Looking for advice on new Fox gun...

Just out of curiosity...how much would a basic reloading setup cost? And what is a good brand to go with? Is there anything that is absolutely essential? I will prob start a new thread on this but still do some searching 1st. I know NOTHING about reloading at all lol.

There's tons of reading on this in the reloading form. Just go back thru the pages and read all the new reloader threads. Then start another with your questions. Seriously though..... There's more reading in there than you could do in a month maybe even longer.

Lol i have plenty of time
smile.gif

If I recall correctly, I said IF YOU WERE DYING TO BUY A NEW GUN, THEN GET A 17 REMINGTON. This obviously says that this would have been my secondary choice.

I can find .17 HH ammo here fairly easy......almost easier than .22 or .223 ammo at present. I have had the .17REM and liked the round...just not the gun I had.

You will like the CZ for accuracy. The bolt is different, but my CZ .223 shoots very well...ooh and I love the detachable mag. (on any rifle).

I'm with greenqt88 on reloading. May have to visit a local friend or extended neighbor this summer and watch the reloading process. I have heard the .17 have a few more difficulties with reloading.( ie...small bullets for handling and watching powder amts. very carefully)

Thanks for the tips....

Here in OH it's a good mix of fox and coyotes...but more coyotes overall I think.

Originally Posted By: greengt88I failed to mention I have a ,223 also....I have fired 5rds through it since owning. I have looked at a .204 and agree that its too much for fox. I shot 1 on 1st day of small game this year with my .17hmr...it dropped in its tracks, but it was barely a 10yd shot. I was very pleased with the performance. I just want something to fill the void between. also I have a potential buyer for the .223 so will eventually go with a .204 in the future (what I wanted when I got .223)...like I said I have no plans to reload as I don't shoot for a hobby, so a few boxes once its zeroed is all I need for hunting. my only concern with the hornet is ammo availability, but the .17rem scares me alittle with so many ammo choices and stories of bad factory loads and its better suited for a reloader....so idk what to do....don't want to sell .223 for .17h and then not have any ammo...fig. I will need atleast 50rds to sight in and another 50+ to hunt with for remainder of season.

Here is my two cents: I LOVE the 17rem. I too was alittle hesitant to buy one. But after a lot of research and talking with guys that use it I took the plunge. I had Scott at Specialized Dynamics build me a AR in 17rem. We pushed the envelope a bit, I hunt a lot of thick brush, so I needed a shorter barrel. All of my research showed most guys using 22in barrels which was too long. But after a lot of talk with Scott we decided to go with an 18 in barrel. I was a bit nervous about the accuracy with such a short barrel, but those fears are LONG gone!!! I have used my 17 to take fox, bobcat and coyote with a lot of success. First weekend that I had the gun I took this fox:

IMG_0308 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

Then I went out the next weekend and got this bobcat:

IMG_2452 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

I do not know what kind of issues people were having with ammunition as I have had ZERO ammunition issues with the 17rem. Granted, I would like to have a few more choices, but the Remington factory ammunition with the Hornady 25 grain hp's do great and don't tear up my fur. Since getting my 17 I have only had one fox that got tore up and that was a cross chest shot on a running fox where I clipped it in the left front and it grazed across to the right shoulder. Killed the fox but tore open the front of the chest. Since getting the rifle I added a 45 deg offset mount and a Burris FastFire2 dot sight for the up close work. I got this fox at about 20 yards with the dot, then got a second on the stand at 125 with my scope about 60 seconds later:

IMG_2677 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

I have had two foxes that I could not recover, they took the hit and crawled under some rocks, but most drop right where I hit them.

As for the 204, it is a great cartridge but I would not say that they are fur friendly at all. I think you could make them fur friendly, if you handload. Using a 25gr hollowpoint at 4200 fps will replicate the performance of the 17rem, but again that is handloading. So if you are looking for off the shelf, go with the 17rem.

Hope to have the .223 gone fri or sat....and not sure when i can get to gun dealer afterwards with holidays coming....i will be sure to post pics of either my new .17rem or .17hornet
smile.gif

Any recommendations on rifle if i do go with .17rem?
Def decided on cz 527 for .17hornet though

Originally Posted By: greengt88Hope to have the .223 gone fri or sat....and not sure when i can get to gun dealer afterwards with holidays coming....i will be sure to post pics of either my new .17rem or .17hornet
smile.gif

Unless you find an older M700, a CZ might be the only option other than Cooper, when talking factory stuff.

If I was wanting a straight up fox rifle ,17 Rem would not be it.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: greengt88Hope to have the .223 gone fri or sat....and not sure when i can get to gun dealer afterwards with holidays coming....i will be sure to post pics of either my new .17rem or .17hornet
smile.gif

Unless you find an older M700, a CZ might be the only option other than Cooper, when talking factory stuff.

If I was wanting a straight up fox rifle ,17 Rem would not be it.

I'm a true diehard lover of the 17 Rem., but I have to agree with Tim. 17 HH, 22 Hornet, 22 mag., 17 WSM, or even a 17 HMR, would be much better choices.

I am intrigued alittle by the bmag...idk how much of a step up it is from the hmr. And with all the send backs...i will hold off on one of those. I still want the .17rem. But doubt i will need it. Prob next gun after the hornet will be a .204 or even an ar build.

Originally Posted By: greengt88Ok i will stick with the hornet then and find ammo some how...or start reloading.

That would be my suggestion. If you are gonna shoot .17s you will need to start reloading.

Back