Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 182 of 382 < 1 2 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 381 382 >
Topic Options
#2613145 - 01/14/14 08:03 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
deerslyr1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: massachusetts
Dog driller r u in mass? No lights here either but NV is legal.....makes no sense .

#2613151 - 01/14/14 08:17 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: USA
Brownshoe, sorry didn't see your post earlier. Nice pics and welcome to the Forum. It seems to be somewhat dependent on where one is located as to what they will eat and how plentiful their forage supply is. Mr. Wiley E. is the ultimate survivor and will even eat cow patties in tough times. Around here they will eat most anything. In my particlar case, I've had good results on dry dog food expecially if a little bacon grease or some such is mixed in. Also had pretty good results feeding them dog food mixed with Hardee's sawmill gravy. I can't tell they eat deer meat any better than table scraps of most any sort. During the summer they eat all manner of fruit. I've got pictures of them pulling pears off my trees, and some of the farmers have trouble with them destroying their watermelons in summer. Just keep trying to find what works the best.

deerslyr1, if NV is allowed does that mean that IR light isn't allowed with the NV? Curious laws fro sure.

Edited by DoubleUp (01/14/14 08:18 AM)

#2613462 - 01/14/14 05:10 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Brownshoe, like DoubleUp I'm sorry for neglecting your post. Welcome to the forums.

I haven't used dog food so I can't say about it, but I do know DoubleUp uses it often.

Seems you have a few predators about, so just stay at it and try this and that to see what works well for you. Sometimes there's some experimenting involved. Try not to get too discouraged, though I know it's easy to do. You just need to stay after it.

Currently my bait site is practically dead, nothing except a possum is coming, and he doesn't come every night. That is discouraging for sure, but I keep it baited and keep hoping. Sooner or later a coyote is sure to stop by for a meal. Hopefully it will then return another night when I'm waiting for him.

How do you plan to hunt the bait? Just curious.

Since things are so slow here at the moment, it has given me an opportunity to test some new equipment. Below is a test I did today with the home-made night vision.

I have been using a 12mm lens which has worked pretty good. Recently I ordered (from Ebay) a 16mm lens that has a 1.4 F stop, meaning it will gather a bit more light. It also helps magnify the scene a little bit. The field of view with the 16mm is less than with the 12mm, but I can definitely see better with the 16.

Click on the photo to view the video. The white inner part of the target measures 1.40" across. The target is at 60 yards, ie the same distance as my bait site.

This new 16mm lens is one Roland on YouTube suggested recently. I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did.

#2613591 - 01/14/14 08:02 PM Re: Baiting [Re: 6mm06]
dreamer Offline

Loc: mi.
well we're supposed to get 5 to 10 inches of snow and 20-30 mph winds. We'll see if that will Bring in something hungry

#2613604 - 01/14/14 08:14 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Brownshoe Offline

Loc: NY
Thanks for the welcome!

I've already come to realize the hunt is going to be difficult. I set up about 65 yards from the bait site with my shooting sticks, rifle and scope mounted light. However the wind really picked up and it started raining so I called it quits. I think my future investments might be a ground blind and a motion detector over the bait.

I would really love to try using night vision but will likely have to wait till next season to afford it.

Thanks again everyone for the info, and hope to have a kill posted before the season ends.

#2613619 - 01/14/14 08:24 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Brownshoe, the home-made night vision is cheap if that would serve your purpose. You can put that outfit together, including a good IR illuminator for around $300. Just a thought.

#2614214 - 01/15/14 05:39 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
dog driller Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: new england
deerslyr1, no not in ma.
6mm06, sweet set up. how do you shoot it----shoulder it? do you have any snow? any tracks in your area maybe just not at your site. one thing I have been thinking about is how much bait do you have out-- i think i said this in earlier post ... this years activity here seems up and i think it is because i have kept a good amount of bait out. when it gets low they seem to stay away when there is a lot it just becomes to irresistible.
since i shot the female monday no coyotes on the camera -- i checked her and she does not look like she has had any pups and is probably a yearling.

