Remington 600 Mohawk

POPNDOGS

I have a 600 mohawk in .223 cal.The stock has been refinished, the action has been glass bedded, plus a trigger job It also has a remington? bull bbl. ALL in xlnt cond. It shoots great, I just dont use it anymore. Can Anyone tell me what its worth ??

Sounds like it has been re barreled. 600 were not a heavy barrel. Price will run with used 700s.

If it were a factory barreled 600 in 223 it could be worth thousands. Not many made. Fairly rare bird.

Just for clarity the original Remington Arms Model 600 is a bolt-action rifle produced by Remington Arms from 1964–1968. Its most characteristic feature is the vent rib on the barrel.

The original Model 600 Model was replaced by the Model 660 (manufactured 1968–1971) and later by the Model Mohawk 600 (manufactured 1972–1979) and neither of them had a vent ribbed barrel.

The rarest chambering in the original vent ribbed Model 600 was the 223 Remington with supposedly only 227 produced in standard production rifles and most of them were produced in the final year of production.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Winny FanJust for clarity the original Remington Arms Model 600 is a bolt-action rifle produced by Remington Arms from 1964–1968. Its most characteristic feature is the vent rib on the barrel.

The original Model 600 Model was replaced by the Model 660 (manufactured 1968–1971) and later by the Model Mohawk 600 (manufactured 1972–1979) which did not have a vent ribbed barrel.

The rarest chambering in the original vent ribbed Model 600 was the 223 Remington with supposedly only 227 produced in standard production rifles and most of them were produced in the final year of production.

X2 I am lucky to own a 660 (1971) in 243win. They are very nice rifles.

Here is mine. I bought it a couple years ago from a dear old gentleman who bought it new in the 60's and still had that receipt. He paid $69.95 for it new. I bought it used from him for an even $600. Excellent condition. Remington Model 600 222 caliber with Leupold VX-III, 1.5x5 Illuminated German #4 Dot. There is a ventilated rib there, you just can't see it very well.

Last edited:
Here's my Rem600, it started out as an original 223 purchased in 1966 at the Embassy Gun Shop in Taiwan. I told them I wanted the first 223 they could get their hands on as I had an unlimited supply of 223 ammo from my friends in the AF. This 600 came in and there was no internet at the time and I had no idea it was a rare piece. The rifle was so ugly I took it directly to the armorer and had the rib removed and the stocks square forend reshaped. I shot it for forty years, informal benchrest matches at the club(it was very accurate with Herter's bullets and powder), control work in WI and MN and general hunting. I finally shot out the barrel and had PacNor put a 6x45mm barrel on it and restocked it. Still have the barrel for when people call me a liar.

Last edited:
Not sure what the OP is calling a heavy bbl., but mine, and others I've looked over have a fairly heavy contour for a factory sporter to start with. Not what I'd necessarily call a "heavy' bbl., but more like a "carbine/varmint taper"? Does that make any sense?? LOL!! Never understood why they would make a little gun, and make it soooo heavy for it'ss ize???

To the OP, does it have Remington's factory stampings on it???

Originally Posted By: GerbsMy father's original Remington Mohawk 600 .308 does have a vented rib.

Here is a photo of the three iterations of the rifles. Remington 600 on top, gussied up stock and a 2" longer barreled Model 660 in the middle, and the Mohawk on the bottom.

The original Model 600's were chambered for .222 Remington, .223 Remington, 6mm Remington, .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, and .35 Remington. In addition, a "Magnum" version was offered in 6.5mm Remington Magnum and .350 Remington Magnum. These Magnum 600's came with a laminated walnut stock, recoil pad, and sling.

This is what the back of the Mohawk 600 action looked like with the word "Mohawk" plainly engraved there. The action did not say Remington on it as the Mohawk line was a promotional line that was introduced first by K-mart, IIRC. The original Model 600 actions were engraved with the word Remington in large script with "Model 600" below it in smaller print. The Model 660 was the same with the word "Model 660" in smaller print

This last photo shows the original box and a Mohawk rifles as they both came from the factory. Notice again the lack of "Remington" on display.

If your father's "600 Mohawk" is a true Mohawk action as I described with a vent rib barrel, either it has been modified by someone or you have a rare bird that might be worth beau coup dollars. To get the big dollars for it, you would have to be able to prove it came original from the factory that way. That might be quite a task. Odds say its been modified if it is indeed a Mohawk action and not a Remington 600 action.

I should have put this out there to begin with. It does have a different heavy bbl on it and no rib. I will try to post pics. If not I can e mail them. Thank you all for your help.

Good thread. I've never read much about these and I have two. One my Grandpa hunted with for years. It's a .308 that is named Mimi Mouse (Mickey Mouse is a .308 Norma mag he was given by a friend for building his house.) he took everything from deer, elk and desert bighorn here in AZ to Dahl sheep in Alaska with it. Since then everybody in my family that hunts has taken at least one game animal with it. It's really more of a family gun for whoever gets drawn. The other was a .308 that my brother had to have because that's what my grandpa had. But he was a kid and 600s in .308 kick like scalded mules so it was rebarelled in 22-250. I inherited that one a long time ago and still have it and the original .308 barrel. Killed my first deer with it. Sorry I didn't have good info on what yours may be worth. I just don't hear about these much.

OK! I have the rifle here It does say MOHAWK-600 on the left side of the action
I dont see" REMINGTON" any where. The bbl is 22"long & 3/4" across at the muzzel & it's crowned NO VENT RIB . I would think it's a bull bbl. I was told by the gunsmith who bedded it and worked on the trigger that it was a remington bbl.

Last edited:
POPNDOGS:

My comments above were directed at Gerbs.

Yes, yours definitely appears to have been re-barreled as that sounds like a bull barrel if its .750" at the muzzle. Maybe a Remington varmint weight barrel was used..?

Thanks Winny Fan! Very interesting history! I was wrong. After stating that my father's .308 with the vent rib was a Mohawk, I checked it out and it is the Remington Model 600 as shown above. His .243 without the vent rib is the Mohawk 600. I remember him saying that he received the Rem 600 .308 through a promotional deal with Purina when we owned the local feed mill. I could have sworn his said Mohawk but it was the .243 I hunted with for my first 5 years. Thanks again for the information.

So there is a Mohawk 600 in 243 for sale locally for 550, in the pic it looks 95% or better, cant see any marks in the pics, its close to mint. Is this a steal of a price or just average?

Lots of good info. and feedback ! THANK YOU. Does anyone have an idea of what mine would be worth? The one I have is with the bull bbl. I also have about 200 rounds of ammo and RCBS dies.????? Thank you I would post pics but I am having trouble on this site ! I can e-mail to anyone interested its in xlnt cond. Please PM me for pics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: W. Chad ShultzSo there is a Mohawk 600 in 243 for sale locally for 550, in the pic it looks 95% or better, cant see any marks in the pics, its close to mint. Is this a steal of a price or just average?

I would say that is on the high side. The Mohawk is the least valuable of them.

I bought a 660 in 243 about 10 years ago for $350.00 that was a good deal then. $450-500 would be about right today for a Mohawk +-.

Can not find aftermarket stocks for them except for McMillan at $650.00. Or a cheap Ram Line.

We have one,(it's actually my wife's) that belonged to her father. A 600 Mohawk .308 in like new condition, I'm not sure it has ever even been fired.

Back