Midway dogtown bullet loads .204

Kjsguns

Hi I am a new member here and thought this would be a great place to pose a question about midways dogtown bullets. I have a box of the .204 cal 34 gr FBHP and was wondering if anyone here has tried these in their 204 Rugers and what kind of results you are getting on coyotes. I've had too many get away on me with the 32 gr v max and I have some 40 gr Nosler BT but just wondering how the dogtowns are working

Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of interesting stuff here that's for sure. Some is more entertaining than interesting but it is almost always fun.

I really like that bullet in my .204 Ruger. I have shot some phenomenal groups with that bullet and Benchmark powder. And while I have shot no coyotes with that bullet I have taken quite a few prairie dogs with them and they erupt pretty violently. I think this is due to the fairly large hollow point that these bullets have. And the big hollow point means that the BC on these bullets is not all that high unfortunately, but for yote shots of 250 yards or less I think that they would work quite well. For sure, I would be confident in using them given the chance.

Those are Nosler bullets, same as Midsouth's Varmint Nightmare's.
I've had good luck with them on coyotes, and same as you, had a lot of splashes with the V-Max bullets.
Not all are pass through, but so far no failures.

Thank you guys for your quick responses. Rustydust I was glad to see you mention benchmark for a powder option because I happen to have a pound of that on hand also have some x terminator. Any pet loads to get started with? I know I should stick with my 22-250 for long range knock down shots but some how I keep finding myself out there with my 204 haha

My pet load for that bullet was 27.2 grains of Benchmark and the Remington 6 1/2 primer. I do not recall the overall length but it was out slightly longer than the standard .204 ammo is I remember that.

A few years ago I was out near Riverton Wyoming and I was shooting at a town of prairie dogs that was around 330-350 yards out. Man! That .204 was the ticket with that bullet! It was bang-pop! Bang-pop! Every shot found its mark and every hit was DRT. Memorable day that was.

Sounds great. Please keep us posted as to how that load works for you.

BTW- I have tried Dogtown bullets in .17 and .224 calibers as well but for me anyway only the 34 grain .204 bullets have shot the way that I want them to.

I loaded some in my Howa and couldn't get them to group that great. I tried Varget, Benchmark and W748. A couple of the loads were decent but I couldn't get them to repeat. The smallest group I got was .610 with the 34 grainers. I have some test loads loaded with 32gr., just haven't had the weather to get out and try them. Gonna try those in this gun and see how they do.

I will let you know what results I get. I have a ruger mkII varmint with the heavy stainless matte barrel and laminated stock and although ruger hasn't been my favorite choice in rifles this one has been shooting really well with my loads so far hoping for those dogtowns to perform well

Back