Effective range with 10GA

hoosierdaddy

I'm looking at a Browning 10GA autoloader for duck and turkey hunting. While I'm at it I might as well think about using it for some coyote hunting as well. How far out is it effective? Also, how expensive is it to shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ?

for the most part...no different than a 12 or 20 guage. I know that's not always believed or accepted....but if you will look at the ammo offerings......

velocity is the same.... amount of pellets..yes more.

but same energy in each pellet...

..more punishment to you, yes!

a bit discouraging , eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

maybe there is a supe hi-velocity load out there..???

but then you get into the arguments, facts, fallacies of "too fast for the pellets to pattern well"

European sporting clays and FITASC shooters have been shooting very fast 7/8 oz loads for years and they don't seem to have any issues on the long pegs.

I understand shotgun ballistics enough to know that the heavier load allows for more pellets of a larger size and weight. The larger pellets retain energy farther. The heavier load will permit enough of the larger pellets that a good pattern is possible at a longer distance than a smaller load. The larger and heavier pellets will in fact retain more energy down range. That coupled with a better pattern will equate to a longer effective range.

Additionally I know that the basic laws of the universe are such that a 1 1/2 ounce load shot from a 12 gauge barrel will produce more felt rearward energy than an identical load/charge fired from a 10 gauge barrel.

What I don't know is how far people are killing coyotes with 10 gauge shotguns. Any information pertaining to the effective killing range of a 10 gauge shotgun is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited:
yep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I kinda figured you knew that stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

you know you want that 10gauge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

That Browning 10 gauge "Gold", if fitted with the correct choke tube and shooting Winchester XX Magnum or Federal "premium" fodder in copper plated and buffered BB or #4 BUCK will whack coyotes graveyard dead at 50-55 yards.
Be sure to pattern your shotgun to check for pattern density and point of impact in regard to point of aim.

Last edited:
TimberToes,

I know I want it. I just don't have any idea if I'll shoot it or if I can afford to. I'm really just trying to find justification to buy something I've had a romantic notion about for years. I'm going through the same mid-life crisis with a fine European double in 20 bore. I really really REALLY want one. I don't have a freaking clue if I can actually shoot one.

Maybe I should just buy a vette...

Thanks Rich. I'm really partial to my ARs but I can see the use in a shotgun too. I have a few rifles sitting in the safe gathering dust. My club has a used Browning Gold 10 w/ nice wood stock that I can get for about $725. I'm thinking hard about it.

Does anyone reload 10 GA? I'll have to see if Mec makes a 9000G in 10GA.

Keep them 10 gauge stories coming. I had this thing up to the counter last night and backed out at the last second. I'll probably get by Friday afternoon and fondle it again.

Last edited:
hoosierdaddy,
Some fellers actually DO reload their own ammo for the mighty ten gauge. You can buy a reloader at fairly reasonable price if you shop around. There is a company called Ballistics Products that offers extra hard lead shot, a special plastic wad with no slits and etc for those who want to taylor their shot gun loads for specific purpose.

hoosierdaddy,

I just bought a used Browning Gold 10 right here in the PM classifieds about 2 months ago. The only animal I have had the chance to shoot are a couple coons while on a night hunt last month. It did the trick easily at 35 yards with BB size shot, but I guess that's not saying much really. I'll be trying it out on coyotes come fall. I have high hopes. I have patterned it with BB size shot (and some smaller). It patterns excellent at 40 and 50 and even 60 yards with just about any choke I have for it. I have no doubt it will do the trick. Yea, yea, so would a 12 gauge but I'm with you man. I'm no shotgun guru or anything, but more pellets has to say something. And my Gold 10 doesn't kick enough to scare me away. Besides, if I'm shooting at a coyote or other animal, I could CARE LESS!!! about the kick. That doesn't even cross my mind. It's not like we're going to shoot skeet with it or anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dude, you know you want it. Just go back and get it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW...I have yet to find a good place to buy 10 gauge #4 buck. And I do not reload, so if you find some please send me a PM. #4 buck is what I'd like to start using in it.

God Bless.
Joel

I have a 10ga Gold I really like. As long as I don't have to carry it far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. The weight is the only thing I don't like about it, it helps keep the punishment to a minimum though. Felt recoil as less than my 3" 12ga A-5.

You get a lot of people saying its overkill and a 12 is 98% as effective as the 10. However, if you are like me that 2% is worth it. Don't let someone talk you out of it thinking you are caught in the hype. I deer hunt (mostly) with a 25-06 (small in rifle realm) but I grab my 10 when scattering. I'm not caught up in the MAGNUM hype. It just works a little better.

With that said, you'll need to research to get it to "work better." Pattern different shot size, brand, chokes, ect. I prolly have more $ in chokes than most have in their gun.

If you are willing to do the research and testing you will be very pleased. Plan on spending some $ though.

The best thing I have found to shoot out of my gold is Nitro Ammo Company shells. (www.nitrocompany.com) I have not extensively tested small shot but have spent a lot of time and money on buckshot. My Gold with a clean barrel and a pattern master choke will put 8+ pellets of "Nitro Company's"OOO Buck in a 20" circle at 70yrds. I can cover 11+ (out of the 14) pellets with a ball cap at 50 yrds. Nitro states on their website they can pattern all 14 pellets in a 23" circle at 70 yrds. I may have duplicated this once but I could not consistently. I also tried the Rhino .690 choke (what they recommend) with nearly identical results.

If you are willing to pay the $2.84 a piece for the shells. They are well above and beyond any factor XX mag, premium, or premier I have ever shot. I'm sure you can duplicate it also. That should take a yote right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Quote:
My Gold with a clean barrel and a pattern master choke will put 8+ pellets of "Nitro Company's"OOO Buck in a 20" circle at 70yrds. I can cover 11+ (out of the 14) pellets with a ball cap at 50 yrds. Nitro states on their website they can pattern all 14 pellets in a 23" circle at 70 yrds.

