Trip West

catwhacker

Took off on the 1st. of Jan. to do a hunt with my brother Dave and my son Scott in the flint hills of Kansas. The first part of the drive didn't start off so good as we never got over 50 mph for the first 500 miles. We got there on the 2nd and got our room, licenses, and food and got ready for the next days hunt. We get out on the 3rd. and the wind is blowing like crazy and if we had been home we would of never gone out but it's too long of a ride to set in a room and waste a day of hunting. We only called in one coyote all day and we went until dark. Dave missed it at 40 yards! Says he doesn't get coyote fever but I'm not sure about that. 2nd day was great weather light wind and sunshine. First set we watched one come in from over a mile only to hold up at 375 yards. Scott got it to come to about 350 and it decided it didn't like something and headed out. I missed the shot at 350 not a very good start for the day. 2nd set we called in 2 Scott killed the first one at 7 yards and I got on the call and another one came in and I shot it.

We did one or two more sets with nothing coming it. We then took a long walk out about 3/4 of a mile and called in 4. Scott killed 2 down in the bottom of the valley and David missed one (He doesn't get coyote fever he says) I sat there with a shotgun and watched all the fun and never fired a shot.

Scott with his double.

3rd day we froze our azz off with 30mph winds and 14 degrees and a couple of inches of new snow. Didn't call up a thing but the view was great.

Last day it was -14 with the wind blowing and the weather report bad for the trip back home so we headed out to Mich. We only used hand calls on this hunt and killed half of the coyotes we called in so it really was a good hunt even with the bad weather.
Thanks,
Jim

Yep, looks like good ol' Kansas!!! Hahaha
By now, after your other trips here, you should be used to the unpredictable winds.
But, it has been extra-cold the past few weeks.
At least you guys were far enough south, that the snow wasn't too bad for you. Salina got 12" prior to Christmas, & another 3" or so since.

Congrats to you all for having the "chutzpah" for getting out there & enjoying yourselves!!
whistle.gif
whistle.gif

Thanks guys! The photo of Scott with only a t shirt on was after he walked down into the valley to get his coyotes. It wasn't that warm.

Sounds a lot like my trip to Nebraska last January....gotta love the chances ya take traveling with weather this time of the year. Congrats on a great hunt and a safe trip!

A good dad would of walked down in the valley and dragged his sons coyotes back up for him.

To bad the weather conditions weren't a little better for you guys while you were there. Looks like great country and sounds like you had a good time with family. Thanks for sharing.

We hunted all private land this year. We have hunted walk in land in the past but the way the weather was this year we ran out of time to do that.

Nice story dad! I wish you could have had more shooting.

Thanks again for another great year!!!

A lot of great memories and hopefully Dave takes his fever meds next time.

Hmmm "the little spots are horses" Decent sized herd. I might know where you're at lol.
Being from MI I'm sure our weather didn't bother you guys much.. The temps are bearable, wind is what makes it miserable. Glad y'all had a good time.

Back