Caldwell Deadshot field Pod

cmil84

Ok so here is my review on this. When I get time I will take pics to show you what im talking about. Anyways, I recieved this thing on November 14th. I fell in love with it right away. Not only can you hunt with this thing but you can also take it to the range and shoot off of it just like you have a gun rest. Its great. I killed a nice 9 pt buck at around 30 to 40 yards shooting my muzzleloader off the deadshot field pod and I killed a doe at 200yrds shooting the muzzleloader off the deadshot field pod. So yes I loved this thing!!

Now for the bad part. I havent even had this thing for a month and its broke. I noticed this last saturday after I shot that 9pt buck that one of the pins down by the leggs where it opens and closes was broke. So now it just dangles there. Little unhappy with that.

To Caldwells deffense they have great customer service [beeep]. I called them and told them what happened they asked me my name and address and shipped me a new one. Im suppose to recieve it in 5 to 7 buisness days. So I have mixed feelings on this thing. When it works it is awesome!!! Seems easy to break [beeep]. I mean I babied this thing because I was afraid it was going to get broke or something. I spent 89 bucks on a tripod I dont really want to tare it up. Well It still broke. At the same time [beeep] customer service was so good they sent me a new one no questions asked. Like I said I will try and post pics later. Finale opinoin. It is still deffinetly worth buying. I got my biggest buck yet and a doe at 200yrds. I dont know how many other bipods I could have done that with. I have had alot but this deadshot fieldpod has to be my best one to own

Thanks for the review.
I liked the look of the one I saw (pic on PredatorMasters).

How heavy is it really?
Keep us updated.

Shayne

I have one and it's heavy, cumbersome and in my opinion not very conducive to coyote hunting. Well that is unless you hunt flat land and don't have to walk very far to set up. I used it on a bear hunt and it worked great for that. If I were sniping deer out of agricultural fields it would be good for that as well. However for run and gun coyote hunting it's just too heavy and awkward for me to mess with.

Can not say enough good things about mine.
794426CD-9879-441E-881F-A06DA99C84A2-14816-00000F2497EF3D81.jpg

Last edited:
question for you guys that have one. can you adjust the distance between the forks? looks fine for a longer gun, but a shorter one that you want the forend rather than the barrel resting on the front fork. I see where it says you can adjust the leg and fork height but no mention of the distance between the forks.

I have adjusted mine since this pic was taken, you can adjust the front support back. If you set it quite far back you have to tighten up the swivel (for side and up down movement) or the gun will not sit level (it will tip back). You can move the rifle ahead in the back support but it is not comfortable to shoot then, not for me anyway.

I've been using one for a year now. Origionaly I bought it to shoot Prairie Dogs in Utah last June. I needed something that could fold up and pack for flying. It worked great for that. Now I use it for Coyote hunting. I leave everything adjusted for my gun and just fold up the legs and go. The thing is so light, I have a simple rope strap that I throw over my shoulder and go. I use it with one of those fold-up chairs that Turkey hunters use. It is a deadly combination.
I actually have two. I took the legs off the second one and mounted it on the shooting chair of my hunting truck. It is by far the best portable shooting rest i've ever used.

My son got me one. I was a little skeptical of it but fooled around with in the basement & got familiar with it. Used it in my blind & it was very nice. Shot a cat at about 200 yds & a small buck at 125.
So ez to use that its like cheating........... NAH!
I get back & forth to blind by ATV so I really dont do much work...... ;-)

It took me a little while to get use to mine. Now I can break it down and set it up really quick. It really helps with accuracy and leaves both my hands free if needed. I have always used Van Guard or Bog Pod bi pods and tri pods but I use the Caldwell Deadshot Field Pod 75% ot the time now.

I like mine too. Love the way it sets up in the field. Plastic is plastic and I dropped mine and broke the clip to the strap for carrying it around. I use it also in our gun shows as a prop. It's a good piece of equipment.

They now make a new heavier one that has better studier legs on it. But it's more expensive. $200 vs the original Field Pod for $100.

It's also heavier at 13# vs 5#s for the original lighter weight one.

I've seen video of people shooting with the original field pod and there was a lot of recoil when the gun went off and the entire tripod rocked backwards. Not sure what type of gun they were using in the video but I didn't like the way the field pod rocked backwards in the video. Which is why I think I'd rather pay more and get the new heavier one for myself. I'll have to take one of of the box and look at the type of pastic they use on it. I absolutely hate things that are made out of plastic as I know darn well that it will eventually break. That's plastic for you. Yea it makes things lighter and cheaper but plastic is going to break sooner or later.

Now there are certain types of heavy plastic that lasts a lot longer than other types of plastic. So I'll look at the type of plastic they used to build the field pod.

And I won't be carrying it very far for my use. I'm not a hiker and won't be walking very far to set up a stand unless I have to. ie I'm looking for better terrain so that I can park closer to the stand and not had to walk far. At least that's the plan right now.

Carrying a 10# rifle and a 5 gallon plastic bucket with the fox pro inside and then adding the hunting vest and other tools to the mix all adds up in weight. Then adding another 13# for the field pod may be too much weight for me to handle at my age and condition.

I use a Primos Trigger Stick with two legs right now and it's easy to carry but not very steady to shoot off of. Now the trigger stick works ok with my Pellet Rifle at close range but it's not good for the heavier AR15 IMHO. And if you have to mess with the FoxPro remote or the binoculars you have to have a way to set the rifle down where it won't get dirty or get mud in the muzzle. The field pod would be good at holding the rifle until you are ready to shoot.

Back