.243 TC Venture groups- Thoughts?

DeadRightThere

Hi Fellers, I recently bought a used Thompson Center Venture in .243 from a hunting buddy. This thing just didn't shoot as good as I think it should so the first thing I did was replace the cheap combo scope with a Redfield. I've fed this thing just about every production shell I can find and the best I've been able to get out of it is about a 2" group at 100yds with 80gr Barnes Vor-tx. With any 100gr it really opens up and lighter loads aren't much better. From everything I've saw it's supposed to have a 1 in 10 twist and should handle this fine. I was hoping to use it for a mid range calling rifle and maybe let my nephew use it for deer but I've sorta lost faith in it. What do ya'll think?

Sounds like you need to reload for it and find what powder bullet combo the gun likes. I have one in 22-250 and it only took a few test groups to get mine shooting under half inch groups.factory scope has heavy crosshairs but works well.

Yes Sir, I guess you're right. I have reloading equipment that hasn't been touched in almost a year. Looks like it's time to get busy. Thank you for your input.

I'm no expert, but I own the same gun in 22-250 and was having the same issue. I adjusted (Lightened)the trigger pull and they tightened right up to 3/4in. Just an idea. Best of luck

My son has that rifle and we had similar issues. Grouped not as bad as yours and we only used hand loads. His started to come around once it had a few rounds through it, maybe 150. This one also seems to have an expensive appetite, liking Berger and Barnes bullets. Also it likes to run dirty! I tend to over clean and some barrels just don't like it. I also pulled the barreled action and made a couple adjustments on the trigger and which turned out very nice and safe. Probably not a issue but make sure the barrel is floated. I have had a few picky 243's over the years and I would guess you haven't stumbled over the right bullet yet. Good luck and keep us posted.

I forgot to mention I have the same rifle in 22-250 and it shot super out of the box, go figure!

Thanks Fellers, halstead c, I got on the trigger a week or so ago and it did help a little. WI3Der, I,m in the process of loading me some base rounds, I figure by the time I get it all worked out I'll be way over the 150 mark. I'm a cleaner too so I'll give it a try. Thank Ya'll again.

I have the same rifle, TC Venture in .243 caliber. Love it, BUT it is finicky. Every .243 me or my buddies have owned didn't take long to group a 58 gr V-Max sub MOA. As a matter of fact 4 rifles that I reload for all take 40.0 gr IMR 3031 with standard COL. My Venture on the other hand took a long time to find the right load. I had to switch to 55gr Sierra Blitzkings and the powder charge is 45.5 gr of H414. They are only going 3200 fps. I'm planning on trying Varget and get the speed up to 3800 fps, but don't know how long it will take. Otherwise it shoots the 58 gr V-max in front of 40.0 gr of IMR 3031 around 1MOA.

I suggest you use real small increments, a variety of powders and several bullet weights and manufacturers. Warning this may take time and $$. But the venture is a great rifle and will shoot once you find a load.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Acronin, I'll keep ya'll posted. I don't have a lot of $$ but am a patient man. I'll try your load as a starting pointand work from there.

Personaly, I'd send it back to T/C. That rifle is guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA with factory ammo. If it doesn't, send it back. What the worst they can say, "You're right, this gun won't shoot." or "We found that it likes ****** brand ammo." I'm guessing they throw a couple types of ammo through it and see how it shoots, if that doesn't produce the group, I'd bet they send a new one your way. If they're going to guarantee sub-MOA, they're pretty confident it will do the job. They're not going to take a hit on their reputation over a $400 gun that costs them $200 to produce.

T/C is now owned by S&W (2013). I haven't seen good feedback on their handling of T/C and plenty not so good so I'm waiting a bit to see what gives. However the people have good shooters love them, so do I. Good luck with CS, keep us posted. Rochester NH plant is being closed and moving OP to Springfield Ma.

Last edited:
I have the TC Icon blued/synthetic rifle in 243 and it shoots almost everything into very nice groups.

By any chance have you checked the action bolts to make sure they are snug? If you have a wrench that shows inch pounds, try 35 or 40 inch pounds. If you do not have one of those, just make sure the bolts are tight.

I have had the Icon in 243 since 01/01/2012. On it's maiden trip to the range, 5 of the 7 loads I took with shot under MOA. Bullets used were Barnes 80gr TTSX, Hornaday 75gr Vmax an Nosler 55gr Btips. Powders were Varget, BLC-2 and H4350.

Having left my Barnes reloads on my reloading bench when I went deer hunting, I had to buy factory loads, Hornaday 100gr BTSP. These also shot MOA.

Generally, your rifle should shoot more loads under MOA, than over.

Has anybody else shot your rifle? Were the groups any different?

Back