Scope and reticle suggestions for long range coyotes?

maverick2

If you coyote aficionados were going to scope a 6.5 Creedmoor to be used 90% for hunting and 10% for paper punching, what would you look for in a scope/reticle combo? Intended game would be deer, coyotes, and wolves, and terrain is extremely varied. The deer here requires quick, short distance shooting in the timber and brush (

Was it your intent to use the reticle for ranging?

I have the VX6 your thinking about and I can tell you its a great scope. I had leupold send me regular MOA dials for mine and I'm real happy with it. I really like the low profile turrets.

Furhunter-did you have to order these from their custom shop and side parallax too or can they just send then out if they have serial numbers
Looks great as you have it set up
I just got one new VXR and the. VX6 is next
Thanks

Originally Posted By: JOKERFurhunter-did you have to order these from their custom shop and side parallax too or can they just send then out if they have serial numbers
Looks great as you have it set up
I just got one new VXR and the. VX6 is next
Thanks

Joker,
That parallax knob is original to the VX-6.

When you buy the scope it should come with a coupon for a free dial. I called them and just asked for a set of MOA dials as I wasn't interested in a dial set up for a particular bullet.

I don't know if they actually had to cut them or if they were in stock but I had them in a couple weeks time.

Here's another pic of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FurhunterWas it your intent to use the reticle for ranging?

I have the VX6 your thinking about and I can tell you its a great scope. I had leupold send me regular MOA dials for mine and I'm real happy with it. I really like the low profile turrets.

No, figured I'd probably use my laser range finder for determining range. I've already got one Zeiss with the Rapid Z Varmint Reticle and really like it, so was prepared to get their new HD5 with the Z-800 reticle. I was impressed enough with the VX6 after looking thru it side-by-side though that I'm re-thinking that a bit. The compact package and low profile turrets of the VX6 are pretty attractive for my hunting use, and the eye relief advantage was noticeable. Big question for me is that of the reticle -- not sure if I want to rely on playing with the turrets for longer range stuff, or stick with my comfort zone and Zeiss' ballistic reticle. Pretty hard to go wrong either way, but thought I'd get some opinions. Thanks for the feedback!

I have a Conquest 4.5-14 with the z800 reticle, and for a time it was my favorite scope. Currently it's getting worked on because it changes poi as the magnification is zoomed. Regardless of that fact, I don't think the z800 reticle will match your 6.5 cm very well, the 800 is designed for very flat cartridges, in the 3200 fps range iirc. In my opinion that really limits it's application.

I've since acquired a 6.5-20 Conquest with target turrets, it's on my 260. I keep a drop chart on the rifle and just dial up moa. I've pretty much been converted from using the various bdc reticles to wanting target style turrets on all my scopes. In fact I'll probably be posting that 4.5-14 up for sale when it comes back.

JMO, but I think you'll be limiting a great rifle with a z800 reticle. Of those two I'd go with the Leupold, but also look at the Zeiss with target turrets.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI have a Conquest 4.5-14 with the z800 reticle, and for a time it was my favorite scope. Currently it's getting worked on because it changes poi as the magnification is zoomed. Regardless of that fact, I don't think the z800 reticle will match your 6.5 cm very well, the 800 is designed for very flat cartridges, in the 3200 fps range iirc. In my opinion that really limits it's application.

I've since acquired a 6.5-20 Conquest with target turrets, it's on my 260. I keep a drop chart on the rifle and just dial up moa. I've pretty much been converted from using the various bdc reticles to wanting target style turrets on all my scopes. In fact I'll probably be posting that 4.5-14 up for sale when it comes back.

JMO, but I think you'll be limiting a great rifle with a z800 reticle. Of those two I'd go with the Leupold, but also look at the Zeiss with target turrets.

The z800 reticle on the previous Conquest line doesn't match the 6.5 CM ballistics very well (nor does the Varmint Z of my 6.5-20x50) but the Z800 of their new HD series mates up extremely well based on the Zeiss ballistic calculator. I had target turrets and a 50 mm objective on the rifle that this one is replacing, and that experience is one of the things leading me this direction. This rifle will see some time in a horse scabbard, and the smaller objective and lower profile turrets are an asset. Those are two of the things that have me looking at the VX6. Any feedback from Zeiss on why the POI is changing with changes in magnification? Isolated instance, or have you heard of this being a common problem? Thanks!

Maverick,

If your using a range finder I don't see any need for a ballistic or mil type reticle. It's pretty easy to make a simple drop chart in MOA and tape it to your scope then use the turrets. It's very easy, fast and extremely accurate. I prefer it to to holdover systems, mills etc...

Originally Posted By: FurhunterMaverick,

If your using a range finder I don't see any need for a ballistic or mil type reticle. It's pretty easy to make a simple drop chart in MOA and tape it to your scope then use the turrets. It's very easy, fast and extremely accurate. I prefer it to to holdover systems, mills etc...

Knowing that -- what's your recommendation on Leupold reticles? for this application

Originally Posted By: maverick2
The z800 reticle on the previous Conquest line doesn't match the 6.5 CM ballistics very well (nor does the Varmint Z of my 6.5-20x50) but the Z800 of their new HD series mates up extremely well based on the Zeiss ballistic calculator. I had target turrets and a 50 mm objective on the rifle that this one is replacing, and that experience is one of the things leading me this direction. This rifle will see some time in a horse scabbard, and the smaller objective and lower profile turrets are an asset. Those are two of the things that have me looking at the VX6. Any feedback from Zeiss on why the POI is changing with changes in magnification? Isolated instance, or have you heard of this being a common problem? Thanks!