Now if only you could find some real, real, big coyotes with 20" chest. You'd be set at that range. However, it does sound like you're good to go at 50 yards. About like a good lighterweight, smaller framed, nimbler more responsive .12 gauge. No hype, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of a .10 gauge. I don't have an axe to grind there, just trying to keep things in perspective. Fellows, coyotes ain't that big. See what your gun/choke/load will do on a paper plate size target in the center of your point of aim. Think center dense and pattern small for long range coyote shotgunning. Long range with a shotgun is still a limited term despite some of the "hype" you hear on the forums. That last isn't aimed toward anyone in this particular thread.

I hate information that is incomplete but, a professional told me not long ago that he likes the copper-plated turkey loads. I just can't remember the pellet size. I'm assuming it would be the largest, plated, shot you could find. He said the penetration was very impressive and flat stones these dogs.

Can't comment on duck or turkey shooting. But if your intentions are to use it for coyote. Personally, I'd buy one with a full-choke(non-tubed). As others have stated any shotgun hunter should test their gun(s) patterns @ various yardages with different sized shot. It is also(IMO)a good idea, to test these different shot-sizes for "down-range" energy not just patterns. As you probably already know, coyotes are a tough critter & can often soak up a lot of lead.

I always used a standard full-choke(non-tubed)30" & 36" barreled 12ga. With mostly #3 & #4 Buffered Buckshot. Worked mighty fine, on the dogs.

I bought some 00 buck for my sp10 and it patterned very well at 60 yards. I had to use it to finish off a coyote with it that I had hit in the jaw with a rifle and knocked it out. It was standing at 50 yards facing away from me and one shot killed it clean. Didn't even twitch. A little expensive to shoot though, About $7.50 for five shells.

Fifty yards is within the range of any good 3" inch .12 gauge gun/choke/load using BB, BBB, T, No. Four Buck buffered and copper/nickle plated Lead or Hevi-Shot. I am curious, did you skin that coyote and see how many pellet strikes you made with your 00 load?

Last edited:
No, sold him whole. I was pretty curious to know too. When I was patterning it 12 out of 18 hit within a 20 inch circle at 60 yards. I was most impressed that they all went thru 3/4 inch wood cleanly.

Just my .02cents but coyotes are much more difficult to kill compared to a turkey or a goose with a scattergun.Just my opinion once again,but I'd keep my shots to within 40yds with #4buck for a clean kill.Can you kill them farther out? Yes,but I'd think you would cripple more than you kill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I would shoot my 10 out to sixty yds and not worry a lick, I feed it bbb tungsten iron, and to make a long story short I was switching from rifle to shotgun and the coyote saw the movement and turned to leave, not having time to switch back I just put it on him high and let it eat. He spun a couple times before going down as I almost let him have it again. 87 yds to the dog, not braggin just glad that I had a load good enough to go the distance when I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

I would call it good to about 55yds. One time I was shooting a 416 Rigby at the range and everyone looked at me like I was some kind of nut. Then a guy showed up with a 10ga. shooting 31/2 slugs. He asked me if I would like to shoot it, in my head I was thinking "no" all the way, but I couldn't "wimp out" in front of my peers, so I said "Hell yeah!" This shotgun probably weighed 2lbs. less than the .416. "Brutal" is about the only word I can use to describe it. I shot a whole magazine full, and actually had it shooting well for the guy when I was done. Boy, did I get suckered into that one! Once the guy knew it was "on", he only shot it like 2 more times! Now I know what they mean when they say "Young and dumb and full of ***!--2MG

I have a Browning Gold 10 Stalker, and I reload bismuth,
and Hevi-Shot for it. I have folded waterfowl up
stone cold dead at 50 yards. I dropped last year's
Tom, at 53 paces, with #5 Hevi-Shot loads, I crafted
from Ballistic Products components. I have only shot
1 coyote, and that was when I was turkey hunting, with
#4 Winchester Supreme turkey loads(predator control on
my property). I hit it with one shot at 45 yards, and
finished with a second hit, at about 50 yards. I am
certain if I would have been shooting #4 buck, it would
have been lights out after one shot. I love my Gold 10.
Two of my waterfowl hunting friends have them, and they
love them. I have one friend that owns, and loves his
Remington SP-10, too. There is something about the
Mighty 10, that trips my trigger. From my experience,
if you like them, you really LOVE them, and if you
do not, you will be squarely in the, "12 gauge 3.5"
does everything the 10 gauge does" camp. It of course
does not, but for those that don't care for the
expense, the noise, or the recoil, this sounds good.
Yes they are expensive to feed, even if you reload.
Yes they are loud, and they do kick...Although I would
put my Gold 10 up against any 12 gauge pump, in a
recoil comparison. But for putting a bunch of pellets
in the air, 10 gauge patterns heavy shot charges much
better than is long 12 cousin. The shot string is short,
which is a big plus on fast moving targets.

I have a friend that tells a story of a heated discussion,
about the effective range of a 10 gauge over a 12 gauge,
where alcohol was involved. The 12 gauge proponent said,
"I will bare my a$$ to any 10 gauge, at 100 yards".
Of course this challenge was accepted, and the 12
gauge proponent had to ask some friends to pick out
the pellets that had broken the skin. Maybe this
doesn't show the effective range of a 10 gauge,
but it does show the silliness of the 12 ga. vs 10 ga.
debate. You will not know if you will like a 10 gauge,
until you buy one. The Browning Gold 10 is the finest
big bore scattergun, on the market today, IMHO.

Squeeze

Back