Timney straight blade trigger
Nightforce base and low rings
Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NPR1

1004 yards 4.375"

6 Super LR

Stiller Tac-30AW
26" Brux 1-8" twist #5
JP AMCS Chassis
fed by 10rd Double stack-single feed Alpha type 1 mags.

Barrel is starting to come around at about 25rds fired, the fouling has all but stopped. Shot my first 300yd group with it today with some leftover ammo from another rifle I had in this chambering and managed a little under a 2" group (didn't measure but the brass next to it is 2.026") I think it would've been better but the wind was varying from 0 to 18mph very quickly.

hopefully with some load development it'll improve as my single shot 6SLR was pretty consistent in the .8-1.2" range @ 300.

6x47Lapua

Remington 700 Action
Benchmark 8 twist Remington Varmint contour barrel, 7 Flutes and threaded for suppressor.
Manners T2A Stock in Coyote Tan
Jewell trigger
Graphite Black Cerakote
Vortex PST 4-16 FFP MOA scope.

Gunsmithing by myself then I sent it off to Long Rifles Inc. for fluting, tacticool bolt knob and Cerakote.

Custom 6 SLR

Remington 700 action Blueprinted. (Older style action,not the newer one).

Brux 1.25 no taper 30" w/ interupted flutes 1-8 twist.

Remington 40x trigger tuned to 1oz. Also have a Shilen BR trigger that adjusts from 2oz-6oz.

Tracker stock

EGW 20MOA base

Nightforce rings

Sightron SIII 8-32x56 with the MOA reticle

[img:center][/img]

[img:center][/img]

Primarily going to be used for long range ghog sniping and prairie doggin in Wyoming. Might do a little BR shooting since I'm only about 20 min. Peacemaker National Training Center where they have a 1000 yd. range.

Last edited:
.243ai
Tued action
Bedded action
Mcm GS
ADL
Mike Rock, SS, RVC, 1/8", 24"
Jewell trigger
Seekin's low rings
Seekin's 20moa base
 NF 5.5-22
IMG_20131103_205616.jpg
IMG_20131103_210119.jpg
IMG_20131103_210152.jpg

This is beginner question but why don't you see any winchester actions being used when making a custom rifle? It seems that the majority are Remington actions with a few others in the mix.

Originally Posted By: MJS1977This is beginner question but why don't you see any winchester actions being used when making a custom rifle? It seems that the majority are Remington actions with a few others in the mix.

The foundation for an accurate rifle is the receiver. In the receiver, you must have the bolt centered within the bore formed by the front and rear receiver rings. A Winnie is more challenging to do versus the Remmie. Truthfully, it is less expensive to go with a custom action in the long run than a Rem. Once you have the smith rework the Rem, along with bushing the bolt, it will cost roughly equal to a good custom action. I say roughly as there are custom actions that are spendy.

I have several built on Winchester model 70 actions, they all shoot very well. I will list them but dont know how to post pics on here.
243 Ackley imp. M70 Classic Stainless, #5 fluted PacNor Supermatch Fluted 1-10 twist, HS stock
243 Ackley imp M70 Classic SS, featherweight contour Lilja 1-8 twist, factory laminate stock
25-06 M70 Classic Sporter Blued, factory contour Lilja, built by Dennis Olson.
6.5x55 Improved Pre War M70 Action, Douglas Barrel in French Walnut stock
I really like all these rifles and they shoot awesome too, presently I am working on a 300 and a 7mm WSM, I am a big fan of all 3 WSM calibers. These actions do require more work and skill to true up and fit the barrel to but everyone has a remmy(I have to admit I have several of them also).

22BR Built buy cody's custom guns here in UT
SS Rem 700 Blueprinted
SS Brux 8 Twist #5 contour, fluted
ADL Mcmillan Hunter in Olive, Black and Grey,
Jewell trigger
Bolt jeweled and Fluted with Hunter bolt knob
Seekins 20 MOA Rail with Seekins Low rings
Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm

Got to playing last night and coated the flutes on the bolt!

Last edited:
This is a one off left hand Rogue action built by Rbros rifles.
chambered in 6.5X47 Lapua.
21" 8.5 twist rock barrel in Rem varmint contour.
Manners T-5 stock.
Jewell trigger set at 8 ounces.
Seekins bottom metal.
Seekins base and lug.
Nightforce 5.5x22-50 NXS MLR-MIL.
Nightforce rings.
130 Berger hunting VLD, 42.2 H-4350 @ 2925.
Gemtech HVT suppressor.
photobucket-7091-1356210969617.jpg

This is a pattern in the flooring of a customers house, a Navajo good luck sign.
photobucket-17413-1347260134034.jpg

photobucket-48009-1350300251228.jpg

photobucket-7814-1356387431455.jpg

photobucket-36909-1346790590680.jpg

Keith at Phoenix Custom Rifles did the barreled action for me.