#2614397 - 01/15/14 09:14 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Dog Driller,

Yea, I shoulder the rifle as you normally would, and I'm also able to get a cheek weld on the stock. The only thing is the day-time scope needs to be mounted as far forward as possible to keep the bullet camera from being in your face. I don't have a problem with mine, but I did mount the scope forward more than usual.

Yes, just a little snow here, not much. We got less than an inch last night, but most of it has melted off now. We are supposed to get from 1 to 3 inches tonight.

No, no coyote sign at all, no tracks nor droppings. They just seem to have vanished.

As to the way I bait, I have experimented a lot with one way and then another, and had coyotes hit all of it. But, what I do more than anything is to put out small chunks of bait, scattered around the site. I have also used a whole carcass, and parts of it like the rib cage, and even now have been staking out leg bones that has some meat on them, but still no coyotes. I'm seeing an occasional fox - a red fox visited last night, possums almost nightly, but no coyotes. I used to attract a lot of coyotes, but not now. I honestly think we don't have many coyotes here at the moment. No one is seeing or hearing any much. Something has happened to them.

Thought coyotes are not visiting, I do get some good trail camera videos from time to time. Here's today's video of two Redtail hawks fighting over the bait.

Click the photo to see the video.

#2614430 - 01/15/14 09:47 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
dog driller Offline
Seasoned Member

6mm06, you may be right, in my neck of the woods coyotes are always a constant but what they fed on will change... for example I have noticed this year our rabbit population has jumped a lot and coyotes are after them in a big way as a result in my area they have laid off the deer, previously during deer season there was always coyote tracks right behind the deer... not this year. in your area you maybe experiencing a big drop in their food sources and have shifted another area for a while. how are others doing locally .... getting any?
your scope setup looks really nice. right now saving my pennies for my replacement scope for my deer rifle and maybe a reflex type sight for my shotgun. as I stated previously I want get a coyote with a shotgun. and if I have to sit out a night and wait .... if I can get sequence goingof arrivals I need to see where I am aiming and I thought some thing like that might help .. not sure still investigating. also with a friends help--- he has the equipment -- i want to work up a 243 load with a 70 gr nosler

#2614433 - 01/15/14 09:49 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
dog driller Offline
Seasoned Member

nice video -- always something going on -- we have a bald eagle hanging around --fun to watch.

#2614448 - 01/15/14 10:05 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Dog Driller, I know of one neighbor who trapped a male coyote about two weeks ago. He told my son that some guys out the ridge a ways from me was putting a hurting on them earlier in the fall. That may account for some of the drop in numbers, but I can't imagine those guys getting many. Coyotes here just don't come easy.

Here is last night's Red Fox, stealing bait. This is typical for reds. They pack their mouth full of the small pieces of bait, much like a chipmunk, then take it off and bury it, then return and get more, over and over until all the bait pieces are gone. One night I watched one do this over and over through the home-made night vision scope. I haven't seen gray fox do this, only reds.

Click the photo.

#2614619 - 01/16/14 07:49 AM Re: Baiting [Re: dreamer]
deerslyr1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Doubleup....In ma it's casting a visable light. Infared isn't visable without nv. Dum....who would 2nd to be able to identify a target.....lol

#2614804 - 01/16/14 01:29 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

deerslyr1, I don't remember if you are hunting from your home or using a stand, but with IR light being legal, sure sounds to me like an ideal setup for the homemade NV that 6mm06 is using.

#2614972 - 01/16/14 06:29 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
deerslyr1 Offline
Seasoned Member

6mm-06's set up is neat for sure . My bait sight is at my camp so would work there no problem ....but I already have and use a gen3 nv setup from high tech redneck. With it I can see 200yds+ with no moon. On moon nights it's more of how far away can you hit em but not a lot of open around here....

#2614978 - 01/16/14 06:36 PM Re: Baiting [Re: DoubleUp]
dreamer Offline

Loc: mi.
Got 3 more inches of snow on top of the 10 2days ago. No coyote sign at site.

Page 182 of 382 < 1 2 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 381 382 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.