Need a wicked .22 LR bullet

Originally Posted By: BigRobbieRobThe only 22LR round I will hunt with is the 36gr Armscor HP. Devastating doesn't even begin to describe what they do to squirrels and rabbits. Only 22 round I've shot where the animal [beeep] with it is DRT. Flat puts them down.

Are these the Armscor that they advertise as sub-sonic?

Originally Posted By: calling_rookieI believe the Aguila Super Max are the fastest and most deadly 22's out there, although not the most accurate in my Anshutz.

Fastest - out of the muzzle - yes. However, the light 30gn bullet loses velocity and energy quickly. At 100yds, the Supermax is just 12ft/s faster than the Velocitor but has only 75% of the energy (Supermax- 77.6ft/lbs Velocitor 104.9ft/lbs). Actually, the Velocitor has more energr at 50yds than the Supermax.

It is hard to quantify deadlyness. There are many factors that apply, penatration, expansion, and transfer of energy, just to name a few. But, beyond 50yds, the Velocitor wins in the energy catagory. A bullet that is carrying more energy, can transfer more energy when it hits, if expansion is good.

RWS subsonics. great bullet, i use these for squirrel. i shoot these out of a ruger 77/22 and they group the best out of my gun..when i shoot a squirrel you can hear it hit. can't say enough about this bullet.

Love the mini mag hollow points.They work great on squirrels.

0827090835.jpg

I read on I think was Rimfire Forum someone was selling a tool.? Where you put in a 22 RF & either cut or file down the heads of the 22's flat,? And they are awesome on small game for shooting them.?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: REDTAIL I read on I think was Rimfire Forum someone was selling a tool.? Where you put in a 22 RF & either cut or file down the heads of the 22's flat,? And they are awesome on small game for shooting them.? Why not just buy then 36 grain Remington Viper's? I think they are basically what you described and are readily available. I use its cousin, the Yellow Jacket and I love them.

I used Yellow Jackets for years in my 10-22 with great results but had to limit my shots to heads only due to all the damage they cause.I tried the Vipers hoping that might not be as bad with them but the gun just didn't shoot nearly as well with them.

Ever tried the CCI Small Game Bullet? That is a 40 gr. lead flat point high velocity load that has worked very well for me in several rifles. That SGB has always been accurate and consistent, hits with a "smack", and doesn't tear body shot squirrels up too badly like a hollow point might.

File down the tip of your 22 LR or shorts bullets, As they will make a great Small game killing ammo called the Flat Point bullet which Iv'e been reading about for some time now on other forums & how deadly these are on Small Game etc.

Cant beat the winchester 3/1 segmenting bullet. it is a 37 grain bullet propelled to a speedy 1435 fps. I will break into 4 pieces and dump energy quickly and each segment is 4-5 grains and the base averages 22-25 grains after separating from the top side pellets. The 3 smaller pellets penetrate about 3 inches and the base will penetrate to a deep 7-9 inches. This may seem over-penetration but that is totally up to you. Good luck!

This may not be a very good body shot round due to the 4 chunks of lead going into him but if you hit him in the head it will dump energy faster than any other bullet. Hope you find a good round to take them tree rats down!

I don't know about you, but I cannot find any .22 LR to buy! This has been going on for about a year now. It's crazy! I would recommend CCI Velocitors, if you can find them.

cci mini mags or my favorite is the grey box of super x hollow points from Winchester. but it all boils down to what shoots best out of your gun

Originally Posted By: Cabin FeverI took the kids (10 & 14) out over the weekend for some squirrel hunting. Although they tried to take head and neck shots, they sometimes grazed the head/neck and hit the squirrels in the shoulder. Anyway, I had to chase some of the squirrels down (tough in ~1' of snow) and bloodtrail with less than perfect shot placement.

We were using regular .22 Remington hollowpoints. I use to use .22 CCI Stingers, that I stopped using because I just ran out one day and started using the Rem hollowpoints. I am thinking of switching back to the CCI Stingers, as I remember them blowing the snot out of whatever they hit.

Are there other .22 longrifles bullets that I should consider? I want a wicked little bullet that will hold them down.

Buy a 17 MachII..........

PLOTBOSS

Back