Savage Model 12

I have had a 12 BVSS for a long time in 223. I sold the "2x4" stock off and bought a Boyds Varmint stock. Had Fred put in a 8oz trigger and a single shot block. I load 45gr pills @ 3800fps. Great rifle. Mine came in a roll around hard case and a 6x18 Burris scope. You will have fun with yours.

I have a Model 12 LRP in a .243 with a Vortex Viper 6-20x40 and it has the HS Precision stock and a dbm. It has the varmint accutrigger set at 12 oz and feels like a quality product. I have no doubt that it will likely be the most accurate rifle that I own. I am going to run either 87 grain Vmax or 95 grain Berger Hunter VLD'S. I also have some 85 grain Sierra BTHP's that I might want to try. I will be running either H4350, Varget, or Rl15.

Buy a savage short action,stock of your liking, action wrench,nut wrench, semi custom barrel in the caliber and brand you desire and finally a head space gauge. You will end up with a much better gun and its super easy to assemble. The cost is a little more but the gun over all will be a much better shooter in the end. I have put a few together and have been more than happy with the results. Here is my latest build. Its a 12 target action, 26" shilen select match 1:8 twist chambered in 22-250. I shoot the 75 grain Amax.

Here are the results at 100 yds.

I have the VLP in .223. It is everything everybody says. Heavy, and extremely accurate. I went calling with it once and bought a Tikka when I got home.
I will never get rid of that savage, it is stupid accurate.

Savage model 12FV 8.5lbs. Use a quality, light-weight, lower power optic for walking/calling, and a quality higher-power optic for long distance varmint shooting. Like anything else, don't load it down and it will handle better.

I used to have a 12 BVSS in 22-250. Very nice gun that shot inside of 1/2" easily. Had I not built a custom rig in .204, I would have got an LRPV. For a factory p-dog rig, this would have been my choice hands down.

Forgot I had some old targets from that rig!

Last edited:
Back