lights,lights, everyone has the best

manofsteel

okay, here we go again. everyone keeps talking about how this light is better than light but nobody had posted any kind of pics like what was posted showing the sniper hog light. regardless if its more cloudy some nights, dew point different, eyes different, bottom line is that if you have the best light then instead of always making excuse as to why you do not post pics like the guy did for the sniper hog light then that just about proves you know you can not beat it.
heck, i even did lot of looking around last night for the coyote light but could not find anything except some videos they had and even it did not look any better than the sniper hog lights.
i do not own the hog light, actually do not even own a red led, using a red filter but getting ready to order some lights for myself and then my son's guns so looking to see what would be the best bang for the buck and so far based on pics here, not say so, the sniper hog light has been the most impressive.

i myself am like a lot of folks who have started using this site, everyone interested in lights.
very confusing when everyone says they have the best but only one which is the sniper hog light as far as i can tell has actually showed what it will do.
i was almost convinced to wait until after the holidays and get the coyote light and even spent a lot of time last night looking at videos of it on the web. To me it did not look better than the sniper hog light. the main thing i see it has going is that you can adjust the brightness output, but if its a kill light looks like you want it as bright as it will go when you want to use it. i saw some video that shows what looks like someone else holding the light and pointing it so a lot of it was on the ground in front of the target and someone else made the shot. not sure about everyone else but i myself hunt almost always by myself so looks to me like a scan light to see the eyes then when you have the gun ready and flip on the kill light you want to be able to see as much as possible right then and not have to adjust brightness. At least here in north carolina from what i have seen once the kill light comes on you do not have them running around in a big open field waiting for you to make a shot. its a very critical time in my experience and i am no expert at all, by far only a rookie, but when i turn the light on to shoot and have my gun up and ready i want to be able to see with as much brightness as possible. i do not work for sniper or anyone else that sells lights. i am a electronic engineer by trade and trying to determine where to spend my hard earned cash. once i do, i have a total of 3 guns i use when i go out to try and i mean try to hunt coyote. seems like here i could kill raccoons, fox all night long but the coyote are a different story, at least for m. so to settle it all just show what your light really does instead of saying too many variables involved. heck, that is what i would do if i sold them.

Manofsteel,

If I take pics of every beam of every light and post them and then another person takes pic of another light and alters them digitally to make it look better what is it going to prove? Do you believe every picture you see online?
Im not trying to start a storm here, im just stating facts. Unless every light was photographed on the same night at the same target with the same camera on the same settings you are not proving anything.
In this day and age it is not hard to alter photos to be anything you want them to be. So if I take the time to do this and post pics. Then someone not as honest as I doctors their pics people will flock to them to buy there lights!!!??.. I have actually seen more than one company do this in the past and it is a disgusting sales tactic. Pictures prove nothing, dead animals and happy customers do..
I sell about six different brands of lights here and I will give you the most honest facts about each light that I sell period.
With that said Coyote light is the best light I have ever seen and you will not go wrong with it..

Jeremiah

I have tried several of the lights and I think most of them with a quality scope is fine for 175 yards or so. To me that is plenty far at night. I have since switched to a white led in my kill light that will shine as far as I would shoot my 223. But the whole point of calling is bringing the predator in not trying a hail mary shot. If it will not come to a decent distance at night leave it til next time. To me if you cant kill animals with the ewt, night eyes, or wicked lights you either need your eyes checked, a better scope, or learn to set up and call better because a little more brightness will not help very much!

Just about all of the lights on the market today are of good quality. Do you need a $300 light to go out and shoot a predator at night? Of course not. I killed countless fox growing up as a kid by simply hanging an old tape recorder in a tree and hunting during a full moon with my dad. Later in life I moved up to an old NiteLite headlamp with a big battery pack.
Do we need all the high tech latest equipment to be successful, heck no. Does it help, yes to a certain extent. Is it necessary, no. Sometimes basic woodsmanship and knowledge of the habits of the critter you are hunting are all that are needed. JMHO.

Manofsteel,

Jeremiah makes a lot of sense.

Photos of different light beams will not necessarily prove how the lights perform, their durability, their features, etc.

If you really want to find out which light will meet your needs,you should test/compare them for yourself. As I stated in previous posts Night Eyes offers a money back guarantee, no questions asked. We do ask that the light(s) be returned within 14 days and in the same condition as you received them. Night Eyes will pay for the return shipping so you will have nothing to lose if you choose not to keep them. Since you seem to be struggling over what light to choose, maybe you should consider testing a variety of lights before making your final decision. I am sure there are other light sponsors on this site that also offer a money back guarantee. Worse case scenario, you will be out a little cash for shipping but you should get the answers you are looking for. There are a lot of good lights out there and the only way you will definitely be satisfied is to do your own testing.

