22-250 1 in 14 twist bullets

MJS1977

I'm new to reloading, haven't even started yet since i'm gathering my components, but i have a question for the 22-250 guys out there.

I've done a lot of reading and have written down a lot of info to aid in my reloading.

I have a winchester model 70 coyote light with a 1 in 14 twist. For the last 2 years i've been shooting hornady superformance varmint 50gr v max factory loads and it shoots good but i want to start reloading for my rifles.

I mostly shoot groundhogs out to 300 yards or maybe a tad longer occasionally. I've read with a slow twist that anything heavier than 55 will not stabilize well enought. I plan on shooting Nosler ballistic tips but i'm not sure if i should shoot 40gr, 45gr or 50gr bullets.

Which gr bullet shoot i purchase to begin working up loads suited for my needs?

I would start with the same grain bullet that you have been using. Heavier bullets usually get more stability but slower speeds. You could try lighter weight as an experiment, but the wind may have much more effect on them. There are so many choices depending upon your needs with a 22 cal bullet. Get a good reloading manual and look at the ballistics, see which one looks like the best for your needs. Then, this is where it gets interesting. See what Powder, primer, projectile works the best. This is where the "reloading" makes it more expensive. Good luck.

I have a 14 twist R700 as well. I'm burning up a couple hundred rounds of white box factory loads so I have a supply of once fired formed brass but did lots of research on which bullet would be a best bet. I found that ballistics wise, the 50gr Sierra Blitzking will have the least drop over about 350yds. I couldn't source any of the SBKs, but did get ahold of some 50gr Vmax that are nearly the same. The lighter 40 and 45 gr bullets frequently don't have a boat tail so their BC is pretty low, among other reasons. I was initially going to try to scream 40s around 4000fps, but discovered after 300yds they drop like a brick. At 400yds the slower 50gr dropped like 20" less in a ballistic calculator. Those are exact numbers as my memory isn't perfect, but it was something close to that.

Originally Posted By: MJS1977I'm new to reloading, haven't even started yet since I'm gathering my components, but I have a question for the 22-250 guys out there.

I've done a lot of reading and have written down a lot of info to aid in my reloading.

I have a Winchester model 70 coyote light with a 1 in 14 twist. For the last 2 years I've been shooting Hornady Superformance varmint 50gr v max factory loads and it shoots good but I want to start reloading for my rifles.

I mostly shoot groundhogs out to 300 yards or maybe a tad longer occasionally. I've read with a slow twist that anything heavier than 55 will not stabilize well enough. I plan on shooting Nosler ballistic tips but I'm not sure if i should shoot 40gr, 45gr or 50gr bullets.

Which gr bullet shoot I purchase to begin working up loads suited for my needs?

Forget the 40 and 45 grain bullets - they sound fast but punk out really fast.

Any 50gr bullet will shoot fine.

With the 55 grain bullets, all the lead tipped soft points, and all the hollow points will shoot fine... but with the 55 grain plastic tipped bullets, you will need to shoot them hard to get the spin rate up there, otherwise, they may shoot poorly.

The Nosler 55 BT-V is a good choice as it is a bit shorter than the Sierra BK.

55Nbt shot pretty decent out of one of my 14twist. 60Gr sierra hp will stabilize in a 14 twist as well but it doesnt flip pdogs for me like the poly tipped.

Originally Posted By: goose_boyI have a 14 twist R700 as well. I'm burning up a couple hundred rounds of white box factory loads so I have a supply of once fired formed brass but did lots of research on which bullet would be a best bet. I found that ballistics wise, the 50gr Sierra Blitzking will have the least drop over about 350yds. I couldn't source any of the SBKs, but did get ahold of some 50gr Vmax that are nearly the same. The lighter 40 and 45 gr bullets frequently don't have a boat tail so their BC is pretty low, among other reasons. I was initially going to try to scream 40s around 4000fps, but discovered after 300yds they drop like a brick. At 400yds the slower 50gr dropped like 20" less in a ballistic calculator. Those are exact numbers as my memory isn't perfect, but it was something close to that.

Goose boy, how is that brass looking? I've accumulated a little over a hundred cases from the white box loads but noticed alot of em had split necks. I was kinda Leary about loading em, especially since I've got a lot of new and once fired Remington cases as well.

I'm planning on loading up 50 gr nosler btips once I've shot my factory stuff. Hornady 55 vmax factory loads don't shoot well but Remington 55 gr psp's do. My rifle is a ruger 77 tang safety heavy barrel with 1-14 twist.

Dan, the Win brass looks great so far. Haven't see any split necks. Did have one factory round that apparently had a long neck, I had to pull the bullet, trim it back and reseat the bullet to get it to chamber. I am heavily thinking about building an annealing machine and running the batch through first for more uniform neck tension, but that would hopefully prevent split necks as well. After this brass is fire formed I will be neck sizing only.

My old rifle shot the cheapo 55gr Hornady sxsp bullets rediculously accurate at book length and 35.5 gr Varget. Don't think that was a max or close to it but I couldn't make it shoot better than it did right there

Originally Posted By: borkon1-14 twist may be good for up too a 55 flat based bullet but may not work for a 55 boat tail. my experience is different. i have shot 55 boatail, 60 grain nosler partition , balistic tip and horn 60 hp, and sierra 63 semi pointed. all shot good in my remington 700 vssf.

Try the flat base bullets in 55 gr. My 1@14 twist won't shoot a 55 gr nosler BT. It will shoot a Sierra 55 gr BT HP . I was having the same trouble called Sierra talked to a tech guy he had the same gun as me and trouble. So he told me what bullets to try. My gun loves the 50 gr v max.

Originally Posted By: ig2553 smk 1/4" group all day long

10-4 on the 53 Sierra. Never had a 22-250 that wouldn't shoot them with some H414.

Originally Posted By: Scott H.Originally Posted By: ig2553 smk 1/4" group all day long

10-4 on the 53 Sierra. Never had a 22-250 that wouldn't shoot them with some H414.

I use 8208 XBR

I have the same 22-250 you are shooting. It really likes the 45gr white box stuff and the best handloads are with the 50 grain V-max. It will occasionally shoot the 55 grain bullets but the 45s and 50s are best in mine.

-BANDIT

Back