Generator questions...

tacky06

I am in the market for a generator to power my hunting camp and occasionally my camper. I would like an inverter type and around 3000watts of power. Although Honda and Yamaha seem to be the premier brands they are out of my price range, even used. What other brands out there would give me good quality and reliability without breaking the bank?

There is a reason Honda and Yamaha are priced higher, besides reliability, consider noise, clean electricity without spikes and browning as well. Onan is another good brand. Otherwise, just buy the cheapest you can find and move it far enough away that it becomes as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha.

That new Champion, made in a Chinese plant owned by Americans at Champion, is a nice unit. Quiet, dependable and the price is right. While I don't own one, I did hear one run recently and thought wow. I do own two generators (5500 and a 7000 watt unit - running watts not peak). Make sure to leave the ethanol out of the unit and use a gas stabilizer. I run premium, no ethanol and use Seafoam in my units. One is at each house (hunting / fishing house and main house).

hey tacky06, I've been through a few generators and I am EXTREMELY biased on this issue! Save your money for the Honda and you won't regret it! maybe u could find a used one. They start like a dream, even after 5 years. I was the first in my group with the eu2000, and now 6 different people in my group have them as well. they are also very very quiet. I found mine online for 950ish and free shipping (and no tax). it will also run all day on 1 gallon of gas.

oh yeah, are u thinking 3000 watts because of an air conditioner? otherwise the 2000 will handle everything and it is way smaller/lighter.

Well, I went out and bought a new generator. It is a Dometic brand, same company that builds camper components. It is rated at 3000 watts and is supposed to be able to run an AC unit. It is only 1 decibel louder than the Honda and seems like a decent unit. I guess time will tell. Thanks to all who gave me info and advice.

When I was generator shopping several years ago I had the idea of just going with the Honda EU3000 instead of having to buy 2 of the EU2000's for my travel trailer, I was about to pay for the 3000 when the guy at the honda shop happened to mention, that a EU3000 doesent have enough AMPs to "START" a Roof Top AC Unit on a camper (13,500 BTU & up) 3500 cranking amps are needed to start them properly, yes they can start on less but you end up messing the AC's up by doing so.

So I ended up buying a pair of the EU2000's off Craigslist from a retired couple, who decided they weren't gonna camp anywhere that didn't have full hookups. So I ended up with a pair with the parallel option for $1750 oh yeah they had been run 2 or 3 times for a couple hours.

Plus when I only need a little power I only run one & they are only 50 something pounds each so they are fairly easy to move around, Yes I do carry one in each hand & its a little awkward but definitely easier than lifting a 70 or 80 lbs. genny out of the bed of the truck every time I need it.

Lee

Quote: There is a reason Honda and Yamaha are priced higher, besides reliability, consider noise
Noise is a big one for me.
Might try generac
Generac
Maybe buy separate inverter to meet specific needs.

Originally Posted By: BPSWhen I was generator shopping several years ago I had the idea of just going with the Honda EU3000 instead of having to buy 2 of the EU2000's for my travel trailer, I was about to pay for the 3000 when the guy at the honda shop happened to mention, that a EU3000 doesent have enough AMPs to "START" a Roof Top AC Unit on a camper (13,500 BTU & up) 3500 cranking amps are needed to start them properly, yes they can start on less but you end up messing the AC's up by doing so.

So I ended up buying a pair of the EU2000's off Craigslist from a retired couple, who decided they weren't gonna camp anywhere that didn't have full hookups. So I ended up with a pair with the parallel option for $1750 oh yeah they had been run 2 or 3 times for a couple hours.

Plus when I only need a little power I only run one & they are only 50 something pounds each so they are fairly easy to move around, Yes I do carry one in each hand & its a little awkward but definitely easier than lifting a 70 or 80 lbs. genny out of the bed of the truck every time I need it.

Lee

X2 I was a rv tech and a onan generator tech for several years. I would recommend at the very least a 3500 watt generator to run a camper with a a/c safely. They dont take a lot of power to run but takes alot of starting amps. And if you have say microwave and refer running on electric and go to start the a/c it could burn alot up in your a/c.

Back