Joe

Beam shots are pretty much useless unless all tested at the same time with the same camera settings. Aperture and shutter speed can be adjusted to mislead what you're actually seeing. If anything you'd be seeing less through the camera lens than in real life. The term camera light is used all the time in hunting shows, it's still light enough to hunt but not to film, so why would you think taking pictures of red spots on a wall or on an object would be any different.

Other than the coyote light focusable aspheric lens most of these other lights I would bet are very close. I would assume that most of these use a Cree LED. Those specs are readily available on Crees website. Depending on the reflector and the driver used each light will differ.

Look back to my lumens and lux post from a few years ago.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...726#Post2293726

The coyote light comes in at the clear winner at around 36000 lux from what I've been told.

Just to throw out some numbers at one yard on todays lights with 10000 lux being the minimum and 18000 being the max. An object is illumintaed with 1 lux at 100 and 134 yards respectively. Depending on your optics, your eyes, the weather, cloud cover, moon phase and who know how many other variables you may need less than 1 lux to identify and shoot your intended target. With that being the case and you only need .5 or .3 lux (civil twilight) your range is extended significantly. I would think any of these would work, the XLR250 has been claiming 250 yards for years and it wasn't near the top when I read those lights. There isn't a magic light out there, just a lot of choices today.

Last edited:
Here is my take. I have spoken to Jeremiah on the phone. Been to his website. Talked to him on facebook(didn't take the ecaller first day of deer in Pa). I have been to night eyes website and looked at his lights. I have the ewt light combo from Jeremiah. I plan on getting a set of night eyes soon as a second set. If you want to see which light is best for you and your budget, talk to the guys that use them. As for me, the ewt lights work great. You don't need a super duper refractor tractor hologram frickin laser beam to kill at night. You need to be attentive, warm, and be paying attention and with a little know how, you can get the job done. I'm sure Jeremiah would gladly talk to you on the phone and give you real world distances and features of each light. He actually spoke to me on his way to a meeting.

Bob

Manofsteel,

I am the guy that posted the pictures of the sniper hog light. I guess someone should have told me i was on the wrong forum, lol. I saw some people, including you, asking for a picture of what people's lights looked like at night. So i went outside with my light and took some pictures and posted them for yall to see. I wasn't trying to market or sell sniper hog lights by any means. I am happy with mine but like i said before, its my first light and i have nothing to compare it to. I killed my first coyote two weeks ago, so i am not an expert by anyone's standard. With that being said, I agree with what Joe and Jeremiah are saying. That was a picture of what my light looked like on that particular night, taken by my specific camera. I can relate to what you are feeling because i was in your shoes a few weeks ago trying to decide what light to buy for my first time. The best way to know is to try one out and see if you like it. A money back guarantee sounds pretty good to me! And i'm sure talking to someone who uses their lights all the time would help you out. I have killed ONE coyote, how many do you think jeremiah has killed?

Originally Posted By: RP91Manofsteel,

I am the guy that posted the pictures of the sniper hog light. I guess someone should have told me i was on the wrong forum, lol. I saw some people, including you, asking for a picture of what people's lights looked like at night. So i went outside with my light and took some pictures and posted them for yall to see. I wasn't trying to market or sell sniper hog lights by any means. I am happy with mine but like i said before, its my first light and i have nothing to compare it to. I killed my first coyote two weeks ago, so i am not an expert by anyone's standard. With that being said, I agree with what Joe and Jeremiah are saying. That was a picture of what my light looked like on that particular night, taken by my specific camera. I can relate to what you are feeling because i was in your shoes a few weeks ago trying to decide what light to buy for my first time. The best way to know is to try one out and see if you like it. A money back guarantee sounds pretty good to me! And i'm sure talking to someone who uses their lights all the time would help you out. I have killed ONE coyote, how many do you think jeremiah has killed?

RP91,
You did nothing wrong at all, just just did what a guy asked. I was just making a statement to him that pics are worthless unless taken at the same time with all variables the exact same.
I'm glad your happy with your light, There are alot of great lights on the market today and we should all be grateful for the invent of the high watt colored LEDs.
Congrats on your first Coyote and may you kill many many more. I have been blessed to have been able to travel this country and kill many Coyotes, Fox, Bobcat and other predatory animals. The best part of this has been the great people I have met and had the pleasure of hunting with while doing this. I am no expert, but I have been around the block a time or two( and I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.. LOL)..

