Harris Bi-pod VS. Caldwell Bi-pod

Dog_Thumper

When you read or hear about veteran bi-pod users, they seem to live and die by Harris. I know and have read that they are very well made bipods, but I was curious what made them so much better than caldwell or possibly other brands?

I know their new swivel mount is cool, but even before that came around, most still said Harris was better. Anyone used both that might know?

I havnt owned both but have owned a harris for over 25 years and not one thing wrong with it and it has never failed on me. My old hunting buddy has a caldwell that serves the purpose and has for close to 15 years. I dont think it has ever failed him either but it does have one leg that is kicked out to one side when its folded up.I think the hinge is bent somehow. I will also add that he doesnt hunt nearly as much as I do and when you compare the two side by side you can deffinatly tell the harris is better made. If I couldnt spare the extra cash for a harris I would give a caldwell a try though.

Originally Posted By: grinder67I havnt owned both but have owned a harris for over 25 years and not one thing wrong with it and it has never failed on me. My old hunting buddy has a caldwell that serves the purpose and has for close to 15 years. I dont think it has ever failed him either but it does have one leg that is kicked out to one side when its folded up.I think the hinge is bent somehow. I will also add that he doesnt hunt nearly as much as I do and when you compare the two side by side you can deffinatly tell the harris is better made. If I couldnt spare the extra cash for a harris I would give a caldwell a try though.

I appreciate the input. The thing is...I bought a caldwell last year because of the money, and first season (my buddy using my gun at a stand while I filmed) bent a leg and now it doenst slide out smooth, you have to pull it out manually, which can be a pain.

What size are ya'lls bipods?

I have heard too many bad things about Caldwell and other chinese knock-offs of the Harris bipod. I just purchased a Harris last week. The local shops sells the Caldwell for $59 while the Harris is $85. The Harris has an excellent reputation, lifetime guarantee and is made in the USA so that made it an easy choice for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kyle crickenbergerI recommend the model that tilts and a rota-pod if you want to be able to pan.

Yeah, that is what is currently saved into the wish list. Do all of the new harris bipods have springer legs? In other words, do you have to manually pull the legs down, or just press the release button and they fall down?

every one of the 5 or so harris that i have will loosen the nut on one leg. it needs to have a better locking system on the nut, or needs to be left hand thread.

the legs also have a tendency to ice up and then not retract or extend.

i have never used anything else, but i am not 100% satisfied with the harris.

Originally Posted By: Dog_Thumper Originally Posted By: grinder67I havnt owned both but have owned a harris for over 25 years and not one thing wrong with it and it has never failed on me. My old hunting buddy has a caldwell that serves the purpose and has for close to 15 years. I dont think it has ever failed him either but it does have one leg that is kicked out to one side when its folded up.I think the hinge is bent somehow. I will also add that he doesnt hunt nearly as much as I do and when you compare the two side by side you can deffinatly tell the harris is better made. If I couldnt spare the extra cash for a harris I would give a caldwell a try though.

I appreciate the input. The thing is...I bought a caldwell last year because of the money, and first season (my buddy using my gun at a stand while I filmed) bent a leg and now it doenst slide out smooth, you have to pull it out manually, which can be a pain.

What size are ya'lls bipods?

I'll 2nd or 3rd the Harris.I have had the Shooters Ridge models and although they do work,the quality doesn't compare to the Harris.
I have several of the Harris bipods.For ground hog hunting when sitting (Indian style),I use the 13"-27". When shooting prone,I use the 9"-13" w/ notched legs. Both are swivel models.

Keep a lookout in the forum classifieds here and on other sites and you can pick up a used one in great condition for a lot less than new.

Originally Posted By: Dog_Thumper Originally Posted By: grinder67I havnt owned both but have owned a harris for over 25 years and not one thing wrong with it and it has never failed on me. My old hunting buddy has a caldwell that serves the purpose and has for close to 15 years. I dont think it has ever failed him either but it does have one leg that is kicked out to one side when its folded up.I think the hinge is bent somehow. I will also add that he doesnt hunt nearly as much as I do and when you compare the two side by side you can deffinatly tell the harris is better made. If I couldnt spare the extra cash for a harris I would give a caldwell a try though.

I bought a caldwell last year because of the money, and first season (my buddy using my gun at a stand while I filmed) bent a leg and now it doenst slide out smooth, you have to pull it out manually, which can be a pain.

There is a reason they are cheaper... I have bent, stripped, twisted all other bipods but never a harris.

I have had good luck with the BLACKHAWK! branded bipod. They're good and rugged. I find them as a decent alternative to Harris. But I don't see them as a complete replacement.

Ive used them all over 40 years and have those brands and 2 from Outers. They are all the same IMO, the nuts will loosen over time on the ALL. Ive never bent legs and any of them so far.
I have the tilt and solid ones from 6-9" to 13.5-27".

Lot of Harris clones on the market. They all work for awhile. I've seen numerous clones fail while guys were using them.

For longevity and dependability, the Harris is where it's at.

I have recently purchased a Caldwell Bi pod and for the price I don't think they are bad. I only use the shorter 9 to 13 model for prone shooting so I don't foresee bent legs like with the longer ones. I make my own shootout sticks for about 5 bucks a set fir shooting from a sitting our kneeling position and if I leave, bend or break then no big deal. I had the tall Harris Bi pods and they were never tall enough for me to shoot from a sitting position. Cant beat the quality of a a harris but they are pricey. We shall see how the caldwells hold up.

Harris would be my first choice but I have had great luck with the less expensive knock offs too. The tall pivot bipods work the best for me. I shoot sitting and prone and the ground is never level it makes it alot easier with the pivot style. The taller models don't collapse as low but they are perfect for taller grass and cornfields after they have been picked when your in the prone position. I just wish all mine pivot but I ddn't know when I started out.

The Caldwells and similar bipods are OK for normal users, typically. However, they do have cheaper construction. We've never had any warranty issues for either Caldwell or Harris, but we have a small sample group. I'd recommend the Harris if you intend on shooting from a bench for extra stability or intend to use it hard in the field.

I have a cheap low bi-pod, that the brand escapes me, and
a Harris sitting size. Both swivel. Hands down, all of
my future bi-pod purchases will be Harris. The few bucks
one saves, amortized over the life of a bi-pod is pennies
per trip. Not a good value to scrimp on bi-pods...
YMMV, but my bi-pod funds only get spent on Harris now.

Squeeze

Back in the day Harris was about the only choice. Their patten must have expiered because there are copies all over the place now. I only use the 9-13" and have a couple different kinds. It is the perfect height for prone shooting and I rarely have to extend the legs. The only thing I have noticed so far is the off brands have had screws come loose. Not sure if they use the same materials, but with a taller bi-pod quality would be more of an issue since the legs will be extended quite a ways.

Back