Snares and deer?

emmac13

I am new to trapping. I have been searching and learning a lot. I know you place a snare either low or high on a run based on the critter you want to catch. I would like to catch fox/coyotes. Do you have to worry about deer? I have heard this asked around friends and the answer is "NO". Has anybody had issues getting deer caught in a snare? I would hate to catch and have to deal with a deer. I plan to make some "penny washer snares". Thanks

Did some searching here with the PM seach engine powered by Google. It happens. Deer sometimes feed into snares. With time and experience I will learn where NOT to set a snare because this is most probable. There are mechanisms that can be added to the snare to make them break away or not close all the way. i.e. J hooks

I am fairly new to trapping as well and my short experience with snares has been miserable. I have caught two deer around the neck and both were in snare loops set for fox under fences. the loops were 5" diameter less than 6" off the ground. I don't have a clue how to prevent catching them so I quit using them. Ill be watching to see if there are any responses that will help us. Thanks for asking a good question.

Some states require break-away links on snares (wanna say 150#) in case you catch deer. Frankly, my experience has been that break-away links are worse than hard tied. At least if a deer gets stuck in my snare set, it has a chance of me finding it in the morning before it's dead. On the other hand, I've found dead deer with torn away snares that got snagged over fences, in brush, etc. Around the neck, 150lbs is enough to set the snare tight enough to kill a deer, but if it catches a leg, the break-aways let the deer escape WITH A SNARE SET AROUND THEIR LEG. A tarp, a pair of partners, and some wire cutters get a leg snared deer free. But if it runs off, then it's usually coyotes that get it out of the snare after it snags up on something else.

That's the bad part of catch/kill traps like conibears or snares, non-specific catch, and kill before you get there. Gotta have a tough stomach, 'cuz every now and then a deer, neighbors run-away dog, etc will find their way into your trap. (Not condemning it, just saying it happens).

I have also read a little on "jump sticks". I guess it forces the deer to jump through, therefore knocking the snare off hanger. Rather than walking or feeding into the snare.

In PA we only allowed to use "cable restraints", not snares. In other words, there is to be no locking device to choke the animal, and they seem to be generally working well for guys. There is some debate right now on some newer-style sliders as to whether they are "locks" or "sliders". We must also have breakaway devices to allow most deer to beak them off to get away, but some guys have come along checking their line and found small deer still caught. nothing is perfect, but they tend to be more ice/freeze/thaw proof, and are much lighter and cheaper than traps! Proper loop height and size really help with avoiding non-target and hip catches.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorSome states require break-away links on snares (wanna say 150#) in case you catch deer. Frankly, my experience has been that break-away links are worse than hard tied. At least if a deer gets stuck in my snare set, it has a chance of me finding it in the morning before it's dead. On the other hand, I've found dead deer with torn away snares that got snagged over fences, in brush, etc. Around the neck, 150lbs is enough to set the snare tight enough to kill a deer, but if it catches a leg, the break-aways let the deer escape WITH A SNARE SET AROUND THEIR LEG. A tarp, a pair of partners, and some wire cutters get a leg snared deer free. But if it runs off, then it's usually coyotes that get it out of the snare after it snags up on something else.

That's the bad part of catch/kill traps like conibears or snares, non-specific catch, and kill before you get there. Gotta have a tough stomach, 'cuz every now and then a deer, neighbors run-away dog, etc will find their way into your trap. (Not condemning it, just saying it happens).

I think you have the wrong idea on how beakaways work, The idea on a breakawy snare is for the snare to breakaway on the lock end of the snare when deer or livestock are accidently caught. The snare should remain attached to the staking device not with the animal.

What Tray 1 said.

Snare should "blow apart" and not be on the animal with a break-away device.

Set trails with minimal deer traffic if possible...and use a stick over snare at a 45 so deer will step around snare set. Nothing is 100%.

Look up Ohio snaring guide on Hal Sullivans web site@ www.sullivansline.com

Back