6.8 SPC SBR for a calling rig?

Alright PM family, I just picked up a billet matched upper and lower set of AR-15 receivers. This will be my 5th AR. I'll buy all the parts and build it myself.

Just FYI, I own AR's in the following calibers. .223 Remington, 6 mm WOA, .300 Blackout and .260 Remington. I also own a couple bolt guns in .308 Win. and .204 Ruger.

I run a AAC 7.62 SDN-6 can on all of the calibers mentioned above.

I'm really leaning towards a 11.5" 6.8 SPC SBR for a 300 yard and closer calling rig. Of course I'll run it suppressed too. I want something short for quick swinging with more knock down than a .223. I need a caliber that's somewhat available and easy to reload for. Am I on the right track here? What am I missing.

You guys always set me straight. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you got it down!!! For the theater you described should be a perfect fit!! 6.8 seems to have a faithful following and performs well from coyotes to big game!! Just finishing up a 6x45.. Saving for tax stamp now for supressor ..How do you like the AAC???

I'd spend some time trolling the 68forums for a while. They will give you black belt level info on 6.8's.

I would have an SBR if our state allowed them. The 6.8x43 I have is from ARPerformance when Harrison was still making rifles. It has a 16" barrel and is good for the ranges you mention. Certainly is a hammer.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: sendit223I'd spend some time trolling the 68forums for a while. They will give you black belt level info on 6.8's.

I would have an SBR if our state allowed them. The 6.8x43 I have is from ARPerformance when Harrison was still making rifles. It has a 16" barrel and is good for the ranges you mention. Certainly is a hammer.

Sendit

+1 I have a 16" Wilson Combat Lightweight Hunter Barrel on my 6.8 and don't own a SBR so I won't comment.

The sweet spot for the 6.8 is a 16" barrel but alot of the folks on 6.8 has different SBR flavors (super sweet rigs) and seem to love'em.

My 6.8 with scope and 10 rounds of ammo is around 7lbs

Curious on how this will compare to the 300 blk, seems like they'd be pretty similar in the 110-125gr bullet range?

Tom this is a 10.5 and the can mounts flush with a spctor tube and car gas .
I had it at 11.5 but choped it back to make it flush.

Camera2_zps7d208ffe.jpg

Last edited:
This is my 18" 6.8.

I loved this gun on coyotes. Had a guy make me an offer I couldn't refuse. Everything is for sale. Everything.
It was a hammer on coyotes. I put together some 90gr Speer hollow points that were pushing 3000fps. Never had anything walk away from that.

The real reason I got rid of it was because it made my face look fat.

I've been using the 6.8spc for six or seven years now.
For me 100gr speer TNT bullets make holes you can see through in coyotes.
Pac nor 16" barrel,Nikon 1.5X6X42 scope,timney trigger.

Last edited:
Here is the 7lb 16" 6.8

Same upper with different lower (3lb timney trigger), AMD mount , 3-9x40 Accupoint and unloaded @ 8lbs & 1oz

My wife with her First WT Buck and her 6.8 (4200 3-9x40, PEPR mount, with a two stage RR trigger):

No predators take with the 6.8 because I use a .223 for that.

PS: I think if I built an SBR using a skeletonized alum lower, carbon fiber handgaurd, lightweight suppresser, and a Micro Dot, I figured it would weigh between 5- 6lbs (8-10 oz lighter if I went pistol route)

Last edited:
That's awesome fellas. Just to give you an update on this thread, my 6.8 SPCII barrel will be here any day now from Bartein. Finished length is 11.75" with a light/medium contour, threaded for the suppressor and head-spaced with bolt. I'm excited to say the least.

I use my suppressed SBR for yotes also, no need for a barrel over 11.5. Mine is being outfitted with new glass right now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gary paughI've been using the 6.8spc for six or seven years now.
For me 110gr speer TNT bullets make holes you can see through in coyotes.

I like those hand gaurds,what kind are they?
I might use them on my 6.8 i am building

Originally Posted By: bobeanoOriginally Posted By: gary paughI've been using the 6.8spc for six or seven years now.
For me 110gr speer TNT bullets make holes you can see through in coyotes.

I believe they are PRI
I like those hand gaurds,what kind are they?
I might use them on my 6.8 i am building

I received my 16" 6.8 SPC II upper from Bison Armory three years ago. I've been using it off and on as calling rifle, and it works great. I load 90 grain Sierra Varminters and Speer TNT HP's at just over 2800 FPS, and its a hammer. 6.8.. works great..

Back