer up and comer Vortex. I would like some opinions from guys that own or have owned them and hunted them. I am concerned about low light conditions (early morning and late evening), also when you are out in the bright sunlight and looking into the edge of a dark tree line. In these conditions is this scope any good? Is it worth trying out? Or should I pass and be looking at some other options?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Birddog

I have about eight Fullfield II 4.5 x 14's and five of the 3 x 9's. Mine are all illuminated reticle models, and are all used for night hunting coyotes, so I have extensive experience with them in low light conditions. For the money, they can't be beat. Once made a 485 yard shot on a coyote at night with th 14x. They are also extremely tough. Kiz Jr's fell out of the truck onto a concrete parking lot and didn't lose zero.

Kizmo, Thanks for your input. Also glad to hear that you like the illuminated reticle, also something for me to consider. Bouncing a scope off the concrete will turn your stomach for sure, but sounds like no damage other than cosmetic.

My biggest complaint about the FFII scopes is the entire eyepiece being used as the power ring. You can hold the rifle in bags and wiggle the eyepiece and watch the crosshair dance all over the target. I've sent two back for repair as they wouldn't hold zero.

I've sold all but one of them now. I prefer scopes with separate power rings that are not part of the eyepiece.

On edit.
6.5-20 is a lot of scope for a calling rifle. Have you considered a 4-16 Ish..

Last edited:
I don't know if they make the illuminated reticle models any more. I agree with Furhunter about the biggest complaint is that the entire eyepiece is the power ring. It makes using Butler Creek covers near impossible. I also agree with him about 6.5-20 being a lot of scope, though if your terrain there is completely wide open it might be OK. Most of my shots are 300 yards or less.

Last edited:
The reason for a scope of this power range is number one my eyes are crap. I run a Leupold VXII 4-14 on my deer rifle and when I get out to 300 to 400 yard shots I have to have it cranked up. Here we have huge corn fields to hunt and yes there could be a 100 yard shot, but there could also be the 500 to 600 yard shot as well.

For about the same money ($350 range) find a nice used Burris Signature. They do not have the problem with the power ring mentioned above. I have four of them and I love them all. One it a 4x16 x44 with an illuminated ballistic plex reticle. Super clear optics and hold zero well. Had an older Leupold Vari-X III 6.5 x 20. Didn't like it compared to my Burris scopes. It went down the road. A Pentax Lightseeker is also the same if you come across one of those. Good American made scopes for the money.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterMy biggest complaint about the FFII scopes is the entire eyepiece being used as the power ring. You can hold the rifle in bags and wiggle the eyepiece and watch the crosshair dance all over the target. I've sent two back for repair as they wouldn't hold zero.

I've sold all but one of them now. I prefer scopes with separate power rings that are not part of the eyepiece.

On edit.
6.5-20 is a lot of scope for a calling rifle. Have you considered a 4-16 Ish..

I know two shooters that got rid of their Burris scopes for that reason.

I do have one older Burris 3x9 with separate power ring that I like.

I will not buy one until they separate the power ring from the eye piece

Back