Californian parent problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto Widowmakers comment. He had no legal right to take it whatever PC Kalifornia name he is called. Get it back, and put it in a safe where it should be and tell him to P@ss off.

Go watch the "Girl with the dragoon tattoo" trilogy, watch the Swedish version dubbed in English.

Call the 'life coach'( what a crock of BS) and inform him your next call is to the police to report him for stealing your firearm! This is assuming that you can legally own firearms and your parents don't have some sort of restraining order or such. Stand up for yourself; your parents need to get a life.

Anna

Listen carefully then exercise this information any way you would like.

It sounds as if your the full and legal owner of the rifle. Did you do the form 4473 amd do a background check when you purchased it?

If you did...

As of July 1st in the state of Colorado there must be a background check done on all private transfers, no exceptions for anything. If that rifle is yours like you state, he right now is in illegal possession of said rifle and BOTH OF YOUR ASSES ARE ON THE LINE FOR BREAKING THE LAW.

Call your "life coach" and tell him to bring your rifle back before the sun sets tonight or your going to call the local law enforcement agent and report him for theft and or at the least... illegal transfer.

Then tell him to FO and just simply refuse to speak with him again.

Stand erect, square those shoulders and get your property back. Don't waste a bunch of time doing it.

My parents agreed to negotiate... The life coach said he would gladly give the rifle back if I can get my parents to say okay. Hopefully I can get it back by the time i have scheduled to go hunting in January.

Edit: ill see what I can do about the 4473. I don't want to get in trouble with the law for my stupid douchebag parents being controlling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AnnaOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: AnnaHe's a person my parents pay to look after me since they live in a different state; ie california. i don't want to get the authorities involved I don't want this to be a stink big enough to cause a rift in my relationship with my parents.

Look, Anna...

There is already a "rift" between you and your parents, and until you take charge of your life, they will control you forever.

Are you under a court order, or has some court assigned this "life coach" control over your life?

If not, then you need to bring this to a stop, or your life coach will be controlling you until your parents stop paying him (which might not be for a long time).

If you are an independent, legal adult, then your "life coach" can advise you, but cannot make you do anything.

How did Mr. Life Coach get your rifle in the first place. Tell him to return your property, and then refuse to talk to him anymore.

I am a legal adult and I have never been to court or had any charges against me or such forth. Ill see what I can do about getting him to give it back. I guess I need to show some teeth in the matter and stop being so meek. The life coach is mostly because my parents like to hover like a stinken helicopter over my life. There is a term for controlling parents "helicopter parents".

The life coach came over to my house to check on me as he does once a week. He told me that my mom had told him to take the rifle, he picked it up out of my pelican case, put it in a soft case and left with it. I told him I'd really prefer he didn't take it and he still took it since my mom had ordered him to do so.

I'm trying to get him to pick up his phone so I can demand he returns it or legal action will be taken. Additionally I'm trying to get my mom on the phone to see if I can calmly negotiate her allowing me to have my gun back. It's all a big pain in the neck.

I need to get some gun rights memberships. I have bow hunting/archery memberships, since my folks are fine with archery, but don't like guns.

Good evening Anna...

"I need to get some gun rights memberships."...

... you have the biggest gun rights membership in the world.

It is the LAW, which is on your side.

Call your "Life Coach", and tell him that if he does not return your property within 24 hours, you will file criminal charges against him. Remind him that taking a firearm without permission (theft) is a federal crime.

When he returns your rifle, tell him, "You're fired!"

Your parents may be "helicopter parents", but YOU are the one in power.

When they call next, tell them if they interfere with your life any further, that you can fire them too.

Originally Posted By: AnnaMy parents agreed to negotiate... The life coach said he would gladly give the rifle back if I can get my parents to say okay. Hopefully I can get it back by the time i have scheduled to go hunting in January.

Edit: ill see what I can do about the 4473. I don't want to get in trouble with the law for my stupid douchebag parents being controlling.
Everyone here has pretty much stated what I said to you already earlier.
He took the items without your permission, no matter the parents he is liable for theft of your personal property.

