Snow Machine vsTracked UTV's??

We get lots of deep snow here. I don't have a utv but I do have an atv with tracks. I have the tatou 4s tracks and I love them. I believe they are way better than mattracks. I have also spent time on snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are way faster than tracks. They also can go up steeper hills. The kind of hills where velocity is required to make it over. That is where the snowmobile advantages end. I can carry way more gear on my atv. It's tough to carry gear on a sled. You will get stuck on a sled way more than with tracks. Digging a sled out sucks. If I try to go up something too steep and spin out I just go into reverse and it backs right out. The only time I have been stuck is if your front tracks climb over a log and you get high centered. Your tracks then try to go under the log instead of over. You should always carry a saw just in case. I have been in snow so deep that when i got off the atv i sunk over waist deep. You will want power steering and as much horsepower as you can get. (2 areas I am lacking). If you are lacking on horsepower you will have a slow ride. With the tracks I can maneuver in thick timber and around and through things that a snowmobile would not have a prayer. Also my atv is way more stable and sure footed. I can do things that would cause a rollover or back flip if I had my tires on. Love my tracks. Just need a better atv for them. I would recommend nothing smaller than a 700.

Originally Posted By: tt35

What is the better option to the Polaris tracks, the Mattracks?

The Mattracks are a much better system. The "suspension" within the unit works well, and because they don't use a hyfax slide, like the last Polaris set I sold, you could use them in more than just snow.

The tatou 4s does not have hifax. Just wheels. So they can be used in mud or dirt as well as snow. I was intrigued by the suspension in the mattracks myself. But as I did more research I found they are heavier, cost more, and don't perform as well in the snow as the 4s. Watch the video below.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQh2FYwjUyg

If you are looking for somewhere to buy tracks I can recommend atvtracks.net. Those guys are very helpful. I bought mine there and had a great experience dealing with them. You can call them and they will answer any questions you have. Super nice guys.

Originally Posted By: orkanHey skinney, how quiet is your UTV? Do you find that you can get any closer to your sets, or are you still working with a standoff distance of 1/4-1/2 a mile?

Just noticed this... the new 900's are quieter than the ol 800's... Most of the time we still make our sets 1/4 mile minimum from where we park usually 3/4 - 1 mile average I would say
bored.gif
, depending on wind, and terrain, sometimes it differs...

The British Ice Challenger exploration team used a screw drive in their Snowbird 6 vehicle (a modified Bombardier tracked craft) to traverse the ice floes in the Bering Strait.

We may have to use an artificial snow machine here if it doesn't start snowing! No need for UTV tracks here this year, yet!

I ride an M8 too and no atv/utv tracked anything is going to follow me, but then I need deep snow too. I play on steep hills in snow that would bring your UTV to a halt on flat ground. That said it's for a totally different purpose.

I'd love to have tracks on my ATV but can't quite justify it. Your Rangers won't follow my grizz 660 on the deeper snow either - you're too fat and heavy. So if you want to run deeper snow you need a lighter ATV and not a heavy ranger.

If your in timber like me tracks are a challenge, the front tracks will to pop over a log -knock snow off the log, which makes it jump up- then the rear ATV tracks will dive under the log and wedge it between the top of the track and floorboards. Really sucks and can derail a track quick.

Didn't see anyone mention fuel range, a tracked atv/utv is cut but a ton and get really bad in deeper snow. The machine works hard and drinks fuel, no guzzles fuel!
Also tracked ATV's aren't allowed on snowmobile trails up here, got to have a ski per the rules. Some of my trapping is done off snowmobile trails.

I think some of you all really misjudge how much crap you can carry on a utility snowmobile like a bearcat - especially pulling a sled behind it.
If you're riding hard pack or trails you can't beat a bearcat towing a toboggan. It'll carry more than a ranger and do it faster/farther with less fuel.

There is no right answer or "best" as they all serve different roles.

If you're planning to buy some hunting equipment look over the stuff you'll be riding or want to ride and go from there. If I lived in a flat lander area I'd be on a tracked ranger with full cabin and heat - but up here I'd just sink it to never never land.

It sounds like tt35 needs a tracked UTV hunting big open country. A Rhino is a bit lighter if you'll be running deeper snow, I know they'll go further in the deep stuff than a pig heavy ranger.

Last edited:
we use a little honda 450 and it drags me and my 230 lb buddy through the bog with no problem i would rather have a track machine over a snowmobile any day,and we have a nice little rack built on it to climb up for a better view

I have been using tracks on ATV and UTV's for 20 years. The first two sets were Camoplast and the last set was by Mattracks. Here is what you should know. I use them year around, mostly during snow in the winter, mud in the spring. We do not use them usually much in the summer as tires work then. I leave them on the machine year around. They are not abused and the same type of use for all three sets of tracks to compare by.

Initially Camoplast had bearings that could be replaced in the bogey wheels and hifax. That set of tracks was on a Honda 400 ATV and they lasted 10 years. I had to replace the bearings once over that period for a cost of $500. Great design and very efficient. Did not lose any speed. Cost for tracks was $3,200. I gave them to an employee. The tracks became loose after 10 years and I run a surveying business so down time is costly.

Second set of Camoplast went on a Arctic Cat TBX 700. After 3 years the bearings were going bad. I find out the bearings are cast into the bogey wheels on the new design so you need to buy the entire wheel and not just the bearing. Instead of a $7-$10 bearing it is $30/wheel. I replaced the large wheels for about $1,000. I would need another $2,000 for the small bogey wheels if I was to replace those. I sold the tracks. They cost me $3,800 new.

I purchase a set of Mattracks out of Karlstad, MN for my 2016 Honda Pioneer 700. I added electronic power steering on the machine. I purchased the XT UR [front] and XT UR Plus [rear]. They have different options based on the quality of bearings. $6,500 $8,500 or $9,500 costs. I went with the $6,500 track option. I picked up the machine in Grand Forks and drove it to Karlstad and had the factory install the tracks in May of 2016. In May of 2017, I noticed several bad bearings. They had a 1 year warranty so I took the machine back to the factory and they upgraded the bearings to the better grade bearing. I paid them the difference between the bearing cost and $500 for labor for a total of $1,772 in repairs.

We used the machine a bit in the winter, but not so much and in the spring mostly. In May of 2019 we noticed the lugs on the tracks were torn off the rear tracks. I contacted Mattracks and they said there was an upgrade. I sent them $2,100 for the upgrade and new tracks. I figured I could put in the parts. After I received the parts, there was no way I could install them. I took the parts and machine back to Karlstad to have them put the upgrade kit in. They called me after looking at our tracks and said a lot was worn and bad bearings again. It would cost another $4,200 on top of the $2,100 to get them repaired and that did not include labor. When I posed the question to Mattracks as "Why would I give you $6,300 to fix tracks that I paid $6,500 for just 3 years earlier and I had paid another $1,772 for the good bearings?" they had no answer. The Mattracks would have cost me $14,500 to operate 3 years or $4,850/year.

I figured it cost me $7.75/mile driven or $32/hour just to run Mattracks and that does not account for the cost of the UTV. They look great, but after spending the above, it was a great learning experience. Only those that want to waste their money should run tracks. I would have been better to run Camoplast tracks for $4,500 and throw them away as soon as they started having bearing issues. It would have been cheaper. I am looking at Kimpex tracks next. I may just stop working in the winter or use a snowmobile. Not enough profit margin to run tracks on most jobs.

Welcome. Very informative,and expensive! I'm not sure if you noticed but you resurrected a 6yr old post. If the posters aren't dead by now, I imagine their machines are.
smile.gif

Back