Browning B-78 in 22-250 for Yotes

alder

Thinking about purchasing a Browning B-78 in 22-250 cal for yotes
Hunting in the great white north will involve very low temp.- below freezing - and working in snow
The B-78 in 22-250 will be high wall and I have heard that when using gloves- a must at these temp. - it is difficult to lower the hammer to the "safe" position , due to it being recessed in the high wall version.
Anyone using the B-78 in these conditions offer their opinion
Just like the looks of the B-78 - not too worried about it being single shot
Thanks

My dad has shot one for over 30 years now. It is his favorite yote gun and he shoots good with it. We use to live in Iowa until we moved to Wyoming and there my dad was big into fox hunting. I know for a fact that he has blown holes into bran new truck floors because of the hammer being difficult to lower due to it be recessed so you got to be really careful about that but otherwise they are great guns. I don't know if the new ones are as accurate as the old ones but I know the old ones shoot really good. Rocknhat Kid

I'm not related to Rocknhat Kid, but I've been the very proud owner of one for 30+ years. Yes, it's a bit hard to get a finger in, and probably almost impossible with gloves. I've never tried a hammer spur but that might work. Accuracy is fine, but the trigger takes some getting used to. With practice It is possible to take quick second shots, but bolt guns are probably faster. On the other hand, I've done well at club matches even under rapid fire. Don't forget the bullet stop behind the hammer can be turned so that an ejected shell goes left or right, or is stopped/trapped in place. You'll want it to eject out the side for faster reloading.

Thanks for your replies
Will not be keeping it loaded in the car - so shooting a hole through the floor should not be a problem - LOL
Bigdog2- you mentioned getting used to the trigger- is there a issue in this regard
I presently have a Stevens and just replaced the trigger assembly with a Basix SAV2 and it is really sweet
My other rifle is a Thompson Center Icon Precision hunter- presently in for recall to have the trigger assembly replaced
Thanks

I've owned one for 35+ years. Yes, the hammer is stiff and recessed and the trigger has creep (a safety design), but I would not sell or trade it for the world. It's a beautiful rifle and one of my two all time favorites (my sako vixen is the other).

I grew up in MN and currently live in WI, so I have seen plenty of cold weather. If your glove is thin enough for the trigger guard you can operate the hammer... it just ought to be leather (or leather faced) for a sure hold.

I have one in 6mm Remington. Also have it since they first came out (35+ years).

Letting the hemmer down is as easy as dropping the lever and bringing it back up - it comes up on 1/2 cock safe.

I had one in 6mm Remington. Beautiful gun, kinda heavy as I remember it. Issue I had with it was the danged trigger locked up on it for no good reason. I live close enough that I ran it to the Arnold, Missouri Browning repair facility. Evidently that wasn't uncommon with this rifle and Browning repaired it at no charge. I was planning a trip to Wyoming for antelope and mule deer and got it in my head I needed a .270 Winchester Model 70. When I picked the rifle up I stopped by a local gun shop and swapped it off on a .270. They didn't have a M70 so a Remington M700 got picked. It did just fine and a few years later I picked up a genuine M70 Featherweight .270 to go along with it. My single shots since have been Ruger No. 1 rifles.

Tom said it---it tends toward creepy, but still with practice I got 5 shots within 1 MOA with it. Can-jar had a replacement trigger
But they stopped making it. I've heard some people try cutting springs but I wouldn't .

I've always liked the fact that since the action is so short, the whole gun feels short ; but the barrel is still long so velocities stay up. Also that octagon barrel and lovely wood are just fantastic.

Back