Does anyone use steel shot for coyotes?

Rambo

I am thinking about going to my shotgun for some close range coyote hunting and I have some 2 3/4 and 3 inch steel shot laying around. I think it is #4 or 5 shot. I honestly cant remember without looking. Anyway, should I use it or stick with lead shot?

I don't think it will have the knockdown energy to kill like lead will. That being said I have never personally used it on coyotes, but do know my gun with the Kicks choke I have will throw a awesome pattern out to 50 yrds with 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 steel shot..bb's and larger suck with it..too tight.

Originally Posted By: Rich CronkI personally would never shoot steel shot through a tight choke at coyotes.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: Rich CronkI personally would never shoot steel shot through a tight choke at coyotes.

smile.gif

Right on. Never liked using steel on anything I hunted. Much better alternatives.

There are some places I hunt which require non toxic shot. For birds, I run steel. For coyotes I would actually choke and cough up the money for Dead Coyote from hevi shot. Then gag because I spent like $6 a round. If lead is allowed, go that route.

Steel will work but you'll have to go to TTT shot.AFAIK Factory ammo in that size is only available for the 10g unless you load it yourself.

Man I am glad this was brought up and discussed. I bought a shotgun awhile back and had trouble finding #4 lead to shoot so I bought #4 Federal steel shot. Glad to have read this will be looking for some lead now! I never questioned using steel vs lead for yotes.

I have killed a coyote with steel BBs. It was on the way home from a goose hunt, and the coyote was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The steel BBs DID NOT do a good job!!! The first shot was a solid head/neck shot at about 25 yards. You'd think that would have done it, but it didn't. Another point blank shot was required to finish things up.

Do not use steel for coyotes, or anything for that matter, if it can be at all avoided. There are plenty of steel alternatives now that are much better.

Originally Posted By: goat834Man I am glad this was brought up and discussed. I bought a shotgun awhile back and had trouble finding #4 lead to shoot so I bought #4 Federal steel shot. Glad to have read this will be looking for some lead now! I never questioned using steel vs lead for yotes.

#4 lead shot is not a coyote load. Number 4 lead buck shot is a good coyote load.

Yesterday I took an old Natchez catalog and shot it at 40 large steps away with a 1500 fps Hevi-Metal BBB steel load and a 1-1/2 oz 3" reload with Rem HD BB shot in it. The BPI data shows the HD BB reload to be 1375 fps.

The Steel BBB shot I found in the catalog penetrated into pages, 27, 30,39, 185 and 220.

The Remington HD BB shot that is heavier than lead penetrated into pages, 380, 402,459, 500, 531 and four pellets went completely through the 755 page catalog. I don't think the four pellets that went completely through the catalog were BBB steel pellets.

[/quote]

#4 lead shot is not a coyote load. Number 4 lead buck shot is a good coyote load.
[/quote]
Whats the difference? Is it shot vs. buck?

Originally Posted By: coues7[/quote]

Whats the difference? Is it shot vs. buck?[/quote]

Yes there is a difference. #4 shot is something like 130 or so pellets and #4 buckshot is 38-41 pellets. Obviously buckshot pellets are quite a bit larger. I found out after buying 2 boxes of the wrong stuff lol.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingySteel shot is an invention of Satan designed to frustrate those of us who enjoy using a shotgun.

Chupa

It is the work of the Devil!! Hate the stuff!

Back