Baiting

jlc thanks for the story

I personally enjoy the baiting part. and watching what comes it or what the camera catches. With the extreme cold I have been able to figure out when they maybe around. This morning at 10:44 I had a coyote out there with a mob of crows. I presently have 3 sights that I can see from the house. When I opened the window I had to give it a little tap to free up --frozen -- the creeking set off a chain reaction of crows flying off and the coyote was last to quickly leave and did not return. Right now in seems to be 6:30 -7:30 and 10 - 11 both A.M. I still need to get the driveway sensor thing going but being busy and having good activity in daylight -- with no pics at night ..I have put the sensors on hold...but still on the to do list.

We did some calling today ... nothing ....makes you appreciate baiting.

6mm06 -- anything picking up for you.

Dog Driller,

I hadn't checked the trail cameras since the 1st, which is very unusual. I usually check them daily, but it's been cold, and snowing here for the last several days, so I didn't bother. The farm is so wet that I can't drive to the cabin. I have to walk over 300 yards to the site from where I park my truck, and I just didn't bother.

A bobcat showed up on the early morning of the 2nd. He pulled at and ate some of the meat on a leg bone I had wired to a stake. He also circled the whole area, looking for small pieces of bait I assume. He found one or two here and there.

What was also interesting was that the cat stalked the crow decoy I had placed there. He lingered around the site for quite some time, and he continued to go back to that decoy to check it out. If it had moved a bit, no doubt he would have pounced on it.

Also, a possum has visited two nights and a skunk early this morning. Crows and hawks are daily visitors. But, no coyotes in over a month, and only two coyote visits since September 24th. That's not good.

Get that Driveway Sensor up and running and you will drop that coyote. He'll be back. Just keep him fed.

Something for the guys havering problems with shy coyotes would be to brush/litter the bait up as not just Putin the open ,randomly, it's artificial to them but covered is not , this gives the confidence that it was put there by another critter
This would also help with birds , some really nice set ups , I was thinking of one for my self ,4x6x5 , with the ability to take down and move with quad , 2x2 wall construction ,Cori- plastic walls /roof ,this is not my idea but from predator down pod cast,and I have liked the idea since I've heard it

Lot of great ideas and only on page77 so far ,good luck to all hunting

Welcome Chris.

A mobile hunting shed would be nice, something I have been considering too. If I ever do build one, it will be a bit longer as to accommodate a bunk. It would need to be insulated and heated for comfort. That way a guy can stay out all night without suffering. Man, I suffered that first winter, even with my cabin before I insulated it. After the insulation and heat, it's very comfortable. I have thought of perhaps building a shed onto a small trailer, or even trying to find a small camper trailer that already has everything I need, except a shooting window setup.

Here's an idea I found a couple of years ago. A guy had this one built so he could sell Ice cream, slushies and such at various events. But, this could be used as a neat mobile hunting shed.

A guy could use some stabilization jacks at the corners and turn this into a neat little hunting shed.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Aberry223,

I personally have not used any scents, only bait. However, I have been thinking about the same thing, wondering if there might be something I could use that would lure coyotes to the site. I too will be interested in hearing if anyone has found something that works.

Skunks are what makes the long distance call lures work, gland lures ,a matrix lure in rut, red fox glands are my favorites

Well I finally got my first baitsicle out after work tonight. It's set along a river bottom and I'll be perched in a blind 100 yds on top of the ridge later this week. Got a camera set up and will try to get some pics of the layout later this week.

Thanks for all the good advice and good luck hunting!

Good luck FishSqueezer. I hope your temps are better than ours. The thermometer on my back porch currently says -5 degrees.

Looking forward to hearing results, and photos of your setup. Good luck.

FS, at least you won't have to worry about the baitcicle thawing out and rotting.
lol.gif

Seriously, wish you much success and hope you have some really good arctic type clothing. Remember we like pictures.

