Baiting

I've had issues this year too....I've had my bait out since last week of December and nothing every time we have snow I've had coyote and fox tracks with in 10 yds of the bait but they are not hitting it . Mine is in a field same as every year 80 yds from back porch of my camp(camp is off a dirt Rd and has a drive way 1/4 mile long so is quite secluded). Has one small 8" tree 5yds from the bait which has 2 driveway patrol sensors on it and a primos no flash blackout camera then I have 2 more steel rods driven into the ground which each has a sensor on it. Last Monday I moved the camera 20 yds away and checked it again today and same story fresh tracks 10- 20 yds but not going to the bait.
Another odd thing I've noticed this year is no crows or ravens around....usually they are all over it during the day! As of now I have a 30lb piglet and 2 deer ribcage one of which is filled with deer meat scraps and frozen.....
I am thinking this weekend I will camo the sensors and the steel stakes with leaves and sticks and maybe add some hemlock bows around the bait but low to the ground as to not mess up my Line of sight.
Only other thing I may try to is scatter small pieces of meat around the bait.....any other ideas? I'll get some pics this weekend.
Another thing I noticed last Sunday one yote circled the field and bait and was peeing blood in 2 spots in the field....figured maybe a female coming In to heat a bit early??

Last edited:
deerslyr1, sounds like you have a good plan to improve the chances for them to actually start hitting the bait. I had one on camera last night but it didn't come to the bait either probably stayed 10-15 feet from it.

I've been "chumming" the dogs for the past few weeks without throwing any lead at them with hopes that they will come in more regularly. Well, the past three days they have visited every night.

well I have had a bait out for two weeks now and went out and checked it 5 days ago. well it had been hit but it had rained the day before so I could not tell what hit it and my game cam did not work so I switched the camera. I went and checked it today and had a few critters show up. will have to get out and see if they will show up for me this weekend.
here's some pics

ph, hope you get 'em this weekend.
thumbup.gif

NYyotekiller and predhunter, those are some good looking coyotes, rather large too. Good luck to both of you. Things remain quiet here.

WOW, Where do I start, I will start by saying THANKS, You have all just cost me a ton of money, lol I joined up not long ago and hadnt been able to post from spending my time reading every single page, watching every video in this entire thread and giving me a ton of idea. I now have to build a night vision setup and re build my deer stands and insulating them all along with setting up numerous bait piles while i never thought about

All that being said, Ive been calling Coyotes and Bobcats for several years, Here in Texas we have plenty of varmints to kill and any given night. I have about 10 places i hunt and always working on getting permission from more all the time

I own a few varmint guns
H & R single shot 223 and a 22-250 both with Nikon prostaff 4x12x40
DPMS AR 15 223/5.56 Vortex Nikon Prostaff 4x12x40
Fitna get a Vortex Viper 6x24x56 I've been researching

I have awesome green led i attach to any of them at night that works awesome, for the price and service you cant beat them http://www.wildcat-hunting.com/products/cat-250-kit

I have never baited nor used night vision but you all have me trying new things, hopefully i will be able to give some input over the next few months

Thanks for all the awesome information you all have shared over the past 3 years i think i read through

Hey Chris.

First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, thanks for your kind words. This is a great forum for sure, lots of information and good people here, no arguing or fussing, just good people looking to learn and share ideas. Be sure to jump right in and share your stories. We all like photos and videos too. That makes it more interesting.

David

Originally Posted By: jkrugerOk, I did something wrong!!! IMG]http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/jameskruger/GrayFox1_zpsea2c1eb2.jpg[/IMG Sorry guys, I've tried to get these to come up on the screen as an actual photo and haven't been able to. I also read the directions in another place here , but it didn't seem to work for me. I'm not tech savvy either (goes without saying)!!!

GrayFox1_zpsea2c1eb2.jpg

All I did was add [ ] on either side of your image code, I don't think you copied it right.

Hey thanks Paul..... will remember that with next pics!
This grey fox showed up at 10:30 the other night and met his demise. Will get a pic of him here soon.
Also, have acquired a deer carcass to add to the bait hopeing to keep the coyotes in. they didn't seem interested in the dog food and meat scraps I had out the past few weeks.

Last edited:
6mm06 the camera is a browning Recon Force it has been good so far only have had it for 3 month. here are a couple videos of deer I got over the season never got one though.

Appreciate the welcome, I took my 73 year old dad and my brother crappie fishing yesterday, we caught 73, after fileting them i dumped em in a 5 gal bucket with some table scraps we've had this week. Dumped them about 100 yards from one of my deer stands where i could set up a trail cam. I also told the guy running the cows that i wanted any dead carcasses he had from now on, hehe Its after deer season when i started reading all of this. I will have to collect here and there til next deer season

Look forward to this style of hunting, hoping to have some good photos soon

IMG_1150_zps757d261e.jpg

And this was the end result. Thanks to all you guys on this thread for the great baiting ideas. Especially 6mm-06 for all your help.
Oh yeah, and big thanks to pmack also for the awesome scope mounted light.

Last edited:
So...I spent Friday night at my camp and nothing trip the alarms. Sat am before I left I cubed up about 1 lb of old venison balogna and through it out around the bait site. Sunday went back up and had pics Of a yote going back and forth for some reason they still don't want to commit to the bait . Here's a pic of how it was

And a pic of the after I spent some time camoing the sensors. I also added another fresh deer carcass where the yotes have been walking but still hopefully close enough to trip the alarms.

And last a view from the camp...

after I was done I sprayed everything I touched down with scent killer and doe pee. Gonna let it simmer til this weekend and see what happens.....

Back