270 Win for coyotes

Originally Posted By: RagnCajn
I have seen one other shot with a 270. I took a newbie back in the late 80's and all he had was a 270
to use.

Boy, it hurts to be called a newbie even if it was 20 years ago.

That HP was doing 3100fps (a mild load) but it obviously disentigrated inside the pooch. RagnCajn
skinned her out starting with a small cut on a back leg. He proceeded to turn her inside out with
no additional cuts. When he finished, he had a perfect pelt without a mark on it. I couldn't even
find the entrance hole.

Nice to see your name in GREEN again Cajn man.

I used to often shoot yotes with a 270 early in the fall before the furs were worth much, simply for fun and live game practice before deer season.

I found that the 130 gr sp, while not as fur friendly as a smaller bullet, were not as bad as one would expect. Coupled with the fact that its also a great deer bullet, this would be my recommendation since you'll only have to do one sight in, and one batch of re loads, or the same factory loads.

Originally Posted By: ironworkerWhat bullet would I want if I want to turn a coyote in to a lot of Red Mist ? I shoot a 270 WSM

I have only shot 2 yotes with it, but the 90gr hollow point is as unfur friendly as you can get from what I have seen

I load 110 V-Maxes @ 2900 fps. and sometimes, if I do my part, it is spooky accurate in my BAR Safari with a BOSS. Out of a clean barrel, hand cycled, I have to shoot at least 3 to 4 fouling shots before it settles in. Had a trigger job done to it and it is'nt a jewell, but it's well worth the time and trouble. The BOSS is great, but after finding the sweet spot, the plastic shim had to be replaced. It also kept getting loose after x amounts of shots, which I finally used locktite and that solved those issues. The cool thing about a BOSS is a lot of the time you can see your hit or miss through your scope. (4.5 x 14 with a premier reticle job with elevation and wind dots. I have shot, one time after fouling shots and not letting the magazine go it so it cycles itself, shot half inch groups @ 200 yards. I can't and neither can the gun do it most of the time, I just saying what has happend on rare occasions. But even on rare occasions, its still pretty cool. It's just a 3/4 inch to a 1 1/4 inch grouping gun.
I have weighed and separated brass by neck thickness, used RWS, Winchester brass, Fed. match primers with redding competition dies, recorded each shot I have ever shot through the mighty BAR, but I still want more.
The V-maxes have had different results. Although super accurate, they mostly blow through shots. I now shoot a Kimber Montana 243 with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips @ 3950 (winter) to 4050 (summer) with no blow throughs. Waiting for the Kimber to return from the gunsmith, having a muzzle break put on it. Lapua brass is almost as cool as a convertible full of college cheerleaders! Well, maybe not quite that cool, but the brass is so good, it determines what caliber my upcoming rifles will be. A custom job if everything turns out well. Sorry for the long post.

Actually the .270 isn't as bad on a coyote hide as one would think. Much depends on the bullet of course. I've used the Sierra 90gr HP and results vary from no damage at all on frontal shots to massive freaking trauma with an exit the size of a softball on side shots. Good news is they all drop like a rock. Lethal to say the least.

I've shot quite a few coyotes while deer hunting with Nosler BTs and other run of the mill soft points and normally it's just in and out with a quarter sized exit. When you hit spine or shoulder joint it can get a bit messy though.

If you aren't collecting fur I say use it. Even with regular loads recoil is pretty mild. If you reload I'd consider investing in a second rifle for calling. Mainly because of the increased amount of powder with a .270 to get the same results you can get with a more efficient cartridge.

Good hunting

Iornworker, the 90g Sierra Hp loaded with IMR 3031 or AA2700 at 3550 is like planting a grenade up their rear end. I have never shot a load more accurate with these two powders with the 90g Sierra in the 270.

We killed a dozen or so deer with the 90g Sierra also, but shot placement is critical.

I had one 270 that I had shot so many jackrabbits with the 90's, that you could drop a bullet 3" down the barrel! This has to be the all time jackrabbit popp'en load that I have ever found.

Brand new Remington sporter barrels are cheap, so you can just blaze away. More guys should shoot the 270 for varmints, they are extremely accurate out to 300 or a little further for Crow size varmints. If you add a muzzle break to the barrel, it kicks like a 223 with the 90's.

I am going to try using my Ruger M 77 rifle in 270 win with 130 Gr. ammo for Coyotes this Year.I am not a fur hunter.Just want to cut down their numbers from eating our Deer & their spring born Fawns, etc.

A 130gr sp some times pencils on through with only two little holes. More often than not it leaves a hole big enough to park the truck in. I've shot 4 yotes with it, one looked like it had been scared to death, 3 looked like they stepped on a land mine... a big land mine.

I just loaded up some Hornady V Max 110 Gr. Bullets, To try out on some Coyotes, As I am not a Pelt Hunter Just cutting down on those Fawn Killers, That have been putting a large, Dent in the Deer herds in my area the last few years, I hate to waste my Factory 130 Gr, Deer Ammo on Coyotes, So decided to try out the 110 Gr. Bullets etc.Any feedback guys will be appreciated, I am hoping that I do not have to reset my Scope to much, By changing from 130 Gr. to the 110 Gr. As I have my Rifle set dead on at 100 Yds For the 130 Ammo for my Deer Hunting etc.

If you dont care about fur (I do not) and you dont want to reload, you might want to try Hornady ammo #8056 140 gr. BTSP Interlock. These are being shot out of a Browning 1885 single shot.

Here is a 100 yd shot:

JsU7hr6.jpg

This is not cheap ammo but if you are not shooting a lot the results are wonderful. I also use this on deer with amazing results..... If hit in the boiler room they might take several steps but not many. There is usually no exit and the lungs and heart are soup.

Just a thought on this revived thread.

Last edited:
Back