I stand corrected if they changed the reticle. Thanks for the info, did not know that.

The guy I talked sounded like he knew what he was talking about, and said he'd worked several places and every manufacturer had occasional problems with poi change. He said swaros, leupolds, etc all can have that problem. He said 1/2 moa would be considered normal. Mine was about 2 moa and he said they'd take care of it. Sounds like they will but it will take a couple months to get it back. That's one thing to consider when comparing to Leupold's service and speed. However, my vx3 doesn't compare to the brightness and constant eye relief that the Conquests have.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterMine has the fine duplex in it.

I'm getting the 3-18x44 right after the new year, and am torn between the fine duplex and the fire dot duplex. I've looked through the fine duplex, but not the other.

So my question...have you looked/hunted with yours in low light/no snow conditions? I'm wondering if the fine duplex is too fine in those conditions? I like to plink at LR as well, so I'm worried about the illuminated reticle being too fat at 12-1400 yards.

Quite the pickle.....

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: FurhunterMine has the fine duplex in it.

I'm getting the 3-18x44 right after the new year, and am torn between the fine duplex and the fire dot duplex. I've looked through the fine duplex, but not the other.

So my question...have you looked/hunted with yours in low light/no snow conditions? I'm wondering if the fine duplex is too fine in those conditions? I like to plink at LR as well, so I'm worried about the illuminated reticle being too fat at 12-1400 yards.

Quite the pickle.....

Yea a pickle for sure. I haven't used the rifle in those conditions to say for sure but I dont think it would be a problem. Pretty subjective though as to what I think would be useable compared to someone else.

I've never looked thru any of the other 6's to see what the other reticles look like. Back when I got mine they had just been released, Midway had them pictured but didn't even have them in stock yet IIRC. There wasn't any at the local Sportsmans or Cabelas yet either.. So I had pretty much ordered it sight unseen. I'm not a fan of heavy duplexes and I didn't need a firedot so the choice was pretty easy.

I called Leupold a while back, and got these figures.

The fine duplex subtends .565" at 100 yards on 3 power, and .094" on 18.

The fire dot duplex subtends 1.474" at 100 on 3 power, and .245" on 18.

They couldn't make the fire dot any smaller due to the logistics of the illumination.

I'm still in a pickle.....

Originally Posted By: alfI called Leupold a while back, and got these figures.

The fine duplex subtends .565" at 100 yards on 3 power, and .094" on 18.

The fire dot duplex subtends 1.474" at 100 on 3 power, and .245" on 18.

They couldn't make the fire dot any smaller due to the logistics of the illumination.

I'm still in a pickle.....

Alf;

I'm curious if you've made any decisions yet, as I've got the same dilemma wanting a reticle that works well for a variety of hunting applications but is not a huge liability for long range plinking at paper. I've got my 6.5 CM in hand now, and am playing with a few of my existing scopes to do some interim swapping so I can chase coyotes and wolves this winter with my new toy while deciding what scope to buy long term for it. Played around with my scopes in mixed light conditions yesterday afternoon and early this AM against varying hunting backdrops, and drew a few conclusions:

(1) Leupold's Target Dot (6x42 Competition Hunter that came on the rifle) isn't going to work for me for anything other than punching paper or shooting against a snowy backdrop. Very, very fine cross-hairs that are difficult to see under the best circumstances. Not ever having picked one up, I was hoping this reticle would be heavy enough to get me thru this winter, but that's not the case -- those cross-hairs disappear when the background begins to vary. This scope is probably going up for sale.

(2) The reticle on Zeiss' 6.5-20x50 Varmint Z is as fine as I'm willing to go for a hunting application. Measuring 0.375" at 100 yds on 6.5x, it's 0.125" on 20x. The latter would work great for me for punching paper, but on 6.5x (simulating what I'm likely to be using in the timber or brush with this scope in marginal light) that 0.375" thickness is probably the bare minimum (and 0.5" would be better). Currently on my varmint rifle, this is the scope I'm going to swap onto the 6.5 CM until the squirrels and rockchucks wake up from their winter nap.

(3) I think Leupold's "Fine Duplex" on the VX6 3-18x44 would work for me as a scope doing double-duty for both hunting and paper-punching. At 0.565" on 3x, and 0.094" on 18x, the cross-hairs should appear bolder than my Zeiss while on 3x (and will probably stand out pretty well in marginal light and lousy backdrops), as well as appear finer for paper punching at the higher magnifications. Given the glass quality in the VX6, I think Leupold's Fine Duplex is probably a pretty good reticle for this application. (That recommendation goes out the window however if your eyes are marginal...)

(4) I'm probably deciding between the Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 w/ Rapid Z 800 reticle, and the Leupold VX6 3-18x44 w/ Fine Duplex reticle. The latter has the better cross-hair dimensions of the two for my wants/needs, but would also require that I become a turret twister for long range stuff. The former matches my rifle/caliber ballistics very well out to 800 yds, and I think Zeiss lens coatings offer an advantage for the weather I'll be using this in. I don't think I can go very far wrong with either, but need some time playing with this rifle to figure out how I really want to use it...

Back