Want to try my hand at trapping

07yzrysder

So ive been hunting the animals lately and want to try my hand at trapping yotes and cats mainly. Im looking at the mb550 but wanted to get some input on offset vs not and 2 vs 4 coil springs.

Also what bait do you typical use and if you dont mind (ill be digging through the threads when i get off) a little info on typical setups and how to anchor your traps.

Also i noticed that there is a trap registration number but it says no required in the NDOW regulations. Can anyone in the NV area shed some light as to if my traps need to be marked in any way?

Thank you
Robert

sorry also noticed this in the regs. How can i modify the traps so they stay open the required amount? Since it is cast i dont think i can weld it.

All steel leg hold traps of size number 2 or larger or with an outside jaw spread of 5 1/2 inches or larger used in the taking of any wildlife must have lugs, spacers or similar devices permanently attached so as to maintain a minimum trap opening of three-sixteenths (3/16”) of an inch.

MB550 2 coils offset is all I run. The offset jaws on these trap are the legal spacing for NV. Definitely a top notch trap for whatever it is that you want to trap from fox,coyotes and cats. There is no special lure or bait but some that work better then others. Get on fntpost.com and look up O'Gorman lures. I have had good luck with the LDC.

Can you confirm that the paste type lures in a hole is legal in nv? I got a faux fuy hat i plan on chopping up and adding the lures to then placing them down the hole.

Originally Posted By: mtbadger07 you can wrap some #9 wire around the jaws to make them offset.

No you can not in NV. Must be perminant... Welded.

Originally Posted By: 07yzrysderCan you confirm that the paste type lures in a hole is legal in nv? I got a faux fuy hat i plan on chopping up and adding the lures to then placing them down the hole.

Yes the paste bait is legal. It can now been seen at all from any angel though. I make deep dirt holes and use a lot of powder river paste bait and then put grass in the hole so that the bait can not be seen at all.

the hat wont last long get some sheep wool $2 a bag have fun you will learn lots and be a better caller in the end due to your attention to location

Back