AR-15 Trigger for varmint hunting

Originally Posted By: mpitmannI really enjoy the JP Trigger kit. Takes a little modification to get everything adjusted right but once that's done its a great trigger. Breaks right around 3-3.5#.

I also have a Timney in my AR-10. For the price, I'd go with the JP. They both break clean and are around the same #.
+1 for the JP. I use the JP adjustable competition trigger on all my ARs. It does require some patience to get them adjusted properly. I've found that the only people that don't like em didn't take the time to adjust it right (it's really not that tough, plus they come with a video that you can follow step by step). All three of mine break consistent, clean, no over travel, no take up. I've tuned one down to 2# for varmints and the others are right at 3#. Best of all, they're WAY cheaper than a Timney or Geissele. If you don't have the patience or time to tune the JP and money isn't an issue Geissele and Timney drop ins pretty are awesome, I'm just a cheap azz I suppose.

Originally Posted By: .223 shooterI would have to put my vote in for the 3lb Timney trigger also. It is a simple 10 minute drop in process to install and is a very smooth, clean breaking trigger. I would also highly recommend getting it from Joe Bob's. I live within 15 minutes of Timney but got my trigger $30.00 cheaper from Joe Bob's than Timney lists on their website. With the free shipping and free T-shirt, I feel like it was a tremendous deal. I ordered it on Tuesday afternoon and it was in my mail box on Friday morning. Thanks Joe Bob's. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the order!

We sell a ton of the Timney 3LB triggers, and I personally have a couple myself. They're a really nice AR trigger!

I have several. Like the JP but for simplicity and ease of installation and prices around 160.00 to 180.00 the CMC is excellent. The most recent one I put in breaks clean; no creep, at 2lbs. 14 oz. on my lyman electronic trigger pull gauge.

After reading your Post and doing much research, I decided to change out the trigger in my Rem. R15 VTR. (I think the person that wrote the description of the new factory single stage trigger had no idea what "is as cleanbreaking as they come" could be!
I ordered today from JOEBOB ALG ACT tuned trigger
JP AR15 red. power kit
JB AR15 grip screw trig. adj.
The Grip Screw Adjusters are out of stock but I'll get trigger and springs installed and screw will just make a good thing better. THANKS and THANKS JOEBOB

Originally Posted By: MacAttackLove my Geissele SSA

Me too. It's a two stage trigger with the first stage about 2.5 lbs on the uptake and the trigger releases with the next 2 lbs of pull.

Very smooth trigger and it was installed at the factor on my Ambush Firearms 5.56 AR15.

The only thing I have to compare to the Geissele SSA trigger is the Remington Trigger that the gun smith at Gander Mountain put on my old Remington Model 660 in 222 cal that had a factor recall on a bad factory trigger. I don't have the Remington Mark X or X mark trigger from what I understand. I heard that might be a much better trigger.

The gun smith adjusted my trigger pull to about 4 lbs so it's good for hunting.

The Geiselle SSA trigger is so much soother than my Remington's trigger.

I have a Ruger 22 10/14 and the Geiselle trigger is better than the trigger on the Ruger rifle's trigger too.

I figure that Daniel Defense made a great hunting rifle so I'm satisfied with their choice of using the Geiselle SSA trigger on my rifle. It works well for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cedarcreekcoonerI just replaced a Rock River 2 stage for a CMC I really like it

I checked out one of the CMC Flat 3.5 lb triggers today. Loved it.

Responding is moot at this point, since the deal has been made already, but I'll throw in my votes for AR triggers (yes, all 2 stage triggers, even for hunting predators and varmints - I prefer them for all types of shooting):

In this order:

Geiselle 2 stage - I run mostly Match, but the DM and SSA I have shot are quite nice

Bushmaster Match 2 stage - Was my first "nice AR trigger", still enjoy them

RRA 2 stage - big fan, and really affordable in the scheme of things

Replacement springs for the Bushy or the RRA can bring the weights down scary low.

I am also looking at a CMC trigger, can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of either the curved or straight triggers?

Originally Posted By: dhc-6I am also looking at a CMC trigger, can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of either the curved or straight triggers?

Personally what I like about the flat design by CMC is that no matter how high or low I am on the trigger it's always the same feel. That's just me though.

Back