Jeremiah

Manofsteel, we all understand your sense of frustration on trying to get the right light and not make a mistake. Honestly, I believe all of these lights mentioned here are perfectly adequate to kill predators at night. Dealer service and support may be more important than the light itself in the event something does go wrong with one.

As I've written before, I have the XLR 100, XLR 250, and the Coyote Light. One of my hunting buddies has the Carnivore lights. As stated many times, the Coyote Light is a notch above all the others currently on the market, but about 3 times the cost. I've killed a good number of coyotes with just the XLR 100 to scan and the XLR 250 to shoot. In truth a good percentage of them could have been killed with the XLR 100 alone. In my opinion, more night hunters are suffering from too much light rather than not enough. We have a natural tendency to want to see more and use as much light as possible while we really need to use the least amount possible. I think we're beginning to see coyotes hang up at distance because they are being hit too early with these bright lights.

The ability to identify is not based solely on being able to distinctly make out the body of a coyote/predator. Gaining experience will help identify them by their actions and movements as well. Sure when I bought the Coyote Light one of the things I wanted was maximum throw and intensity (when needed) on rare occasions. Believe me when I tell you that the best thing about the Coyote Light is the completely variable throw and intensity. With that said, I'm still adjusting to not over lighting them. I keep the Coyote Light on very low all the time, and only bring it up when the coyotes are close enough to shoot. It has taken some adjustment to use the power of this light to advantage and not turn it into a disadvantage.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any one of these lights mentioned here if I didn't already have 3.

Glad we're all in agreement here. DoubleUp has a good point, too much light can be a bad thing. Thats why i got the 50LR instead of the 66LR. My dentist and family friend has the XLR 250, says its great. I bet if you pay $150+ for a light, its gonna be pretty good. Just pick one and go hunting!

Doubleup

Thank you. We tried to build a light that will work better in every set location, whether you are close and tight or in the wide open. Our strongest feature is that we are the most dim light out there. You will never over power or shock a critter no matter how close he is.Then you have the ability to slowly blind him and use the light as camouflage. It is also nice to have the ability to identify that coyote at extreme ranges versus calling at a deer or reflector or ice crystals and waste precious hunting time. Another great feature is our regulated circuit. At 25% power (what we typically scan with) we get 48 hrs of light from a single charge. I believe this sets us apart from anyone else in the light business.

We will be posting more videos and pics from us and some of our users but like Jeremiah said it is not a good judge of the quality of a light just the quality of the camera and videographer.

Luke, thank you for building a great light. The ability to have total control of intensity and focus is really the lights greatest feature in my opinion. Of course the ability to really reach out there when needed is what originally attracted me, and it is a powerful light. I'm really impressed with the low power consumption and fast recharge time as well. I'm so glad that I went ahead with the purchase as it is worth the extra expense for me.

i just received my nighteyes headlamp w/halo shield and gun light yesterday. I took them out last night. The weather was calm with a temp of 14 degrees, a slight overcast, half inch of snow on the ground and 3/4 moon. my first impression was that the headlamp could be a lil more powerful but still is a good lil light out to 150 yards. if there was a little less light from the moon it may have been better. the gun light was above my expectations i could easily see and identify a rabbit moving in the crp about 150 yards out through the scope. Ill say if i had called in a yote i could have identified at 200 yards easily and seen eyes much farther. there was enough light with the snow on the ground and the moon as bright as it was that i almost didnt even need the lights. If it was pitch black out my hunting would have been better and im sure the lights would have been better as well. i know i dont have any pics and your not asking for peoples opinions on lights but i can tell you after years of using a handheld spotlight im sure glad i made this purchase. Customer service was great as well.

Wildshooter,
Wait until you actually get something to respond. You will be even more surprised at how far away you will pick up the eyes. If you are running at full power you are going to see eyes at least 300 yds outs. I didn't believe it until I actually saw it. I run mine at about 60% and have no problems seeing at eyes at that distance. There is a lot of nights that I think I am not getting the distance until something pops up way out and I realize that I am seeing further than I thought. Just keep in mind that the scanning light is to just pick up eyes and the gun light is to I.D. Good luck and keep us posted as to how they work out for you. You won't be disappointed, especially after you see a few coming in.

Back