Bullet Seating Depth - 6.5 Grendel

frittsk

Just got the tool to check my bullet seating depth. The bullet touches that lands at 2.3045" which is 0.0445" longer that the published maximum overall length. I know I need to leave a few thousands of free travel but I'm still at about 2.2945 overall length. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is 2.2945 too long? I have been having trouble keeping a tight group. Usually about 1.5-2.0 inches. I'm hoping that I can increase my cartridge length and tighten up the groups. Or do I need some machine work done?

Don't worry about the published maximum overall length. load them to fit your mag box and were they shoot the best for you.

I neglected to mention that I am shooting an AR and using 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I have maintained the recommended 2.260 AOL so far.

If you aren't single feeding them you are going to be limited by your mag. I run my 123gr SMK at a COAL of 2.265 and all feeds well. I am guessing you are gonna start jamming up the mag running them that long.

What are the specs on the gun? I would hope to get better accuracy out of it that 1.5-2.0" just running them at mag length. I would guess you may have some other factors involved as well. Have you tried any other powder/bullet combinations? Any factory ammo?

CoColt,
I just ordered this the other day. Looks like it will make measuring much easier and accurate.

Jack,
Sorry for being so silly. I'm kinda new to this and will be sure to loose the 10ths in the future.

I just loaded some rounds at 2.285 OAL. They seem to work fine in the magazine. Hopefully, I will get a chance to try them next weekend.

Thanks everyone for your advise. Tons of great info on this forum. Thanks again guys!

As some have already said. Your mag will dictate your coal. Also you might want to chrony your loads if you can. Helps find the elusive sweet spot faster. gl

Agree with the others your mag will be the factor in your loads. Make sure if you are running bullets like the btip that you are not getting any flattening of the tips.

What powder are you using? I have found a couple that I couldn't find accuracy with, xbr 8208,cfe223,aa2520 and h335 are winners . I would guess you should find an accurate node between 27.0&28.0 if xbr is your poison. I have had a few Grendel's and they all shot noslers well!

Last edited:
I am using CFE and have loaded up a variety of different loads to test just as soon as I can get out. Many positive comments about this powder and I am just getting started with it. What amount of powder have you found to be the best in your rifle?

CFE and a 120 nosler? I never recommend using another person/rifles load but 31.3g was my sweet spot. I would start at 30.5 and go up .2 at a time. I have only been able to get my hands on 1 pound of CFE since I started loading for the grendel. What I have found is Leverevolution seems to behave almost identical and is more available in my area.

Back