90 grain .270 for varments???

Bloodhound

I was at the GunShow this weekend, and in a trade, I aquired a Savage 110 in .270. It is a VERY clean gun...I thouhgt about selling it, but then as I was thumbing through my loading manuels, I saw the 90 grain bullets from Sierra, and Speer....I have kinda looking at a 243 for a longer range varment gun...but well this gun is so slick, looks like new, and I have less than $175 in it...I have dies and some brass, so I was thinking why not???? I know it won't be the most fur friendly round, but the same could be said of the .243, the 6mm, and the ,25s, and it should reach out and touch them. Any and al comments are welcome.

I like the 270 for a long range varmint rig and the 264 even more.

The Hornady 110 gr VMax in .277" has a ballistic coefficient of .365 which is twice as good as that 90 gr bullet. That's the one to use.

I shot 90 grain Sierras out of my 270 when I first started hunting predators. You're right about them not being fur friendly. They weren't all that accurate either. I was able to work up a load that was minute-of-coyote however. It'll reach out and whack 'em good. I'd try the Hornady bullet that Savage 99 recommends first. My most accurate load was the 130 grain bullet that I used for deer. It too was very effective on coyotes and bobcats.

Bloodhound:

I also have used my .270 for varmint hunting.. My load for my two .270's was the 90gr. Sierra HP, with 53.0/IMR4064 in Winchester Cases with CCI200 primers.. Velocity in my 22" barrels was 3470 to 3490 fps, and that load would group right at 1" or slightly better at 100 yards.. It was a devasting load.. Now I use my .223 and 6mm for varmints..

This load was a max load in my .270's, so if you try it, work up to it slowly, watching for pressure signs.

Dave

I've shot my 90gr. Sierra load in three different .270 Wins, with two Rems. shooting .7 to .8 and a Browning A Bolt with Boss that cut the holes together. Use IMR4064 and very pleased with this load for vermin. Explosive.

Last spring, I loaded some .270 Win. with 90 gr. Speer TNT's using Varget powder and got under 1 inch accuracy at 100 yds. out of a sporter weight A-Bolt. I was getting 3400+ fps and yes, they are very explosive!

I use these with 26 grains of SR 4759. They are great for under 150 yards and hardly kick. Otherwise I use H4350 and get exceptional accuracy.

Quote:
I use these with 26 grains of SR 4759. They are great for under 150 yards and hardly kick. Otherwise I use H4350 and get exceptional accuracy.

This is an excellent idea and what I have been doing. My formula for IMR's SR 4759 is the 50% rule meaning that if a 270 might use say 56 grs of conventional powder for full loading density then use half of that or 28 grs of 4759 with a light bullet for the caliber for your reduced load. The load of 26 grs could be just as good or better and he has tested his load.

Such loads usually produce about 2600 to 2800 fps and hit low at the intended short ranges. The trick to sighting them in is just to use the bottom plex on your variable as a post. Sight the load in by changing the magnification. The higher the power the higher the impact.

Such reduced loads are a perfect replacement for the inaccurate "Hornet" desires that inflict some. Just load up your 223 as suggested above with 26 x 50% or 13 grs of 4759 and a 40 gr bullet and you will have an accurate Hornet.

The beauty of IMR's SR 4759 is that it was designed just for this purpose and is a high bulk powder. Thus if you use these loads they cannot be double charged as the case will be over filled.

Back