Anna, Your "Life Coach" has nothing to do with the situation, other than illegally taking your property....If he's a Certified Psychologist, you need to not only call the local LEOs, but also file a written complaint with the State Board of Professional Registration...He'a apparently under their employ and not yours..So you are not his patient if no court order requiring it exists...

As to your parents, until you stand up for yourself, they will have no respect for you as an individual...While they may not like the situation, in most states, once you attain the age of 18, you are an Emancipated Individual, especially if you are not living under their roof...Their likes and dislikes don't really count if you are doing nothing illegal that would endanger your personal welfare or that of others...Owning a firearm does not qualify....

As to the so called "Negotiations", while I appreciate your desire to maintain a relationship, their continual hovering over your life is not healthy for either of you...I'm surprised that your "Life Coach" hasn't pointed this out to you...He sounds like a shyster to me...

Originally Posted By: AnnaMy parents agreed to negotiate... The life coach said he would gladly give the rifle back if I can get my parents to say okay. Hopefully I can get it back by the time i have scheduled to go hunting in January.

Anna,
Your parents don't have to agree to anything its not their choice, they have no say. really its between you, cockroach of a coach and Colorado state law.

Call your coach and repeat this line.

"You must return my property or I will call the law and report you for theft and possession of a firearm for which you didn't pass a background check to recieve, which is against the law in Colorado as of July 1st 2013."

He has to return it or face charges and ultimatly... possible loss of his own firearms..

You have him by the balls right now, all you have to do is squeeze a little and it will come to a quick end.

This can't be real a 23yr old that needs someone to look after them? Either way call the cops on the life coach for stealing your property if not go ahead and just pack your crap and move back home with your parents.

Seriously, illegal transfer. He stole your gun and didn't have a background check. He is the next mass shooter. Get your gun back before he uses it to commit a crime.

Everyone is spot on here. YOU have every right to own and possess YOUR rifle. They are in possession of your property.

Your hesitation to stand up for yourself tells me you are either too meek (your words) or they have something else over your head. Are they supporting you? Paying your bills? Paying for your school? Something they would cut off if you cause a "rift"?

Get your Pelican case too, those aren't cheap.

Last edited:
This is really odd, but being from California, I think I can decipher some of it. "Anna", please correct me if I'm wrong...

Your parents support you. You don't want to lose that support, so you are not going to call the police, etc to get your firearm back. You believe that you can sweet talk your parents into giving you the rifle back, as you have done many times before. You may have done some irresponsible things in the past that concern your parents. You probably live in Boulder.

Again, if I am wrong on any of the above, please let me know and I apologize.

If I am correct and a confrontation with your parents is inevitable, try going about it in a way that will show your parents that you are responsible enough to own a firearm. If I were you I would take a hunter's education course (try to pass it with a perfect score). Next, I would educate myself on gun safety beyond what the hunter's ed course required. Lastly, I would ask my "Life Coach" to take me shooting a few times, to show him (and by proxy, your parents) that you are a responsible gun owner (you said he had a gun safe, so I assume he is a shooter).

That will probably help out immensely to resolve this issue.

Eric

Originally Posted By: HereticThe cynic in me says this is a bogus thread.
I think MANY of us think that, but I hope not.

Eric

@eric_mayer your psychic, dead correct on the whole paragraph. Ill try your advise.
smile.gif
. Sweet talking usually doesn't work with them and they are additionally irritated by some over spending on credit cards.

I like the idea about trying to prove that I'm a safe firearms owner. I did pass hunters ed and have the little orange card from that. I wish It wasn't a two hour drive to the range though, that might make it a bit difficult to show my competency.

Originally Posted By: Anna@eric_mayer your psychic, dead correct on the whole paragraph. Ill try your advise.
smile.gif
. Sweet talking usually doesn't work with them and they are additionally irritated by some over spending on credit cards.

I like the idea about trying to prove that I'm a safe firearms owner. I did pass hunters ed and have the little orange card from that. I wish It wasn't a two hour drive to the range though, that might make it a bit difficult to show my competency.

Try it. It would work on me if I was a parent in the same situation.

Good luck!

Eric

Hit you life coach in the mouth with the butt of your rifle. A first step towards growing up. If you are being supported by your parents...you are 23....and asking to be ruled over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back