Xbolt vs Bar

DReif

Great info on the xbolt in the thread below. How about the Bar, how does it compare to the xbolt. I'm undecided on which one to get.
Thanks,
Dale

I was at the bar last night, dang they make a good cheese burger !
drool.gif

O'wait, did you mean BAR ?
grin.gif

That's a tough question. I personally am a BAR man. I currently own 9 BAR's and they all shoot great. The Xbolt may be inherently more accurate overall due to the solid action but without knowing what you are looking for in a rifle its hard to tell which has the advantage..

Last edited:
Apples vs. Oranges.

I would buy the xbolt and then go to the bar for a cold one.

BARs are nice but I switched from a BAR after 20 years to a Rem 700 and haven't missed a beat. The bolt will be a much lighter rifle, probably more accurate with the right load, and more efficient. I noticed my first shot is much more disciplined with a bolt.

Are you hunting from a treestand or making drives?

This three shot group was shot at 100yds using factory ammo from a Browning BAR 243 Lightweight Stalker, 20" barrel. Shot by Predatormasters Member "GC". This caused me to buy my first Browning Rifle. The same model BAR 243 and mine shot the same way. Little did I know what an addiction to Brownings of all types this would cause. They shoot great, just find the model for your style of hunting. Longer ranges, possibly a bolt gun, 300yds and in a BAR is just as good with quicker follow up shots.

Pruson, I too have a BAR lightweight in 243 and wouldn't trade it for anything. It shoots well with most ammo but really likes the 100gr Winchester PP's and that's what I use since I mostly deer hunt with it. Do you reload for this gun? If so, are there any special precautions?

I hunt from stands and drives on deer. Most shots are from 250 yards and under. I also looked at the Hog Stalker, it felt and shouldered great. I also hunt hogs (stalking) at least twice a year. Had a nice AR, had an offer I couldn't turn down. So now I need another rifle. Having a hard time deciding on what to get.
I hunt ducks and geese with a Cynergery and upland with a Citori. Those 2 shotguns are great.

Dale

If you like the AR then you should be pleased with the Hog Stalker. Since your shots will probably be 250 or under and since you participate in deer drives I would opt for the BAR. Normal deer drives mean moving deer and a fast follow-up shot might mean the difference between meat in the freezer or not.

Originally Posted By: Big PardPruson, I too have a BAR lightweight in 243 and wouldn't trade it for anything. It shoots well with most ammo but really likes the 100gr Winchester PP's and that's what I use since I mostly deer hunt with it. Do you reload for this gun? If so, are there any special precautions?

I reloaded for it early on, maybe six years ago, no reason to. It shoots factory Remington Accutips 75 gr so well I wont try to beat them. Use it only for coyote hunting anyway. Here in the east, no long long shots.

I have a steel frame '06 and that little alloy .243. They both shoot lights out. I handload for both and have never needed to do anything special for them. I use standard dies and full length size and just rock on. Though I have killed quite a few bucks with the .30-06 probably my best deer memory with one of them was with the .243. I was still hunting along a ridge top and heard some crashing down in the holler below me. In a few seconds a big doe came loping through the timber at an angle toward me and upward to the crest of the ridge. The crosshairs found her heart at forty yards and I gave her a 100 gr. Hornady Interlock right there. She high kicked and lit out for the top and just then I saw a nice buck right on her tracks coming right along about 100 yards behind her. He ran up to about fifty yards and sensed something wasn't right and veered off along the side hill. He trotted away about 65 yards and stopped to survey the situation. I had stepped over to a white oak and taken a rest against the tree trunk and was ready. I angled another little pill at a raking angle at the back of the rib cage toward the off shoulder. He did the kick and run routine, thankfully down the ridge and actually toward the truck making my drag a little easier though the truck was about 3/4 mile away. A buck and doe in less than ten seconds both cleanly shot and early in the morning leaving me plenty of time to get them dressed and individually dragged back to the truck parked way off down the bottom of the holler. That .243 was along for a neat bobcat hunt with my dad and is one of my favorite predator hunting memories.

I have a steel frame BAR Safari MKII 30-06 with sights on the barrel. I have a Nikon 3-9x40 in Leupold Steel mounts. With Hornady 150 grain Interlock factory load it will average .8" 5 shot groups. With Hornady brass, RL-19, Hornady 180gr Boat Tail Interlocks, and WLR it will average .7" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

That rifle has been the death of many game animals over the years! I wouldn't take anything for it.

I would like to add a BAR Short Trac 243 to the stable.

Daman

I was thinking 243 Short Trac also. I do like the feel of the Hog, only comes in 308. Has anyone shot the Hog? Just wondering how it shoots being 9.5 pounds.

My buddy has a hog stalker BAR. He's let me shoot it a few times. You're right in commenting about the weight, but the gun is so much fun to shoot that the weight is forgivable. He's still working on finding the perfect load, but in the meantime the gun shoots seemingly decent, and still being early in the break-in process. It really doesn't like cheap ammo (surplus or steel.) But with hornady ammo it tightens up quickly.

Anecdotally estimate it to be slightly outside of 1 MOA at 100 yards. Nothing as beautiful as Pruson's 243...but for a semi auto I'd recommend the hog stalker. Possibly only sadness with the rifle is that you have to use proprietary magazines from Browning. It sure would've been cooler if you could just pop in a pmag LR/SR mag and roll.

As a hunting rifle I love the BAR ,I wish they would make a 22-250 and a 223.not going to be as accurate As a bolt but if your shooting 300 or less it don't matter plus they are a kick to shoot ,mine is a 300 win mag and is really fun but I do wish they made a magazine adapter so you could use 10,20 round clips.go with the BAR you won't regret owning one

FN makes basically the same rifle in .308 the FNAR

can get a 20" or 16"
takes 10 and 20 round magazines

pretty cool rifles, though I wish it came with a normal stock, not sure if id like the pistol grip

good luck

I have 2 BARs I like, 243 & 308, then a few ARs. They are not going anywhere. That out of the way, I more often take a simple bolt out for hunting. This is due to the fact it's usually a one or 2 shot ordeal, and in general, bolts can be easier to deal with in inclimate weather.

It's also easier to do a strip down for cleaning after being out in the wet. A bolt is more forgiving with reloaded ammo too, sizing issues. I like my bolt triggers better too.

I know I should just get my semi-autos out more.

I think I will be getting the Hog Stalker today or tomorrow if time allows. Get it scoped and get it to the range. I'll post back after I play with it.
Thanks,
Dale

Try Hornady Interlock factory loads. My 30-06 has shot every ammo I have put through it into 1.5" or less for a 5 shot group. I have shot Core-loks, Hornady SST, Hornady Interlock, Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, Winchester Silver Tips, Federal Blue Box, and Federal Premium. I have shot from 150 to 200 grain loads and it cycled them all and would easily kill deer out to 300 with any of them.

Good luck!

Back