NEW 6x45mm is done,..range reports w/pics

jefo65

Got my barrel from the guys at Gun Clinic in Oklahoma on Friday, thru it all together and set up on the tailgate of the truck Saturday for a few shots to see what this guy is gonna do. Gun did well with 75gr Hornady hp's and Sierra 80gr spitzers using H4895 and IMR 8208 XBR. Able to keep everything inside an inch except the vmax's. Gun absolutely hated 87gr Vmax with those 2 powder choices. I'm not gonna bore everyone with the pictures of all the loads,..gun really shined with the 80gr Sierra on top of 27.0grs of IMR 8208. The pic is of that load with a 4 shot group at 100yds.
Little about the gun now. Couldn't decide on 18" or 20" so I had the guys at Gun Clinic do it at 19" with an .875 diameter 1-8 twist and a mid length gas system. Aero Precision upper and lower, Magpul STR stock, Magpul MOE grip, DPMS float tube, Spikes heavy buffer, Spikes bolt and carrier group, DPMS 2 stage trigger (trigger was another pleasent surprise for 85.00) along with most of the other small parts being DPMS also. Glass is a Weaver V-Classic 6-24x42. Really got surprised with the velocity I got with the 80gr bullets too.

20131215_180139.jpg

20131215_180339.jpg

20131214_151346.jpg

20131215_122033.jpg

Last edited:
I have had great luck with 8208 in the 6x45. That's a good looking rifle there. I like the stock...those angles make for a good cheek weld.

I like your 'compromise' of a 19" barrel...just unique and cool, IMO. And it seems you have plenty of speed from those 80's. That should be a perfect varmint to predator to deer load. I'd not change a thing with it.

Originally Posted By: 5spdNice target group.
Why such a heavy barrel though.
My own 6x45 is 1/10 & shoots all bullets great.

pahntr760 nailed it,..unique and cool! Wasn't too worried about having a barrel that shot everything good,...wanted a barrel that once ya found the sweet spot,..shot ridiculous good,..think I found that out yesterday!

Very nice indeed my man! There is nothing in this firearm world that gives you bliss like hitting a load recipe 1st time out.

Nice rifle, but I have a question that I got to thinking about the other day? Before I ask it just to let you know, I have a 6x45. The question is what makes a 6x45 any better than a .223? The velocities are about the same. I like mine don't get me wrong but wondering why one over the other, unless your like me and have both. I do know it's a pain in the behind keeping up with two loads with the same size cases. Easy to get them mixxed up.

Nice build and it appears to shoot well to boot!

I know its just 3 shots but a ES of 3 is outstanding for a gas gun,,,heck even a bolt gun.Congrats on the fine load.

Originally Posted By: centerfire_223Nice rifle, but I have a question that I got to thinking about the other day? Before I ask it just to let you know, I have a 6x45. The question is what makes a 6x45 any better than a .223? The velocities are about the same. I like mine don't get me wrong but wondering why one over the other, unless your like me and have both. I do know it's a pain in the behind keeping up with two loads with the same size cases. Easy to get them mixxed up.

Personally I don't think one is better then the other,..the ability to shoot a little heavier bullets is about it. I have 3 others in .223, 2 others in .204 and now the 6x45 has joined the AR family. Thinking 17 Tactical next,....why? Cause I don't have one yet! That's usually the driving factor for me.

Very nice rifle and shooting! That is fast for the 80g bullets-would ruin a coyote's day. And deer too. I am very new to the 6x45 world but it puts a bigger whack on game/predators imo because of the bigger and heavier bullets when compared to the .223. Yeah you give up some velocity but the trajectory isn't degraded practically at typical game ranges. Plus it uses the same bolt, brass, and mags of the ubiquitous .223 AR.

And it is legal in states that have a 6mm limit on big game. I think it hits harder and I think in my opinion it is easier on the gun running the 55's because of less pressure. And theoretically should be easier on the barrel. And I believe it's more efficient too

Originally Posted By: Field MedicWhich 80g Sierra bullet are you using with the 8208 powder? Great looking gun!!

I'm using the Sierra 1515 .243 (6mm) 80gr SBT Blitz

Originally Posted By: centerfire_223Nice rifle, but I have a question that I got to thinking about the other day? Before I ask it just to let you know, I have a 6x45. The question is what makes a 6x45 any better than a .223? The velocities are about the same. I like mine don't get me wrong but wondering why one over the other, unless your like me and have both. I do know it's a pain in the behind keeping up with two loads with the same size cases. Easy to get them mixxed up.

Ronnie , If keeping the brass seperate is causing you problems I can help. I an currently in the market for another complete upper. I might be able to take one off your hands .

Back