Lee Collet Die Question?

MarkA

Just got my reloading going.
1. Press: RCBS RC Supreme
2. Caliber: 223 Rem
3. Die Make: Lee
4. Type Die: Collet

Was told to 'Neck Size' and use collet die. Problem, Lee instructions say if you do not have Lee Press or other brands that toggle or snap over center to screw die in two turns.

Is an RCBS on of those, it is of course not a Lee?

It says I will feel the primer being extracted and then should feel the collet closing and the neck being sized.

I feel and see the primer extraction, what is the 'feel' of the collet closing and the neck being sized?

Please Help! Done only 25 cases, do want to do more until I know if I am doing it correctly.

I can't give you a for sure answer, since I don't use a Lee press, but I do use Lee Collet Neck Sizing dies. Try this...

Take a bullet and insert it by hand point first into an unsized case. Wiggle it around gently, to get the feel of how the round wobbles in an unsized case. Now, take this case and run it through your neck sizing die. (Hint, run it through, rotate the case 180 degrees, and cycle it again. This provides a very round case neck). After you've done this, try the bullet in the case neck again. You should feel a difference.

If absolutely necessary, slightly "ding" a case neck, then run it through your sizer and check for bullet fit.

Hope this helps.

Mike

i personally don,t like lee anything so my best advice is put the lee dies on a shelf and go get rcbs,redding,etc dies they are easier and better just my opinion!

Lee works fine for me. It's the whole Chevy vs Ford or the 270 versus the .30-06 argument. I would stick with the Lee if it works.

As far as the collet die, try it once according to minimum turns in. If it works great. If not try it two turns in.
If your bullets fit snug and real tight then I would say you have it. Load up a dummy round and chamber it and find out.

My Rock Chucker toggles over if that helps. Never used a collet die yet but I do like the Redding bushing dies. For my cast bullets I have the Lee die for opening up case with different inserts for all the calibers I shoot and it's on sale at Midway for $8. Works great for my .41 mag. 7br and 300 Whisper.

The Lee collet dies are a very good investment and do a very nice job of neck sizing casings. They accomplish the neck sizing without requiring you to lube the inside or outside of the casings. That alone, is worth a GREAT deal to me. No lube = no requirement to remove lube!!! My personal experience with these Lee collet dies has been nothing but positive. Lee collet dies don't have the appeal that a die with the name "Redding" has, but they do a worthy job of neck sizing. JMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Lee Precision has some very good information on their Web site about the collet dies and adjusting them. Your RCBS press is one that toggles over the center at the top of the ram stroke. Here is some of the information from the Lee Precision Web site. I just copied and pasted it here:

Collet Die adjustment

If you are using the Collet die in an RCBS Rockchucker press, or a similar design that toggles over center at the top of the (ram) stroke, this applies far greater force than is necessary to resize just the neck of the case, and can damage the die or collapse the case. To correct this situation, adjust the die two full turns into the press after the die contacts the shell holder with the ram at the top of its stroke, rather than one as in the instructions. This will stop the press before it gets to the toggle over point. With a press without having an over center feature, apply about 25 lbs. of pressure to the handle once it bottoms out to resize the case. On most presses, this translates to over 600 lbs of pressure on the ram.

The collet might be stuck in the closed position from closing the die without a case inside. Remove the cap from the top of the Collet die and push the mandrel, collet sleeve and collet out through the top of the die. Open the collet back up with a tapered punch or Phillips screwdriver.

If this occurs with a full length sizing die, the decapper/expander is out of adjustment. The decapper/expander should be flush with the top of the decapper clamp. If it protrudes more than 1/4 inch, the die will be resizing the inside and outside diameter of the case neck at the same time, resulting in a collapsed case shoulder.

Collet Die explanation

The Collet neck sizing die is superior to the competition's neck sizing die design because it squeezes the neck against a mandrel. This results in very uniform case mouth inner diameter, regardless of case wall thickness.

With bushing-type neck sizing dies, one has to select (and usually purchase) the appropriate bushing to get the desired case mouth inner diameter. Uniform case mouth inner diameter gives uniform bullet pull, and as you know, uniformity is what accurate ammunition is all about.

The Collet die set also includes what we call the "dead length" bullet seating die. This die is set up like a full length sizing die, in that one adjusts the die down so that the shell holder presses against the bottom of the die when the ram is at the top of its stroke. This pressure removes any clearance between the shell holder and ram, lever linkage, die threads and press frame, etc. and results in a more uniform bullet seating depth. Note that there is no provision for crimping in this die.

Collet die pressure exertion

All of the sizing in the Collet die takes place at the very end of the stroke, when the ram/shell holder appears to bottom out against the base of the die. If you lean into the handle at this point, you will force the collet up into the die body, and cause the collet to squeeze the case neck down against the mandrel (the very end of which pops out the spent primer). About 25 lbs. of force is sufficient to resize most cases. If you are sitting in front of your press, just leaning your upper body weight into the lever is about right.

A good way to determine how much is necessary is to start the case into the die and feel the die remove the primer. Start using pressure and work up to what you think is about 25 lbs. Remove the case from the die and attempt to place the intended bullet in the case neck. If there is little or no resistance, repeat the process with slightly more pressure. When you have reached a point where there are vertical striation marks on the outside of the case neck or the intended bullet does not fit easily into the case neck, the correct amount of pressure has been achieved.

You would also be advised to clean up the rough edges on the inside of the collet fingers and do a wee bit of polishing of the collar that squeezes the collet shut and also polish the nose of the collet that fits into the collar. Then, apply a small amount of good gun grease to the collar that the collet nose squeezes into.

Collet_with_text.jpg

DO NOT EVER run the ram of your press up into the collet die without a casing in the shell holder. You run the risk of locking the collet fingers onto the mandrel!!! Then, the next time you run a casing up into the die, your casings will look like those in the photo posted below. Don't ask me how I know or where I got these photos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Casings40.jpg

Hey Mark, I'm happy to be of service!!! Hope you get the die adjusted. I have Lee collet dies for every caliber I reload for except the .204 Ruger. I'd have to order that one custom built as they don't make them as a stock item.

Foxy: Hate, HATE! to admit this but I BROKE IT! Advice on another forum was to try it w/ just ONE turn, did that, pushed down and something SNAPPED, ordered a new one from Midway.

How ya doin', has the snow melted? Will be contacting you soon about the 204 reloads, I am finally ready to get started!

I used a lee collet die for reloading a 222. well being the neanderthal that I am I put to much pressure on the die and it broke all to heck, I really leaned into it. I will try it again when they start making them for the 204 and I will use as Silverfox told me "just a wee bit of pressure".

As Howler and MarkA have just attested, you can blow the top right out of the collet die if you put too much pressure on the ram!!! Knowing Howler, I can't imagine how he could put enough pressure on the ram to blow the top out of the die /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sometimes it is better not to operate under the theory that "If you can't break it on the first try get a bigger hammer!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding Howler!!!!

Sad but true, you hit the nail on the head Silverfox. But I'm a changed man, more kinder and Gentler, now where that hammer i see a fly

Back