Most versatile ~ 55 gr .223 bullet?

Gatorgrizz27

I'm researching loads for my .223 20" barrel "all around" rifle and trying to determine the most versatile bullet or bullets. It will be used for coyote/predators out to 300 yards, varmints/targets out to 600 yards, and deer/hogs within 150 yards.

I had planned on trying the 53 gr Vmax for most things and the 53/55 gr TSX for deer and hogs, the idea being that the high BC of the Vmax would be ideal for longer ranges, and within 150 yards the TSX would be close enough to not need to adjust the scope. I also like that there are similar factory loads available if I forget/lose my handloads, I could be confident shooting box ammo.

The only concern is I have seen more than a couple reports or the Vmax not penetrating sufficiently on yotes, and cratering them if it hits a bone, allowing them to get away. Obviously I wouldn't aim for the shoulder joint, but sometimes things happen. The TSX loads don't seem like they would properly expand on them either and have the opposite, but similar problem of them escaping.

I don't want to get into having a load for every animal and carrying around 3-5 types of ammunition, let alone being able to make the mistake of shooting a hog with a vmax. Maybe something like the 55 gr Hornady SP would be ideal?

I run 50zmax and 55sbk for varmints and 65gr sgk is going to be my deer load when i have a doe tag. Mine is 20in also. I have not used the 53vmax, catshooter had posted about his bc test results and he showed the 55sbk will beat the 53vmax so I took his word for it and the 55sbk cuts the wind very well. I havent compared it to the 65sgk yet but it dominates all others that i have tried, 60vmax might do a hair better but they would not shoot from my rifle worth a hoot.

Last edited:
Yep I've been shooting the Remington PSP 55 gr for a couple years now (handloads and factory ammo) and it has done everything I need it to

I also have this problem but its with blacktail deer in hog and bear country. Dont like to overkill the little deer as the meat is minimal anyway but am tired of not shooting at bears i see.(i carry a 223 wssm loaded with 65 gr gamekings for blacktail).Think the ultimate solution is different gun. IMO the .223 is not as versitale as you want it to be

I use the 55gr NBT as my current 223 load, but I'm not shooting very far.

I did have the 53 Vmax "splash" on one of the two coyotes I shot with that load.

I just bought a bunch of 55gr Hornady SP for plinking and might hunt with them as well if they shoot well in my rifle.

I use my .30-06 as a primary deer/hog gun if I'm going on an intentional hunt, but I would like the .223 to pull double duty if given the opportunity to shoot a hog, or my girlfriend to shoot a doe at 75 yards. Will the 53/55 gr TSX drop a coyote on the spot? Or will the 55 gr SP drop them without an exit and kill a deer or hog easily as well? It seems like the coyote bullet needs to fall under the medium game size load more so than the varmint load. What about the nosler partition 60gr on coyotes? I really don't care what it weighs as long as it will stabilize in a 1:12 twist and do the job.

Originally Posted By: Bearcat 74Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERSerria .224 dia. 55 gr. SBT GameKing 1365

Use it for everything if you want one load.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1365/224-dia-55-gr-SBT

Been shooting these for years and they have been accurate in every 223 I have tried them in, they have been very effective on game and very accurate on paper.

yup, very very good bullets, I like them too...

the "problem" with them is they are old school blue collar bullets, not the latest "sexy" style.

Pretty much the only bullet I shoot in my .223 is the TSX or TTSX in 55 grain and they kill everything dead like they are supposed to. They shoot well enough for me that I don't mess with another bullet for anything including hogs occasionally a 300 + pounder and a doe and buck every year. I recommend them to anyone.

While night hunting for yotes I have killed several hogs with factory Hornady 40gr v-max. Had a couple runners but most just dropped. I'm not saying it is what I would have picked but it's what I've had, I don't think you can go wrong with any you listed as long as they will shoot well out of your gun. Something with a boat tail might help out on the longer stuff.

Sierra Game King 55gr. spbt # 1365
thumbup.gif

Back