Favorite Coyote Trap???

Loaded question but the stronger the coils and the bigger the trap the better. Probably the smallest would be a 1.75 Duke but preferred would be more like #2 & 3 Bridgers and similar in a 4 coil set up. The chain length is really a loaded question. Some say a short chain will result in the yote pumping the stake and swear by a long chain. I've tried both and haven't seen a huge advantage in either. With that said I like about 18" of chain with shock absorber spring installed with it & box swiveled in the center and another swivel on the end for the stake.

there is a lot of good info on youtube.com go to youtube and type in "wolfernation" I started looking around a couple weeks ago because I have decided to give it a whirl. after a lot of research and watching videos I settled with some number 3 sleepy creek long springs because of the conditions of land I will be trapping, they bed better being a long spring is what I am told. if I had lots of fields I would have got the mb 650's already laminated. I am going to make mine dogless and laminate my jaws and bubble tip them and ad shock absorbers and swivels to the chain. I also went with the full metal jacket speed dip instead of the dying and waxing. supposedly the wax is thought to hide odor but apparently it does just the opposite and picks up any odor it comes in contact with. I don't know if that is true or not but the full metal jacket claims to hide odor and lube the traps as good as wax will lube them. but anyways I suggest watching some videos to help you decide.

Bridger #3 and Montgomery dogless #3 and #4 with about 10-12" of chain.

I think I'm going to get some Montana #3 Specials next year to try out.. They look like a really nice trap.

I have tried most all as far as a dog less trap goes I like the mb650. This year I will be adding a lot more mb 550s just for the simple fact I will be using waxed dirt and want a smaller trap bed. I have some #3 dukes all moded that work great to. Heck there all good I think, I just hate doing all the work to mid so either by mb's or duke #4s.

KB. They take a beating and chewing and pulling but are extremely tough. Basically a solid chunk of steel. They wont bend the frames on those little guys.

Last edited:
Back