Bobcat double with the 17 Fireball

coolhand

Took this pair this afternoon with the cottontail distress. Started the call and 30 seconds later the big male steps out about 300 yds away. He came straight in and I popped him 3' from the decoy. No sooner than he is down, his mate steps out of the same place and starts in. I let her get to where the first one fell. She stopped and that was that. My last two outings were dry runs. I guess I was just due...

Now that is just peachy-keen. Nice going. Good looking cats, and rifle too.

What bullet / load did you use?

UPDATE: I posted my question and then after it loaded, I noticed that Sonny beat me to the question. You're fast on the draw there, Sonny.

Yep, the Fireball is sweet! Last year I split hunts with the Fireball and the 17 Remington. I was shooting the 30 Kindlers in both. After close to 20 Yotes down and several cats, it was clear to me that out to 250-300 yds there was no difference in killing power. The Fireball had a 26" barrel last year that I shortened to 18" this season. I've only taken 7 Yotes and 3 cats with it so far this year, the longest shot being 300 yds. But again, I see no difference in killing power. The first time you hit something with the golds, and hear the "Whoop", you'll be sold!

Last edited:
Now that's a nice pair. OK, my curiosity has gotten the best of me so I've got to ask. No exits with the 30 Golds? Where did you hit them at?
Your getting some nice velocities with those 30's out of an 18" barrel. Gotta love 17 calibers and their DRT performance.
thumbup.gif

Never an exit with the Golds unless hit behind the shoulder. I shoot all of mine in the shoulder chest area. Always the same, pinhole inlet no exit. The second cat of the pair was angled toward me at 60 yds. The Gold hit her in the chest and literally blew both eyes out of the sockets. First time I've ever seen that.

Originally Posted By: PrusonJust ordered some Kindlers today, alright.

Where did you find the Kindler 30's? I would like to order some also.

Originally Posted By: coolhandNever an exit with the Golds unless hit behind the shoulder. I shoot all of mine in the shoulder chest area. Always the same, pinhole inlet no exit. The second cat of the pair was angled toward me at 60 yds. The Gold hit her in the chest and literally blew both eyes out of the sockets. First time I've ever seen that.

That is great. I've never used the Golds and may have to some day. In 30's I had been using Nagels and now I'm switching to BlackHole Bullets. Generally I use 25gr. since my shots never exceed 250yds. give or take.

Lots of of custom bullets available for the .17's I'm learning. And am also quite glad!!! What weight have ya found to be over all good for fox, bobcat, and coyote?? Running a .17 Hornet. ( FUR FRIENDLY ) By the way GREAT JOB on calling a double on the SHORT TAILS!!! I sure live for seeing them SPOTED SHORT TAILS come sneaking in to the call. Although I get singles coming in have never had a double, that I knew of.
confused.gif
But I guess a guy can dream!!!

Take care, Willie

Back