Benchmark In .223

UncleDoc

I have heard some glowing reports on the accuracy and velocity of the .223 Remington when using close to maximum loads of Benchmark. Wondering if anyone else has heard the same or would like to comment on this...

I love benchmark. Iv loaded it with 40gr v max 1/2moa groups 3,300fps from a 16" barrel. 53gr v max same groups 3,100fps same barrel. Up to 60gr bullets all shot really well. It burns clean in a gas gun too.

I run benchmark in the 20pr and have had really good results. Have not ran it in the 223 but have used it in the 6x45 and the 6mmwoa during load developement but switched to different powders as primary use but have loads for the guns with it. I would not think twice about using it in the 223 but I have a great load for the 223 with H335 and h322 in the 6mmwoa so the benchmark gets used in the 20pr.

I use it in my 5.56/ 223 loads.
It really shines with the 55 Nosler BT's.
Also, it meters very well through my Dillon powder throwers, and burns clean.

Last edited:
I've found Benchmark to shoot the best out of my AR. Not sure on the velocity, but in terms of trajectory it shoots very similar to Varget which is usually the fastest for velocity in the .223.

Also IME I found Benchmark to be one of the cleanest burning powders.

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerI've found Benchmark to shoot the best out of my AR. Not sure on the velocity, but in terms of trajectory it shoots very similar to Varget which is usually the fastest for velocity in the .223.

So you are speaking of bullets higher than 55 grns? And not .223 in general?

25.5 of it pushing a 55 BK. 5@100 clocks right at 3300

2E33E05B-D5D6-4327-865B-5FED1C5AA500_zpsaqu9ereb.jpg

My AR loves it 55 gr BT or 60 gr v max or a 65 gr gameking all will shoot dime size groups . My AR has a 20 in bull flutted barrel. I have 20+ PDS on hand use it in one of my 22 250 to. Can't go wrong.

I was referring to Varget being the fastest? Depending upon the Manual you read, there are many different replies. Depends upon what Lawyer authorized the loads? lol

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerI've found Benchmark to shoot the best out of my AR. Not sure on the velocity, but in terms of trajectory it shoots very similar to Varget which is usually the fastest for velocity in the .223.

So you are speaking of bullets higher than 55 grns? And not .223 in general?

Yeah sorry I didn't clarify that too well. I was speaking in terms of bullets in the 55 grain range, and not necessarily .223 in general.

Originally Posted By: pahntr76025.5 of it pushing a 55 BK. 5@100 clocks right at 3300

2E33E05B-D5D6-4327-865B-5FED1C5AA500_zpsaqu9ereb.jpg

Pahntr760- Have you tried any hotter loads with the Benchmark and the Game Kings, or did you stop at 25.5 grains? I picked up a box of the BTHP am going to load them with Benchmark.

Last edited:
Back