S&W Performance Center 44 MAG 629-6 Scope Question

Mr. Mister

I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson Performance Center 629-6 in 44 MAG. I intend to hunt pigs and deer with the weapon, and maybe coyote’s in the Nevada sage.

I’m guessing 100 yards will be my longest shots maybe 150 at the most.

My question is what power scope to buy? I am leaning towards a fixed 6x but some of my friends feel I’ll loose to much FOV.

I’ve never purposely hunted with a handgun before but my thinking is that it’s kind of the same as a guide rifle. You would see the target with both eyes as you brought the weapon up. Once in line with your dominant eye the target should be in the FOV allowing you to close the other eye and take careful aim.

Sound right or am I way off? If I’m nuts what scope power would you suggest?

Thanks,

Steve

You might want to try a red dot at those ranges unless you are wanting magnification.In my opinion 6x would be too much with a long eye relief scope,I would probably go with a 4x.Straycat

I agree with using a red dot. Try a scope out at the gun shop. Pull it up and see how fast you can get on target with one. Handgun scopes have small objective lenses so they do not pick up light very well.
My dad has a Tasco Pro Point on his Ruger .44 and took his deer at 90yds with it

I had to shoot that post off quick because our server had to be rebooted.
Anyway, I have a Tauras Raging Bull in .480. I use open sights only on that. It is the gun I bring deer hunting. I feel confident in a 75yd shot and keep all 5 in 12" at 100.

I agree with yippy, try a scope mounted handgun at your dealers. It is very hard to get a sight picture with eer scopes.Most use a 2x on revolvers(I did).

I have a 1.5-4X on a .454 and a straight 4X on a Buckmark. A number of us hunt deer with handguns. Some use red dots, some scopes, and others use irons. I generally have my scope on 3 or 4 but I shoot regularly so I can acquire the targets fairly quick. I recommend nothing more than 4x on a revolver at the ranges that you will be shooting.

Oooh, sounds like a nice pistol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif! Where'd you get it? Do you like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif? I'd put a variable on it or if you want a fixed, go with a 4X.

I had a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45 colt. First I put a 33mm BSA reddot on it. Very accurate, but after 3 shots, the front lens shattered with my stout hunting loads. Next I tried a Weaver variable scope 2-6 i believe. Very hard for me to hold steady off hand and could not get on target fast enough to make it of any use for me. scopes and pistols just arent for me. If you use a reddot, make sure you get a good one that will hold up to the punishment the 44 will be dealing out.

Had a Super Redhawk with a 4x on it, many years ago. I definitely would not get anything over 4x and expect to achieve a quick site picture. Todd

I agree with most everybody else, you really have to look at the FOV through the pistol scopes. It is a wake up call and I doubt you will want more than 2X unless only shooting from a very good rest.

Jack

I have a S&W 44 mag from the performance center. It has the weaver base molded into the frame and it is ported. I put a Bushnell Holosight on mine and I absolutely love that combination. Fast target acquisition, pretty easy to shoot off-hand and from a rest very accurate. I have shot all types of load through this gun and the sight has not moved 1 minute in 5 years.

Joe

I also use a Holosight on my .22 It is an awesome sight. I put the Holo on my 12ga this winter for night hunting and it worked good. They claim they are shockproof. Very versitle.

Back