Where do you zero your AR-15 .223 using typical 55gr ammo?

IAyoteHNTR

I've been looking at the ballistic charts and have watched about 1/2 dozen videos this morning concerning zeroing a typical AR-15 .223 using 55gr ammo running aprox 3250fps (+/- 10-20fps) and have seen opinions on zeroing @ 50 yards vs zeroing @ 100 yards and after looking at my Nikon Spot-On Ballistic Match Tech. app I have decided to split the difference and zero for 75 yards which according to the data should put me @ .60" low @ 50, .35" high @100, .45" high @ 125, .25" high @ 150, .25 low @ 175 and 1.05" low @ 200. So basically anything from 50 to 200 just put the crosshairs on the animal/target and pull the trigger and beyond that I can start using the drop points on my Nikon P223 BDC 600 reticle scope for shots from 250 out to 500 which I've decided will pretty much be my max that I would attempt for a shot.

I'm just curious to know what zero you guys are using and why and how it's translated into the real world for you. Mind you I'm specifically talking about the 55gr ammo running in the 3200-3300 fps range as that's my goal to find a really good shooting handload within those parameters to use primarily. Thanks.

Trevor

Last edited:
Loading up my gun/gear/targets now to head out and see how closely it performs in relation to the data that I'm getting. I'll post results later.

A lot of people say ~50yd zero because that typically is = to a ~200yd zero, and you wont be more than about 1" high at 100
If you Re-Do the math and ad 1/2 MOA to your numbers and you'll see what I mean. (it will be close)

*edit*
Using your numbers +1/2 MOA:
.35" low @ 50
.85" high @100
1.075" high @ 125
1" high @ 150
.625 high @ 175
.05" high @ 200

Last edited:
God told me to skin you alive
lol.gif
.... He also says to zero your rifle around .500/.750 at 100 yards. Grizz

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEGod told me to skin you alive
lol.gif
.... He also says to zero your rifle around .500/.750 at 100 yards. Grizz

My god told me to......wait, never mind.
tt2.gif

But tell God thanks on the zeroing info.
lol.gif

Had to respond before I went out the door GRIZZ.
grin.gif

Gotta go shoot some ammo now.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: IAyoteHNTR a typical AR-15 .223 using 55gr ammo running aprox 32,450fps (+/- 10-20fps)

HOLY SH$! that's one fast load!!!
tt1.gif
wub.gif
tt2.gif

I like 200 yrd zero.

I zero my big game guns like my Sako 7 mag here around 2 to 3 inches high at 100 yards/meters.

Like I says, vermin rifles half inch high there bouts Grizz

Now how that get in there?
lol.gif

On at 50 will normally put you about an inch or so high at 100 and back on at 200. That's what I do. Most of my shots are normally within 200, but I can just hold center mass/vitals out to at least 225 and not even think about holdover.

I shoot the Winchester power point 64 grains out of my smith and Wesson mp15 sport. I have it dead on at 50 yards. What works for me is I will shoot a shot when sighting in and then with my watch wait 5 minutes before I shoot another shot. Not really worried about groups, just want to make sure I know that first shot hits right where I have the cross hairs.
I had a chance to take a doe with my AR after muzzle loading season. Was exactly 123 steps away. I put the cross hairs on a spot on the does neck and she went down like a rock. The bullet hit about a half inch above the spot so 50 yard sight in works for me.

I did get out and get the new scope (Nikon P223 3-9X40) dialed in and shot some groups. I chrono'd the ammo I was using which was some cheap Ultramax 55gr soft tips and they were only running from 2700-2800 fps according to my chrono. I hope to get my hand loads up into the 3200+ fps range when I get some loaded soon. I was just shooting of my home made wooden shooting table and resting the gun on some bags but I still got decent groups. Here's a 5 shot group @ 75 yards.

2014-01-12143429_zps2dda012a.jpg

My Ar-15 is a Rock River Arms R4 Tactical Entry w/a 16" barrel.

So I entered the load info into the Nikon Ballistics App and it shows a 75 yard zero getting back to zero again at about 125 yards so I took my target out to that distance and popped off a couple more shots and it was right........dead on.

I saw a squirrel digging around in the ground on the far end of the pond next to where I shoot and I grabbed my rangefinder and ranged it at 165 yards and the Ballistics App showed 150 yards to be .7" low for the speed my ammo was running so I held just a tad high on the squirrel, as close as I could to be approximately 1" high, and squeezed off a shot and nailed the squirrel w/o any problem so I think I'm satisfied where I've got my gun zeroed for now (75 yards) until I get some handloads made up and then I'll recheck zero at that time.

I am running 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4895 out of a 16" DPMS @ 2950 FPS. I zero mine at 54 yards which puts me + 1.20" at 100 yards and zero just shy of 200 yards and - 8" at 300 yards. This has worked for me quite well.

Larry

Originally Posted By: IAyoteHNTRI did get out and get the new scope (Nikon P223 3-9X40) dialed in and shot some groups. I chrono'd the ammo I was using which was some cheap Ultramax 55gr soft tips and they were only running from 2700-2800 fps according to my chrono. I hope to get my hand loads up into the 3200+ fps range when I get some loaded soon. I was just shooting of my home made wooden shooting table and resting the gun on some bags but I still got decent groups. Here's a 5 shot group @ 75 yards.

2014-01-12143429_zps2dda012a.jpg

My Ar-15 is a Rock River Arms R4 Tactical Entry w/a 16" barrel.

So I entered the load info into the Nikon Ballistics App and it shows a 75 yard zero getting back to zero again at about 125 yards so I took my target out to that distance and popped off a couple more shots and it was right........dead on.

I saw a squirrel digging around in the ground on the far end of the pond next to where I shoot and I grabbed my rangefinder and ranged it at 165 yards and the Ballistics App showed 150 yards to be .7" low for the speed my ammo was running so I held just a tad high on the squirrel, as close as I could to be approximately 1" high, and squeezed off a shot and nailed the squirrel w/o any problem so I think I'm satisfied where I've got my gun zeroed for now (75 yards) until I get some handloads made up and then I'll recheck zero at that time.

I think you might be a bit optimistic about getting 55gr pills that fast from a 16in. I have 55gr sbk going 3050fps from a 20in tube and 50s clock 3175fps from the same barrel, however I am not using the best powder option for speed for the midweight bullets. Not saying you wont find a powder that will do it, but I think if you can get them in the 2900-2950fps range will be more realistic.

Last edited:
I agree those speeds from a 16" pipe might be unattainable. I have a load for a 16" pipe with 53gr v max that averages 3,169fps with benchmark at the upper end of the spectrum.

I agree, I looked over some reloading data again and it looks like 2900-3000 fps is where I'll probably end up using the 55 grain bullets.

Last edited:
Zero it at 200 yards. Should be at 1" or a little more at 100 yds. If you get too high at a 100 you can miss some close shots on coyote size animals. Like SD Handgunner said if your 8" low at 300 you just hold over a little.

Back