Wife thinks reloading is too dangerous

I havent blown myself up in 6 years. My wife calls me Tim the tool guy. Iv been know to tear things up.

Now that I think about it. She did raise my life insurance.

I reloaded in my basement for 17 years, before we built a new
house, and part of the bargain was I got a 2 story 36'x52',
6" thick walls, insulated, radiant floor heated, bathroom,
and kitchen included in a shop, 250' from the house...So she
has to walk some to tell me about my short comings.
rolleyes.gif

But for those first 17 years, I never had anything dangerous
happen. I had a primer or two pop, on shotgun loaders, after
a shot spill put a pellet in the primer seater. And
technically smokeless powder is not an explosive. It burns
fast, and needs a container to generate pressure.

I think working on cars, welding, and cutting firewood
would be more dangerous than reloading, unless you talk
about careless loaders, that deviate from load data, or
lose focus and over charge a case, and that takes a firearm
apart. I have loaded 10s or 100s of thousands of rounds,
and never had one make a firearm go boom. I had a case
failure in a 9mm pistol, that took out an extractor, and
a magazine, but that was my failure to spot a case with
a crack at the case head(case was a range pickup with a
Glock Smile that I missed on inspection).

Bottom line is don't let any person, dictate what is safe or
not, based on ignorance. Reloading is a very safe hobby
if one follows directions, and pays attention to details.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous......

She probably read that on the internet, huh? You know what they say about internet facts.......

Do you ride a dirt bike, other motorcycle, 4 wheeler etc.

Truth..

In 25 years, I've been hurt more times riding responsibly on an ATV than I have reloading.

No major incedents in the hobby. I've never blown up a gun and still have eyes, fingers, face etc..

How does she think that the factory does it? Must be a lot of turn over from injury, poor souls.

More people have been seriously hurt in the kitchen than at the reloading bench or firing line with reloads. lol

So is handling a firearm and driving around sitting on 15gallons of gas. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing you will never hear her say I told you so.

I would change her title to EX-Wife.

Been loading for around 45 years give or take. Still alive and got all five on each hand.
The only way I have hurt myself is I got a sliver in my pinky from the top of the bench.
Your wife is more apt to hurt her self cooking and cleaning than you would be reloading.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeIt's way safer than getting married !

Firedancing wearing sterno pants is safer than getting married!

I have been reloading for 40 years and I am still at it. Sure there have been a few mishaps but hey- s#it happens, right? Right?

I mean, nothing like a real test for those smoke alarms every now and then is there? And third degree burns are only a little bit worse than second degree burns. And really, what better way to see just how fast your local fire department can actually respond?

No matter what the neighbors say otherwise, I am sure that my roof never got any higher than 5-6 feet up at any time during the explosion(s) and shucks, I was already hard of hearing anyway. Deaf is just harder of hearing in my opinion. Will not miss hearing any chin music from the wife that's for sure.

And wow- look at all of the For Sale signs go up in your neighborhood after you level your house/garage/shop the second or third time. Good riddance I say. Not like it took them all that long to do a good clean up. Is it my fault that all of the sewer lines backed up into their homes? I do not think so.

Lastly, I never did like the wife's cat all that much anyhow. In my opinion she looks better with no tail or ears or fur.

So yes indeed, reloading is fun. But is it fun and safe? Well, that depends on what your definition of "safe" is. For sure, it is a "safe" bet that it will create some excitement in your life.

And also for sure, as long as I still have one good eye and most of my fingers I will keep doing it.

My advise would be to find a mentor or someone who is very experienced and have him show your wife exactly what it is all about. Have him show her the steps needed to put a cartridge together along with the safety precautions that we all learned and are now a habit.

My guess is that she just doesn't understand the process.

Back