Most accurate .243 under $1200?

Guns4Fun

I've decided I need a .243 to round out my collection. What are the most accurate rifles out there? I'd like to spend $1200 or less (for the rifle alone - scope is another matter).

What .243 rifle do you use and what kind of groups are you getting?

All opinions appreciated!

For 1200$ i would build one . Make it just the way you want it. If that doesnt hit the nail on the head buy a cooper. They are extremely accurate for a semi custom gun. Or pick up a remington vls and have the action trued up, pillar bedded, and have the smith lap the barrel. I have seen many gone through remington varminters, shoot very very well. Good luck! 243 is one of my all time favorite varmint rifles.

Lots less than $1200...The Savage is the most accurate rifle out of the box. And if you get a heavy barreled Varment or FS package, well they are impressive...If you want nicer wood, better lines, or more accuracy...have to go to a Kimber or custom rig...IMHO

What are you looking for...target rifle? Noone needs to spend that much for a coyote rifle. Some do and that's fine but it just aint neccessary. I have a $350 Savage 11G and best range session gave 7 or 8 shots in 5/8"
100_0875.jpg

that was after I worked the trigger a little with a stone and installed a $200 Simmons Aetec scope. I also have a Older Rem 788 in 243 that'll shoot 1/2" groups no prob. I paid $300 for it. I know for upwards of $700 you can get a Tikka and they're pretty good shooters from what I here. I have a CZ in 22-250 that shoots like a house on fire and I think right now they're runnin about $550. Just don't make the mistake I made when getting my first Pred rifle. I bought a full house varmint/target rifle. Too big, too long, too heavy for a calling gun.
BTW...Welcome to the board!

Last edited:
Quote:
I bought a full house varmint/target rifle. Too big, too long, too heavy for a calling gun.
BTW...Welcome to the board!

I did the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Now I got a VARMINT rifle, and a COYOTE rifle. Be careful with the big barrels and stocks for hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And the Ruger M77 does the job for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Guns4Fun; I shoot a Rem .243 vls 26" varmint barrel. They retail around 600-700 $. I have a inexpensive sportview scope on her untill I can afford to upgrade the glass.

I see some comments about weight so I have a question for you guys. What do you consider to heavy for the feild? Or is it realy a question of what you consider your carry / comfort zone. After all our arms are not the same length, we don't weigh the same and Im guessing we're not the same height either. My 700 is a tad over 9 lbs. It's got weight but it's not uncomfortable to me. I dunno - my arms are long too. I do like to keep to one spot and not walk around to much, when I go scouting or walk around in dense woods I'll take the Marlin or the shotgun. But that's about 8 lbs., but shorter barrel does make it easier to carry in some areas.

I was thinking along the lines of a Tikka T3, Kimber Montana, Remington, Sako, etc. Will shoot mostly paper, and an occasional varmint or predator from the back door at up to 250 yards.

For the sake of argument, say an average gun shoots 1.5" MOA. At 250 yards that's nearly 4" off target - enough to miss a varmint. That's why I'm trying to figure out which model will shoot the best out of the box. I'm not big on doing serious modifications myself.

I just threw $1200 out as an upper limit, to filter out the high-end jobs. If I can spend $400 and get great accuracy I'd be happy! I've got a new Marlin 917vs in .17HMR that shoots dime size groups, and it was around $350 I think.

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
My tikka shot great right out of the box. Good trigger and good price. I suggest them to anyone and everyone.

What kind of groups are you getting with your Tikka?

CZ 550 American should run you about $500, or a full stock version for about $575. Throw on a good scope for about the same price and you've got your whole rig for $1000.

Hi, There are several answers to this but I can personally recomend the Tikka T3's. Mine in .223 & .22-250 perform well.
After trigger adjustment to 2 lb(very easy) and cleaning/break-in will acheive 1/2" groups at measured 100 yds with Hornady V-Max. I think Bearmanric has one in .243.

If a gun shoots 1.5 MOA then it's about 2" off target at 250 yards, not 4". It's a radius measurement when you’re talking about Point of Impact variance, and a Diameter measurement when you’re talking about the whole group.

Remember, all bullets are within 1.5" at 100 yards, which means in a 5 shot group two shots are .75" away from the group center, so three of them must be inside of that. Therefore, at 250 yards with a 1.5 MOA gun, worst case scenario is a round no further away than 2.25" from point of aim (that is if the shooter does their part).

Also, 4" groups are about the same size as a clay pigeon, if your gun can keep all shots inside of that at 250 you're good to go on just about anything you point it at! ~6mm

Guns4fun:

If you want a good .243, I have one for sale.. It is a Ithaca LSA-55, which is made by Tikka. It is in excellent shape and comes with a 3-12X scope.. The rifle weighs right at 8 lbs, and will shoot groups under 1" at 100 yards. I bought the rifle from the family of a deceasd friend of mine, who died last year.. I worked up a load using the 70gr. Speer TNT bullet that averaged under 1" for 3 - 5 shot groups.. Since I worked up the load, the rifle has been sitting in my gun safe, as I have a 26" Barreled 6mm Remington that I use.. I also have a set of like new RCBS dies and 50 rounds of new unfired Winchester brass, that I would throw in the deal..
If you are interested, e-mail me at dsnaphoto@aol.com and I can send you some pictures..
The only reason that I am going to sell it is to finance a new BR .22rf rifle..

Dave

Get a Remington Mod 700 CDL. Although I'd prefer a 22 inch barrel over the factory 24 inch barrel on this rifle, IMHO with the exception of the barrel length, it is a perfect calling rifle. I have several Remington 700's and each and every one of them will easily shoot well under an inch right out of the box. If that isn't good enough for shooting coyotes then I don't know what would be.

Good hunting..Coyote 6974

Quote:
Savage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

After vast research (spent 5 hours on the Internet yesterday rather than working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )it looks like the Savage 12BVSS in .243 is what I'm looking for. People are reporting 1/2" to 3/4" accuracy right out of the box.

Plan to top it off with a Mueller Eraticator 8-25x50.

Thanks for your help fellas!

Quote:
If a gun shoots 1.5 MOA then it's about 2" off target at 250 yards, not 4". It's a radius measurement when you’re talking about Point of Impact variance, and a Diameter measurement when you’re talking about the whole group.

Remember, all bullets are within 1.5" at 100 yards, which means in a 5 shot group two shots are .75" away from the group center, so three of them must be inside of that. Therefore, at 250 yards with a 1.5 MOA gun, worst case scenario is a round no further away than 2.25" from point of aim (that is if the shooter does their part).

All that makes sense to me except the last sentence. I guess I'm doing the math wrong. Wouldn't it be no round further away than 1-7/8"?

Here's my (probably wrong) math:

1.5 MOA x 2.5 (that's 250 yards) / 2

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Back