..............WIND DRIFT ---- VS ---- CALIBERS..............

dan brothers

This wind drift problem with different calibers and bullet weight, and speeds, has been bothering me ever since I went on my Montana Field Trip. It seems like my mind has been chasing this subject more than coyotes. I've always thought about bullet drop, but gave the wind drift little attention. I've learned a lot in the last couple of months, but after Lucas turned me onto AmmoGuide.com... it seemed like a whole new world of understanding opened up for me by looking at different caliber.. bullet weight.. fps... and BC's... in it's Ballistic Calculator option.

Most of you SEASONED SHOOTERS already know this stuff, and will be needed to clear up my misunderstanding... but for those Newbies like myself.... having been a bowhunter all my life.... may learn something along with me.

I just ran some different calibers, weights, fps, numbers at the same elevation of 1200 ft.... 40 degree temp... 10 mph, 3 o'clock crosswind... and this is the stuff I found.

If my numbers are off...let me know... it's just a rough sketch.

My whole reason for this, is because too, too, too, many coyotes are living today because of bullet wind drift being on their side.

AND... it's something to do while the crazy weather roars.

Cal.... Gr Bullet... BC... fps... Bullet Drift at 500 yds.

.17 ........30 gr ....... .175 .......3950 .....45.6 inch drift

.20 ......40 vmax ..... .275 ...... 3900 ...... 24.4 inches

.20 ......50 berger ....... .381-? ...... 3950 ...... 23.1

.20 ...... 55 berger ...... .381 ...... 3800 ...... 16.6 in

.20 ............ 55 ...... "" .... "" ...... 3700 ...... 17.5

.22 ...... 55 horn vmax ...... .255 ...... 3950 ...... 26.4

.22 ...... 80 berger ...... .445 ...... 3500 ...... 15.9

.22 ...... 90 berger ...... .551 ...... 3400 ...... 14.1

,243 ...... 58 hor vmx ...... .250 bc ...... 3850 ...... 28.5

.243 ...... 87 vmax ...... .400 bc ......3300-? ...... 20.1 in

.243...... 107 smk ...... .522-? ...... 3050 ...... 16.4

300wm 215 Berger Hybrid 2830 12.3"......
tt2.gif
Just messing with ya Dan.
grin.gif

Dan, 17 caliber 30gr. Bergers BC is 232 and Kindler 30gr. BC is 275. That will make a difference in the wind drift.

What does your program say the wind drift is at 300yds.?

Last edited:
Now compare the wind drift and drop together, thats how I came to the conclusion the 87 and 95 gr Bergers were the best compromise in my 243AI's and the 55gr Bergers in my 20cals. I think I am going to just go 20-250 non AI on my new build, a buddy has the reamer and my AI cases dont feed as well as I would like in my other guns. So it will be a 1-8 twist Lilja in 20-250, remington varmint contour and fluted with a McMillan stock and a rem 700 action.

Originally Posted By: K22Dan, 17 caliber 30gr. Bergers BC is 232 and Kindler 30gr. BC is 275. That will make a difference in the wind drift.

13 in @ 300..... and .... 45 in @....500

300 yds is more normal, because you guys are probably not shooting them past 300. I was just using 500 yds as an example.

Chad... I'm getting a lot of feedback AGAINST the 8 twist... even though I want a 8 twist as well... I'm scratching my head now...HMMMmmmmmmmm

But the 8's are still on order for now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dan brothersOriginally Posted By: K22Dan, 17 caliber 30gr. Bergers BC is 232 and Kindler 30gr. BC is 275. That will make a difference in the wind drift.

13 in @ 300..... and .... 45 in @....500

300 yds is more normal, because you guys are probably not shooting them past 300. I was just using 500 yds as an example.

13" at 300 is heavy. 9-9.5" would be much closer.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyDan,,, you're over thinking this krap!!!

1 ~ go shoot coyotes

&

2 ~ have fun doing it

..... if it's windy,,, let em get closer

THIS!!!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

Let me ask you this Dan, will your program allow for a moving coyote? Running walking or a simple trot? It can not. You learn how to lead at all range by doing. Get out and apply your set up in as many environments as you can and learn how to lead by a "Volkswagon" wind is the same.

After you bury yourself in that program or the next you will learn that they will lie to you. This is because rarely are the bc's listed actual to your environment. It is a as tested bc. Get out and shoot. Have fun and learn what your rig will and won't do.
my 02

Yep, don't matter if you got 10" of drift or 20" if you guess wrong you still missed.

Shooting p-dogs at a distance is good practice for drift.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: Ricky BobbyDan,,, you're over thinking this krap!!!

1 ~ go shoot coyotes

&

2 ~ have fun doing it

THIS!!!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

Let me ask you this Dan, will your program allow for a moving coyote? Running walking or a simple trot? It can not. You learn how to lead at all range by doing. Get out and apply your set up in as many environments as you can and learn how to lead by a "Volkswagon" wind is the same.

After you bury yourself in that program or the next you will learn that they will lie to you. This is because rarely are the bc's listed actual to your environment. It is a as tested bc. Get out and shoot. Have fun and learn what your rig will and won't do.
my 02

Also, pick one rifle and stick with it
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyOriginally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: Ricky BobbyDan,,, you're over thinking this krap!!!

1 ~ go shoot coyotes

&

2 ~ have fun doing it

THIS!!!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

my 02

Also, pick one rifle and stick with it
grin.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
That's why so many run the HMR.

300 yards?

I can't even see a coyote that for out let alone shoot at one that far! LOL

If ya get them closer you don't have to worry about the wind drift.

LOL... I think some of you guys are crazier than I am...LOL.

My WHOLE PURPOSE for going to Montana was for longer range shots than what I had been getting in W.Ok and W.Ks. I knew I could kill more dogs in those areas.... but I wanted to see that Big Country and shoot way out there at those dogs. I always had my finger on the mute button so that I could mute it as soon as I saw a dog, so it wouldn't get too close... because of wanting longer shots. But I always forgot about the wind drift. I wasn't really ready for longer shots that were offered...but I won't make that mistake again. I travel too far, not to be ready. My main focus will be these two rifles, that are in the works right now... the 20-250 AI...and the..22-243 AI..with same stock, scope, trigger pull... a pair of twins. I will live, eat, and sleep with them, until I know their drops and drifts, better than Doggin knows the 17 HMR.

This drift stuff is really interesting. I know that none of it is exact, because of all the many variables mentioned... but it's at least a rough guideline for comparisons.

Bang Flop sounds are FUN to me... not misses... or laughing dogs sitting on the hillside, just out of reach.

I guess if I had lived in the Old Days... I would have grown up to be a Buffalo Hunter... or a Brothers Down-Under.

PS... I haven't hit a running dog yet... which is more reason for me to be able to knock'em down way out there.

Last edited:
Well stop pressing the mute button, sit still and let them come on in.

My goal is to get a coyote in my lap. I find that when I press the muzzle against the target I get the best results.
wink.gif
lol

there are charts and then there is real world.
i've seen the 2 not coresponde with each other enough to know i don't like charts
smile.gif

Back