Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X20MM w/ Pig Plex

TXCOONDOG

I received my VX-R 1.25-4x20mm with the Pig Plex, and one thing for sure is the reticle is bold, stands out and should be great for hunting in the brush, pipelines, fields, etc and low light (even without the illuminated dot).

I also compared the brightness of the scope to my Bushnell 4200 and the 4200 looked a bit brighter at first light (dawn). However, the image and reticle on the VX-R was clearer with no illumination (great combo between glass and reticle IMO). I did try the illumination in low light and in the dark and it worked like a charm. I even turned it up all the way and the illumination did not obstruct the view.

Because the reticle is etched and bold at all times, I didn’t see a point in trying out the illumination in bright or direct sunlight.

I also ordered a Leupold Mark 2 30mm mount and the combined weight of both the scope and mount is 18.2 oz. which is about 7 ounces lighter than the Bushnell 4200, PEPR and/or AMD mounts.

I went to the range yesterday morning and mounted the scope on my DPMS AR 22 and played around with it before mounting on my 6.8.

Down below are some pictures of the scope mounted on my 6.8 and the target (bad cell pic). What was amazing to me was the first (3 shot) group with 6.8 was with no adjustment made (the zero was from the DPMS 22). Needless to say, one ¼” click adjustment to the right and she was zero’d at 50 yds.

Just sharing my thoughts and this was not intended to be a detailed review. I’m happy with my purchase and should work out fine for my intended purpose of hunting pigs (scouting) in thick brush ,low light conditions (dusk/dawn) and at a distance of 25’ -300yds. Only time, field and additional range use will weigh in on how it will work out for me.

I have the same thing in the Zombie model,I'm pretty happy with it.Putting it on my lightweight build I just finished.I'm hoping the green dot shows up at night with red lights I hunt with. I'm not crazy with zombie crap but liked the scope coming with CDS and Leupold flip up caps.

It is a great hunting scope!

I put a Burris Fast Fire on top of the rings for extra fast thick woods instant action:

Pig%20Plex%20Left2.jpg

Pig%20Plex%20Right.jpg

Coyote%207.jpg

I know you say you dont want to do an indepth review but I am trying to decide between one of these scopes or a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 with the fire dot. I am really curious on just how well they do in low light.

If one is hunting at dusk/dawn could you easily see your target? What about night time spotlighting?

See the RED LED light on my carbine, it works great out to 200 yards in pitch dark.

Red%20Boar.jpg

Fenix%2034%20Hog%20Tractor.jpg

Big%20Sow%202.jpg

Shoat.jpg

Snacker1.jpg

Snacker3.jpg

They don't call it a Pig Plex for nothing....

With an artificial light (flash or spotlight) source, either will work and the VXR glass is better.

The advantage to me is that the VXR reticle is etched, bold, stays black at all times, and has an illuminated dot.

On a full moon I can see the target (depending on target size (hog) and conditions) 50-150 yds and the illuminated dot is an advantage over the non-illuminated reticle.

Note: I cannot see the reticle in the Mark AR under a full moon (no other light source).

Note: The VXR (pig plex) reticle is thick and ideal for hunting but not for bench rest target shooting (covers a lot of the target).

I'm talking about the VXR with the pig plex and Mark AR 3-9x40 with duplex so results will vary depending on model and reticle.

Maybe, other members will chime in on their insight or different models of VXR and Mark AR.

PS: Skypup, look like we were typing at the same time and nice pics too
thumbup.gif

I have not used the VXR in the field long enough to voice my over-all likes vs dislikes

Last edited:
Hey guys im just wondering here, if you have a red light for night hunting, is it even possible to see a red illuminated reticle? Or do you need green illumination too?

I also have the zombie version with the SPR reticle with a green illuminated dot in the center. It is on my 50 Beowulf and I love it. Nice scope

Back