Best 22 hornet rifle?

I have a Thompson Center (TCR), no longer made, with a 12 twist barrel. It shoots 45 grain bullets all day long at one inch. It won't stabilize the 35 grainers worth a [beeep]. Groups are baseball size. It I had to do it again I would get a Browning A-bolt or low wall.

I have a CZ 527 full stock on order, but have the handi rifle and a contender pistol in hornet.

To be honest, the handi rifle I have is pretty accurate, but in my opinion aren't the value they used to be, and think you have a better chance of getting an out of the box shooter in the ruger, cz or savage.

I really like my H&R guns but their are better options.

I have two Savage 40s , two Ruger 77/22H, and a Savage 322a - all shoot great. All shoot the same load, 13 gr Lil Gun ,small pistol primer and Hornady V max - either 35 gr or 40 gr , doesnt matter which. Just get one.

I know your situation and think you made a good chambering choice. Unless you can find a good used CZ for 500 bucks, it looks like Savage or the short-barreled "Remington" is your only choice. The Model 40 Savage I had basically shot well, but had no magazine and was basically a re-worked rimfire. The improved Model 25 repeater replaced it. I have one and it is better overall than the 40 I had, although it still shoots a 1 1/2" cold barrel flyer after being gone through at the factory (groups after that can be good as good as 5/8" with factory stuff.) As I can afford at this time to buy a Browning or CZ when one can be found, I 'll probably be selling this one for under your price max.

Last edited:
If your a Stevens lover, couple 22H on GB presently. Think one came up as 322a and a 332-a in bolt search. Couple 77/22H @ $305 and 400 right now.

Back