Californian parent problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to group up and become independent your 23. If you won't your rifle back then by God get your rifle back. I'm sorry if that is insensitive Anna. Don't be pushed around.

ok, before I go off on a rant, was the gun bought with your own money(from working) or was it bought essentially by your parents? If bought by money given to you then as a life lesson you may have to agree to sell it to make the fam happy. Then regroup, get a job(s), decide what it is you want to do and go from there. If it involves being a gun owner then everything from that point on is up to Anna.

Originally Posted By: Eric_Mayer

Your parents support you. You don't want to lose that support, so you are not going to call the police, etc to get your firearm back. You believe that you can sweet talk your parents into giving you the rifle back, as you have done many times before. You may have done some irresponsible things in the past that concern your parents. You probably live in Boulder.
I was not going to jump in with an answer but you are pretty darn close and she stated that fact afterwards so I am compelled to say yes they are the bank/total support for her right now and that's a factor she IMO is not willing to lose right now. She is on a job search as well for those who say get a job. That's what I gather.

Anna...

Their supporting you, is the making of your own prison.

Get a job and become free to make your own decisions.

My only question is where do you sign up to be a life coach. What's the pay? Sounds like a pretty good gig to me.

Take your balls out of your mom's purse and your dad's wallet. Then grow up, because you haven't yet despite your hovering parents.

Anna, I think I know how you feel. You know that what they are doing is wrong, but you don't want to start anything for fear it will drive them out of your life. You want them in your life, we all want our parents in our life.. but there comes a point where you need to stand up and say "hey, I'm an adult". The time is now.

First, realize that you have no obligation to your "life coach". Your parents hired him, big whoop.. doesn't mean he has any legal control over you.

This is what I would do.

1st. I would call your "life coach" and tell him he crossed a line. Tell him to give the weapon back right now. If he says no like it seems he has, go on to #2.
2nd. I would go to your local police station and tell them what happened, that your parents hired a guy to keep track of you and that he took your weapon against your will. Ask that an officer accompany you to get your weapon back and that you do not want to press charges unless he won't give it back. If he does not give it to the officer, who will then check the #'s and give it to you, then he will be going to jail on a federal charge of theft of a firearm.
3rd. I would then call your parents after this has taken place, not before, and tell them that you got your weapon back and that they have no control over what you buy. If they say they do, then remind them that your life coach is sitting on a 10 year sentence for a federal offense.

Its time to grow some balls, you can't go through life trying to get your parent's approval. Cut the cord. It's not what you wanted to hear, but its the truth. Life goes on, you will make it through this.

I just read the reply that you are supported by your parents still and don't want to lose that. Well you are going to either have to give up your ways and live like a 12 year old your whole life, or go get a job and start supporting yourself. You already moved out, that's the first step. Now go get a job somewhere, any job, anywhere.. and start making some money. Start saving up and work your way into a better job until you can fully support yourself.

If you bought the rifle with your parent's money then its their rifle. They can take it away if they want. That's how I see it.

As a budding taxidermist in Colorado, you should do fine without your parents bankroll soon enough. Be free!!! Get us a link so we can see your work.
There are a few counties here though that you won't get as much business as most of the others.

I am kind of thinking that maybe if Anna is the kind of 23 year old that parents would be compelled to hire a life coach for, that it could be a possibility that she might not be responsible enough to have a firearm? I am going out on a limb by reading between the lines, but I think there could be some Adam Lanza serious problems here. I would like to hear from the parents and not have half the story and go making suggestions on how this person can re-arm themselves. It all sounds a little whacky to me and I feel that we have been baited in to a predictable reaction and sought after agreement and confirmation that she is right and the parents are wrong. Say they are anti-gun and we all get our panties in a wad. Just some observations and I could be way off base.

Originally Posted By: Anna@eric_mayer your psychic, dead correct on the whole paragraph. Ill try your advise.
smile.gif
. Sweet talking usually doesn't work with them and they are additionally irritated by some over spending on credit cards.

I like the idea about trying to prove that I'm a safe firearms owner. I did pass hunters ed and have the little orange card from that. I wish It wasn't a two hour drive to the range though, that might make it a bit difficult to show my competency.

Well....... I don't want to throw any kinks into things here, but;

1.) You're living on Mom and Dad's dime.
2.) You're over-spending on Mom and Dad's credit card.
3.) You have bought a rifle that Mom and Dad don't approve of.

Just a shot in the dark here but, the rifle wouldn't happen to be what you purchased that caused the over-spending on the credit card thingy would it?

The fact that you're 23, living on their dime, and they have hired a "Life Coach", tells me your parents are liberals. The fact that "they don't approve of the gun" almost told me they were liberals, until you threw the credit card situation into this scenario.

-- If as I'm guessing, you probably went out and bought "The Gun" on their credit card, they probably have a right to tell your life coach to take the gun.
-- If you didn't buy the gun on their credit card; why are you living, (and over-spending), on their credit card, if you can afford to buy "The Gun"??
-- The fact that you're on here whining to a bunch of conservative gun nuts about your "Helicopter Parents" ordering your "Life Coach" to take "The Gun", when you only have 19 posts, and 7 of them are in this thread at time of this post, leads me to believe that Heretic is probably calling this one right.

-- If not... it's very likely that you have already proved yourself irresponsible in purchase of the weapon, when your parents are supporting you, especially if purchasing the weapon is in any way related to the over-spending on the credit card. Which the fact that your "Helicopter Parents" asked your "Life Coach" to take the gun at all, is indicative that that may be the case.

Does your life coach hold your balls. This is beyond stupid It's silly. My parents had no such hold on me and since my graduate studies were in the school of hard knocks I cannot comprehend.

I didn't get very far into the replys. But the only reason to let you parents hire a life coach to watch after you is that they are loaded and you enjoy the fruits of their labor

It's what you signed up for. Why [beeep]?

I'm Moving this the the Club House since it has evolved into more of a not-firearms discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back