Opinions on a Stag Arms Model 6 Super Varminter

flyrodder

I'm thinking of buying a Stag Arms Super Varminter and was wanting to hear your ideas on it. It has a 24" 1/8 twist varmint dia barrel and their match trigger.
Thanks, Flyrodder
confused.gif

I have a friend who has one and is very pleased with it. I'm pretty sure Stag offers a .5 moa guarantee with that model. I only have one Stag myself and it's a 2T. It's the most accurate m4 I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. My Grandson and I are planning a prairie dog shoot next spring and this is one of the rifles I'm thinking about getting. I was wondering if anyone else had experience prairie dog shooting with this rifle?
Flyrodder

Have a 6L (left hand version). With my handloads, my best group was 1 5/8" at 300 yards. Didn't measure wind that day. Many times I lose track of how many I've hit on targets as they can go back in the same hole...

I like it and would recommend it.

Thanks for your replies. I picked it up. For a match trigger, it's a little draggy then it breaks clean. I don't like the trigger as good as I like my RRA Varminter's trigger. I'll function the trigger dry several times then I'll put a little lube on it.
Thanks for the kind words, sandhillshunter. My Grandson is only 8 but he's ate up with hunting.
thumbup.gif
I have some swinging metal targets that he really enjoys shooting with his .22.
Flyrodder

After opening the Stag up. It appears to have the SAME match trigger as my RRA Varminter. I think I was dragging my finger on the Stag's trigger guard. The RRA has the winter(sagging trigger guard) guard and I'm not resting my finger on it.
After realizing this and shooting it, I'm very satisfied with my Stag Model 6 Varminter now. At 200 yds, it is shooting a 1 1/8" group with 52 gr Sierras with appox 60 rounds through it.
Flyrodder

Last edited:
I have owned a Stag Arms 6L for two years now. Have never had to re-load for it as Hornady 75 or 77 grain factory ammo shoots very well out of this gun. Average group for 10 - 5 shot groups = 0.465". Again, that's with factory ammo. Can't say enough about this gun or Stag Arms. This is the heavy barrel model with fixed stock. Barrel twist is 1 in 8. Great gun!
Dave

Originally Posted By: flyrodderMy groups are around 5/8" at 100 yds now. I like it!
Flyrodder

Are you still shooting the 52g sierra ?

Due to the lack of bullets, I've shot several brands in that weight range since I asked this question. Down to 40gr to up through 55gr all with excellent results. Rifle is heavy to carry around. I mostly use it for p-dogs. Now I'm using 50gr V-max, 52gr Hornady HPBT and 50gr Z-max bullets.
Flyrodder

I had the left hand model, sold it and wish I had not. I only shot factory ammo and I found that the 60g v-max bullets from Black Hills were extremely accurate.
I was out with a friend one day and shot an 8 shot group rapid fired off of sandbags on the bench and you could cover that group with a dime.
At 200 yards a sub inch group was no problem even with factory ammo.

Lyle

I've shot less than a 0.3" 3 shot group at 100 with mine. 55 gr Hornady v max with 25.5 gr of varget. My most accurate AR and is my goto Prairie dog gun! Enjoy it.

I bought my stag model 6 this October and only have 20 rounds through it. Im finally going to have time this week to get out and shoot it. Deer season is finally over.

Back