Stiller Tac30 AW
Kreiger 8.5 twist 24"
Huber 2 stage 2lb trigger
Manners MCST mini chassis
Seekins low rings
Mil/Mil nightforce 3.5-15x50

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

Stiller tac30
Manners T3 Mini chassis molded in GAP
Kreiger 1:8 Rem varmint 22"
Huber concepts trigger
Seekins rings
SWFA SS 5-20
Work done by Jon Beanland
DSCN0141.jpg

DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

Blue Printed 700 Remy
Badger Brake
Badger Bolt knob
Kreiger Barrel
Timmeny Trigger
EGW 20 MOA mount
NF rings
Vortex FFP 4x16x50
XRL Carbon Chassie
4130059866_E45634BBD60AEC47749DF095A6F918F8.jpg

My 7mm Mag Match designated the "7m4 HAMR" (Hunting and Match Rifle) Video coming soon.

The reason a Rem 700 is typically chose for custom builds, is because they are easier to work with. That doesn't make them better.

Win M70 CRPF magnum action completely trued/blueprinted
Rock Creek 9 twist barrel at 25" with five 3/8" flutes
Timney Nickel trigger set to 1.7 lbs
CDI Bottom Metal and AI mags
Manners T5A w/ Tubbs 6 position butt plate hydrodipped Kryptek Highlander
glass and pillar bedded
Knurled tactical bolt knob with 7mm case head inlay
Fluted bolt
Badger 20 MOA picitinny rail
AADMOUNT 20 MOA optic mount
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56
Badger fore rail and Badger TRAMP bipod mount
Harris 6-9 swivel bipod with leg notches.
Done in two done Cerakote, Federal Standard Field Drab and Smiths Brown.

Shooting 168 Berger VLDs at .2 MOA going roughly 3030fps
Shooting 180 Berger VLDs at .25 MOA going roughly 3105fps
Velocity verified at 1185 yds last fall and will be taking it beyond this spring.

7mm_zps5dbb003b.jpg

TgtGfx_zps2382d059.jpg

Cbass, nice looking stick. Am I reading your velocities correctly? Are you really pushing the 180's to 3100? Also, I was curious as to why you went with a long action case rather than a short action such as the 7wsm, I believe case capacities are roughly the same. I guess I'm just a sucker for the short actions

Originally Posted By: REDOTCbass, nice looking stick. Am I reading your velocities correctly? Are you really pushing the 180's to 3100? Also, I was curious as to why you went with a long action case rather than a short action such as the 7wsm, I believe case capacities are roughly the same. I guess I'm just a sucker for the short actions

Basically, this action popped up for sale in a forum as a CRPF with a magnum bolt face at a great price. While it's not a true Pre 64 CRF...it's a comparable alternative and I prefer the Win M70 action over the 700 without question. Their only drawback is lack of industry support for aftermarket parts, but I'll take the 70 over the 700 any day.

I went with the LA over the SA, because you don't see anyone else running 180s at 3100 out of a short action caliber. ESPECIALLY with a 25" barrel and when the Berger 195 XLDs come out, I hope to be pushing them at or over 3000. Yes, the long action has less barrel life compared to the WSM or the SAUM, but that should even out by pushing the 195's at a slightly slower speed.

The older Win M70's are long action by design. Even the older short action caliber rifles (my 243 Win), are a "long action". That's going to be another long action build, but haven't decided what yet.
I like a short action as much as the next guy, but you just don't get the performance out of certain calibers when compared to their LA counterparts. I'm planning to build a 7SAUM on a short action to use with 162 Amax...but that's a different tool for a different task.

Also, a lot of guys running a 7mm WSM with 180 VLDs end up either doing mag mods, action mods or running it in a long action anyway, so they can take advantage of their case capacity and seat the bullets as long as possible.
I've got plenty of room to seat the bullet where I want, and continue to chase the lands if I need to later.

Case capacity for the WSM is listed at 81gr I believe, and I did a quick H20 check of my Rem brass. It's at 85.3 and my Nosler Custom is 87gr. That's a pretty significant difference.

200 fps increase with 180 VLDs over the WSM with 12gr of powder increase isn't bad for this rifles intended purpose.

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance, I'll build the 7SAUM when I need a more efficient cartridge.

Mind I ask who does your builds for you? I'm on the fence about having GAP build me a rifle based of their templar action, basically a better built 700 clone. I don't know of many smiths local to me (west central MN). I know rifles from GA Precision will shoot but [beeep] $4,000 seems a little steep. I've gone back and forth between a custom or a TRG 22 for about $1000 less, but by the time you buy their bipod, extra mag, muzzle brake, your basically at the same price again.

Back