Are old Bonanza dies as good as new forster

bigtommy

I found a set of older bonanza dies and am wondering if they were as good back then as todays redding or forster dies.
Also I have found some herter's dies what do you all know about these. I have never heard of them myself.

Last edited:
I sure hope so because I have a bunch of them.
scared.gif

Yes, they are every bit as good. The benchrest seater parts interchange with the Forster and I'm real sure that all the Bananza/Forster die parts interchange. I know the press parts do. Heck, even my Co-ax press is a Banaza.

so i take it bonanza also had the spring sliding seater sleave? I just know forster is supposed to be the best reloading die out there and for the price of this older bonanza I just might have to pick it up.

I don't know what caliber your looking at, but if it were me I would not let it get away. Yes, it was Bananza who developed the spring loaded seater sleeve.
I never turn down a set of Bananza dies, especially if they are a Benchrest set. And if you are loading 17cal. or 20 caliber bullets that darn spring loaded seater sleeve is the cats meow. No pinched fingers.
thumbup1.gif

Forester offers some really great dies and machining services for reloaders that not many people are aware of.

For instance, often when your bolt lift stiffens on cases and would indicate the need for Full length sizing, pushing the shoulder back or "Neck Bumping" can save you the hastle of full length sizing.

Forester std neck sizing dies will bump shoulders back and the bolt will often be easy to chamber the brass. This "neck bumping" saves brass life and consequent case trimming that is associated with full length sizing when the standard dies are used that drag an expander ball back through the neck.

Over the years, I have found "shoulder bumping" expecially helpful on 22/250 cases, 220 Swift, 243 win, and 25/06 cases. On the last 25/06 I had, it liked hot loads to be the most accurate. I could bump the shoulders on cases for 12 firings before I had to full length size the cases(Winchester brand).

I have seen excellent quality of both old and new Forester dies.

Good luck and snag every set of Bonanza(forester)dies you can get for all your calibers that you are considering upgrading your die sets on or buying for the first time.

I acquired a set of Bonanza 7mm dies with my Bonanza Co-Ax. I haven't used the Bonanza dies but have used Forster dies in my Bonanza Co-Ax and have had excellent results. I'm a not a bench rest shooter but a couple reloads of mine took down and a bull Moose and Mule Deer this pass hunting season. I'll only buy Forster dies.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyDo the seater dies crimp and if not is that a problem with hunting loads

Most die maker's standard seaters will crimp, IF YOU WANT, but the match/benchrest seaters will not.

It is not a problem. Very rarely is crimping needed in rifles.

Back