I appreciate all the great info. This is a great site. Anybody notice that if you have no eagle or raven activity at your bait that the 4 legged predators do not show either. I was having
Animals dragging away my bait a few months ago so I drove a steal bar in the ground and wired the bait to it. I know the eagles know its there. I finally removed the wire 2 weeks ago. Still no activity. My sensors are 3 feet off the ground and angled down to prevent snow from drifting into them. This has happened. Its been 20 below zero here without the wind chill and nothing hitting the bait. I figured the cold would make the coyotes come in for sure. An eagle looked over the bait for 7 Hrs. Yesterday and did not go to it. I really think they fear the sensors. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
dreamer, I haven't experienced anything like that. Maybe someone who is about as far north as you are can let you know if they've had similar experiences. I haven't seen any correlation between the birds and the coyotes here concerning hitting the bait.

dreamer
-- we have had our first known bald eagle around the bait and would not touch it-- one sight has the camera and the other has nothing and neither sight has steel.
as far as baiting goes -- so far this year has been one of the best as far as activity goes. I attribute it to the cold temps and the way I have laid out bait. I have used far more bait than I have used in the past -- and it is big stuff and I have froze it together in bigger blocks/pieces. 24-30 crows show up in the morning and with all the cackling I think it has given the coyotes a sense of security. My problem is I can't be there as much as I like do to work. The camera and the sightings that I have seen during the day on weekends is a lot more than other years. We have full moon coming up in a week and I am hoping that the wind will die down and the temps moderate because I have personal mission to shoot a coyote over bait with a shotgun. I have had 2 chances up close at night the last couple of years once I had a rifle and missed the other time I had a shotgun and was busted. I have used baitsicles a lot over the last bunch of years and this year I have decided that more baitsicles at one site is much better than just one if you are able to do it. One more thing I have used dead calves in the past and this year I have not used them at all and rely solely on butcher trimmings and skeleton pieces. I do not think they like the hide of the calves.
6mm06 --
those trailers pics are killing me... I want one!! I hope you get some activity soon and things turn around. I remember what that was like last year.

I haven't seen this relationship between the birds and the predators either.

The only tip I could give you is to try to freshen up your bait site.

If I start to see a lull in my sightings at the bait site I'll either remove the bait that I have at the site and bring in new bait, or I'll just bring in some more bait and add it to the existing bait.

Dog Driller, Yea, me too. I would love to have a little trailer like that.

I have noticed that coyotes are different personalities. Some seem to be more cautious than others. Some are scared at pulling a large bait whether staked or not. Others don't seem to mind as much. They much prefer to grab a big piece and run off with it. Many times they will warm up to the staked-down bait after being initially scared. Gray fox are generally scared too of a larger bait whether staked down or not.

Here's some video clips to illustrate. This coyote is nervous at the bait, which is normal for most, but also he doesn't like the Ravens.

Click each of the photos to see the video.

Here he manages to get the carcass free from the stake, and carries it off.

Here is a clip of a gray fox pulling at the bait, as well as some other visitors.
Bobcats don't seem to mind a carcass staked down.

Normally I have up to 13 eagles eating and now none.I have freshened up the site numerous times. Recently added dog food to site, hoping the coyote will show. I've got ravens and eagles eating a road kill 1.5 miles away but won't touch my site. I really believe the eagles and ravens make the coyotes feel more secure about the site.I hate to remove the sensors because they are such a great plus (thanks to this forum).I've been back in the weeds for a few yrs absorbing all the info on this forum.dreamer

Last edited:
Dreamer, I don't see how the sensors can be the problem. If you have them camoed, they shouldn't even notice them. I have mine inside sterilite containers which have been camo painted. We don't have ravens here, but plenty of crows and they pay no attention to them. I know 6mm06 also has some problems with hawks stealing his bait at times as well as crows.

Doubleup: My sensors are a grayish green against the snow background.In fact I just wrapped the 2x2 poles that the sensors are attached to with white tree trunk plastic. This is my first yr. using them. there was not a problem in November, I shot one coyote and missed one ( no clue how, but I did). I had coyotes and red tailed hawks on the site a few times. My bait is 190 yds.away in a field. Thanks, Dreamer

Last edited:
Well,

I checked on the bait today and took a few pics of the set up. The red circle indicates where we plan to set our blind, it should be a 75 yd shot.

DSC_0262-1.jpg

Freshened it up with what I call corned beef crunch (corned beef & dog food)

Cornedbeefcrunch.jpg

The trail camera captured our first visitor yesterday - a red-tailed hawk. Hooked up a nice piece of private ground today - I hope to get a bait out there tomorrow night as well.

MFDC0029.jpg

Dreamer, I haven't noticed any problems with birds or animals and the Driveway Patrol. I spray-painted my sensors and have four at the bait site.

FishSqueezer, that's a good-looking location. I wish you well, and hope the hawks and crows leave the bait alone. I have had a fit with them this year, as well as little to no coyote activity.

Back