buying a new press

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: freddieWell the deal fell through on the RC2 I found. Still looking though

Well fortunately for you... that still leaves you the opportunity to buy a Forster Co-Ax

Yep.
That's a good way to look at it.
grin.gif

I started out on a RCBS RockChucker that I bought from a Garage sale. I gave that press to my younger brother and bought a new one. I grew tired of the single stage and decided to buy the Redding T-7 Turret press.
I love this press. Mine came with the primer feed tube kit that mounts to the press. It has 7 stations where you can install dies. I can have two different pistol calibers on the head or three different rifle calibers. I haven't installed the powder set up where I can drop the charge through the die yet. I still charge each case by hand. The heads are removable and you can buy more of them and keep dies mounted. I have found this press to be rock solid and it strong enough that I can form 350 Rem Mag from 7MMRM or 300WM brass in one step. I would recommend this press to anyone who wants to get into reloading.

I may try the Forster later. For now I'm getting a used rock chucker 2. I want to make sure it's something I want to put my time and $ into. I have looked at the Forster press and it's really nice and has lots of good reviews. The guys that have the co-ax must really lile em because I haven't seen a second hand one anywhere

Remember, "Buy the best and cry only once"!!! Go ahead and spend the extra $$ and get the forester co-ax. I have one and love it. If you're using custom dies you'll also need a Redding BB 2. This is a game that doesn't suffer saving $$ incidentally.

in the current political climate, pretty much everything is at some difficulty to get. If you buy a press & decide you don't like it, or just don't want to stay in reloading, you're not likely to have much of a problem selling it quickly.

Originally Posted By: CrossHareRemember, "Buy the best and cry only once"!!! Go ahead and spend the extra $$ and get the forester co-ax. I have one and love it. If you're using custom dies you'll also need a Redding BB 2. This is a game that doesn't suffer saving $$ incidentally.

There's so much wrong with this its hard to even start.

I'd like to know why you would need a BB2 because of custom dies? Any die that fits a BB2 will also fit in the Co-Ax.

(We are not discussing Wilson BR dies and arbor presses here)

I think its important to keep it simple and not to confuse those that are new to the hobby with a bunch of BS. Keep it simple so they and those that dont know better can understand it and don't go spreading rumors like Co-Ax presses don't work with custom dies.

How many people shopping for their first press are looking for custom dies or even know what they are or how to use them. Chit... After doing this for 25 years I'm even confused now as to what constitutes a custom die? Neck die, bushing dies etc... I need more coffee..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: freddieIm open to others too, I've read a good amount of reviews and lee seems to be just as good as the rcbs. I guess I should have stated that my options were lee or rcbs. And the Lee is still made in U.S.A

The RCBS press is made in the USA, They stopped having the castings made in China about 4 years ago. The Chinese castings were nothing but problems and cost more to fix than it saved.

The Rock Chucker press is the last single stage press you would ever need to purchase in your or your descendants life time. It is that durable. If you did manage to wear it out or damage it, RCBS would replace it for free. No questions asked.

The lee has a problem with broken handles. And I am no fan of their tolerances.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishyou won't go wrong with a rockchucker

AMEN! It is LIGHT YEARS ahead of that Lee Single stage, not to mention RCBS Customer Service which is amongst the best in the business. Lee's CS SUCKS at best or is non-existent.

I know that people do in fact load very accurate ammo with Lee tools, but the ones I've had my hands on haven't been very impressive in terms of the finished quality. The exception to that being their factory crimp dies, I have a couple of them & they do seem to be quite well made. I don't use them, as testing didn't show any improvements in group sizes from my rifles, but a different rifle, maybe different result.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter Chit... After doing this for 25 years I'm even confused now as to what constitutes a custom die? Neck die, bushing dies etc... I need more coffee..

100% agreed bud.

Late to the party but I began on Lee and when it broke I bought a Redding Big Boss II. Last single stage press I'll ever have to buy due to breaking anything. It is a monster!

I like it because the O is offset so not to obstruct the ram and the access to the shell plate. Also the depriming operation deverts the spent primers down through the ram and into a tube which can be directed straight into the waste can. This keep the top of the press free of dirt and debris.

I normally prime by hand in a separate operation but it is nice to use the attached priming system when just loading up a few quick rounds. Set the case to be de-primed onto the shell holder and on the way down flip over the priming arm insert the new primer and once the ram is back into the low position simply give the arm a push and viola! swaged and primed shell ready to go.

I also wanted a larger heavy duty press incase I wanted to get into bullet swaging later down the line. The Big Boss II has plenty of strenght to handle that duty with some to spare.

If you have to ask what constitutes what a custom die is and why they won't fit in a forester I have a feeling I'd be wasting my breath and I'm sure your press and dies are serving their task just fine.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: CrossHareRemember, "Buy the best and cry only once"!!! Go ahead and spend the extra $$ and get the forester co-ax. I have one and love it. If you're using custom dies you'll also need a Redding BB 2. This is a game that doesn't suffer saving $$ incidentally.

There's so much wrong with this its hard to even start.

I'd like to know why you would need a BB2 because of custom dies? Any die that fits a BB2 will also fit in the Co-Ax.

(We are not discussing Wilson BR dies and arbor presses here)

I think its important to keep it simple and not to confuse those that are new to the hobby with a bunch of BS. Keep it simple so they and those that dont know better can understand it and don't go spreading rumors like Co-Ax presses don't work with custom dies.

How many people shopping for their first press are looking for custom dies or even know what they are or how to use them. Chit... After doing this for 25 years I'm even confused now as to what constitutes a custom die? Neck die, bushing dies etc... I need more coffee..

Back