Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 90 of 382 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 381 382 >
Topic Options
#2186961 - 03/22/12 04:59 PM Re: Baiting [Re: DoubleUp]
Whitebeard Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Louisburg, N.C./ Palm Coast Fl...
Way to go! Pretty yote. Nice shot. Thanks for posting.

If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow - John Wayne

#2187002 - 03/22/12 06:21 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Whitebeard]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Loc: USA

Nice going DoubleUp. That was a great shot at that distance. You're on a roll for sure, hopefully you will connect with the other one soon.

Yea, I will have a post hopefully tomorrow. Things picked up a bit here last night. Just need to get some footage uploaded into YouTube first.

#2187243 - 03/22/12 11:21 PM Re: Baiting [Re: 6mm06]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

The YouTube video clip is finally uploaded. It's only about 2 minutes, 45 seconds worth but hopefully interesting. Keep in mind that the night vision scope sees much clearer than this video indicates.

As most of you know, I have been trying to put the night vision equipment into use, manning the camera for footage, and shooting from my cabin to the bait site area. I have the infrared lights mounted in a walnut tree 60 yards from the cabin. Last night it all finally came together.

It was a great sense of satisfaction in getting all the components working as they should, from the night vision scope, the infrared lights, DannyK's suggestion of foam over the window for the rifle / scope to protrude through, and DoubleUp's modified driveway sensor, trail cameras catching the shot and all.

I had gone to bed and was sleeping quite well when DoubleUp's modified Driveway Alert notified me around 11:50 PM that something was on the bait. I had an earbud in one ear which allowed me to rest rather well and still be notified.

After getting up and situated at the shooting table, I turned the night vision scope on and could see an animal in the fringe area of the illumination, but couldn't determine if it was a coyote or a fox. It suddently disappeared but then reemerged up the hill from the bait - the downwind side. It was a coyote.

The coyote was very nervous and spooked easily at the camera flash. I have two cameras mounted on a post at the bait site. One is set to photos and the other to video. Both cameras caught the event, plus I had a Sony camera recording in the cabin which gave two different perspectives.

My digital camera (still camera) battery was dead when I needed it, so I later took some photos with my cell phone.

I skinned the coyote early this morning and now have it in the freezer. I plan to have this one tanned.

The first two photos were taken with my cell phone after I returned home. The 6x45 and 75 gr. Sierra HPs left a sizeable hole in the offside, but not so bad as to matter on the pelt.

Here is the coyote before he met his Waterloo, taken by the trail camera. Either the
camera's time is wrong or my sleepy eyes misread the time.

This project has been a lot of trial and error. One thing I have noticed from the video is that I need to arrange the lights so they cover a broader area. They illuminate well, but are too clustered and need to spread the light up the hillside more as well as outwards.

#2187252 - 03/22/12 11:33 PM Re: Baiting [Re: 6mm06]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

6mm06, great work my friend. You got it all, and did it all alone. That is quite a feat to accomplish to film and shoot, and have it all come together with night vision.

Pretty coyote too, and it won't be the last one I think.

#2187256 - 03/22/12 11:36 PM Re: Baiting [Re: 6mm06]
Spartacus Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Arizona
That's great! Nice footage, love the night vision and the trail cam from the opposite angle. Congrats!

#2187287 - 03/23/12 12:38 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Spartacus]
Wallbass45 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
WTG David!!!!
But if thats the one you been playing with the last few months,Then that means you out of Yotes. LOL What Sex was it??? Again Good Shootin David smile

“There’s a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot.” JFK 7 days before his assassination

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”

#2187294 - 03/23/12 12:58 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Spartacus]
vicfox Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Australia
Congratulations David. I am so pleased for you knowing the time, money, effort and planning you have put into this project. Your dedication has paid off as I knew your determination would win through despite the obsicles and reluctance of those Coyotes to play ball.

THE SATISFACTION YOU MUST BE FEELING WOULD BE HUGE HAVING CREATED THE SYSTEM, THE FANTASTIC FOOTAGE AND YOUR MARKSMANSHIP ALL COMING TOGETHER WHERE COYOTES DON'T COME EASY THERE.

THIS IS TRUELY AN AWESOME ACHIEVEMENT AND TERRIFIC FOOTAGE FOR US TO SEE.

Well done Mate.

#2187296 - 03/23/12 01:01 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Spartacus]
Jackal87 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Virginia
Nice one 6mm06!!

#2187299 - 03/23/12 01:09 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Jackal87]
Whitebeard Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Louisburg, N.C./ Palm Coast Fl...
Glad it finally all came together for you 6mm06! You certainly deserve it with all the time and effort you have put into it. Great video and pics. I really enjoy all your post! Thanks for sharing.

If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow - John Wayne

#2187322 - 03/23/12 02:15 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Spartacus]
pmack Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NY
6mm06 that was great, thumbup I've thought about that for a couple years. I couldn't get coyotes on camera very often, they spook at the flash, even with an IR model. Fox didn't care. This year I eliminated the camera and shot 3 coyotes in March once I commited to baiting again. Next year I'm going back to video on the trail cam and try to duplicate what you've done, great job.

Edited by pmack (03/23/12 02:17 AM)

"TRUTH FACTS & COMMON SENSE" pro-staffer

#2187340 - 03/23/12 06:37 AM Re: Baiting [Re: pmack]
dannyk Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: U.P. of Michigan/ Winter Haven...
Way to go David, persistance pays off in the end. Our season ends middle of April, although with the nice weather we have been having the projects have appeared so not much time to sit anymore, but a few revisions are coming for next season.

#2187373 - 03/23/12 08:27 AM Re: Baiting [Re: DoubleUp]
ARCOREY Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp
6mm06, great work my friend. You got it all, and did it all alone. That is quite a feat to accomplish to film and shoot, and have it all come together with night vision.

Pretty coyote too, and it won't be the last one I think.

That is quite an accomplishment. To get all that done after just coming out of a slumber and not spook the already jumpy coyote is tough. Congrats David. Did you set your trail camera for D.S.T.? I agree, more light angled up the hill or farther around the bait, even if subtle, would be a big help. Now that you have succeeded, I see you re-Vance-ing the setup and improving on it more grin. Lookout coyotes, 6mm06 and DoubleUp are the new creatures of the night.

#2187609 - 03/23/12 03:44 PM Re: Baiting [Re: ARCOREY]
pmack Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NY
6mm or Doubleup I'm being lazy and don't want to dig through this post, I have the Chamberlin Driveway sensor but have done nothing to modify it. Can you tell me about it?

Edited by pmack (03/23/12 03:44 PM)

"TRUTH FACTS & COMMON SENSE" pro-staffer

#2187648 - 03/23/12 04:47 PM Re: Baiting [Re: pmack]
MO1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: NH
Nice job on the infrared filming. smile

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it." ~Henry David Thoreau
"If politics is the answer then it must be a very stupid question" ~Anonymous

#2187758 - 03/23/12 07:58 PM Re: Baiting [Re: MO1]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

pmack, I don't have a Chamberlain, so I don't know how to modify it. Mine and the one I modified for 6mm06 were called Driveway Patrol Sensor and Alarm, I think. It was about $16 from Amazon. 6mmo6 did have a SpyPoint, but I don't know if he still uses it since I modified his Drive-way Alarm.

Edited by DoubleUp (03/23/12 08:10 PM)

Page 90 of 382 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 381 382 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.